• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hoard of Norman Silver Coins Found in Somerset

NeutronJack

2,528 silver coins dating back to the Battle of Hastings found by an 'amateur' metal detectorist.

I guess he's not an 'amateur' anymore!

Metal detectorists Lisa Grace and Adam Staples

The coins bear the heads of both the defeated King Harold II and William I (the Conqueror). While, a few show Edward the Confessor.

But, highly unlikely to make an appearance in The Silver Forum's 'Buy & Sell' section anytime soon!

Further details via the following links ...

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-bristol-49501692/metal-detectorists-find-hoard-of-norman-coins-in-somerset

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/08/28/major-hoard-5m-norman-coins-early-example-tax-avoidance-british/

NeutronJack

• NeutronJack changed the title to Hoard of Norman Silver Coins Found in Somerset
6 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

@kimchi has stuff burried all over the place. :ph34r:

My neighbour says he has sleepless nights worrying about my 'mole infestation' spreading to his prize-winning lawn, particularly when he hears me outside 'dealing with them' at night 🤣

Funnily enough lots of my closest relatives have serious mole issues too. Very unlucky family we are there.

:ph34r:

55 minutes ago, Slowhand said:

The nightmare of every owner of a true rare coin -

which contains five times the number of coins bearing the head of William the Conqueror than currently known to exist in total,’

I know. Imagine if your super rare coin was heavily devalued if these coins were to hit the market. 

though I doubt that would happen. I'd imagine museum's will be lining up to purchase them at  below true market value.  They in turn will earn from it by the paid viewing public.

Funny a thread was started on metal detecting only a few days ago. Like i said 'There is hidden treasure out there - someone will find it. '

Someone found it - i must be psychic.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I think Nottingham City Council would be well and truly pissed off with me if I drive a plough through the Arboretum. Good for a laugh, better than driving a motorbike over a golf course. (That was 50 years ago.)

12 hours ago, kimchi said:

My neighbour says he has sleepless nights worrying about my 'mole infestation' spreading to his prize-winning lawn, particularly when he hears me outside 'dealing with them' at night 🤣

Funnily enough lots of my closest relatives have serious mole issues too. Very unlucky family we are there.

:ph34r:

Here’s @kimchi in action!

A35FF528-7845-4B59-8A22-233ABE4A1006.gif.56be8ec6f666a598f636002230d37271.gif

Rule #1 When you find buried treasure, the first thing you do is TELL NOBODY!!!!!!!  

The next story you read will be "The local govt. Of Somerset has decided to confiscate the coins due to historical value"  Suckers...

4 hours ago, STONE said:

Rule #1 When you find buried treasure, the first thing you do is TELL NOBODY!!!!!!!  

The next story you read will be "The local govt. Of Somerset has decided to confiscate the coins due to historical value"  Suckers...

In the UK failure to report 'treasure' finds to the local coroner within 14-days carries the threat of unlimited fine or 3-months prison. If the coroner's inquest finds it to be treasure the crown 'own' it and you, as its discoverer, along with the land owner/tennant each get a share of its value. If it's not treasure you get it back once you work out with the land owner/tennant who gets what.

Seems to work but only hear about treasure finds when it's a significant find so don't know how many smaller finds feel ripped off with their settlements!

Exactly my point!  How would anyone know about it if you dont tell anyone... First mistake they make is calling channel 5 news, "Look what I found!"  Loose lips sinks ships... And in the eyes of the "crown" they own pretty much everything... You would be lucky to get the left over table scraps after they decide to allocate 99% to themselves. Standard taxes of course.🤪

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."Thomas Jefferson

On 29/08/2019 at 12:08, Thelonerangershorse said:

Has anyone yet been out to bury a tube of Britannias for some future generation to find? or better yet some royal mint lunar pigs.

That is how I got introduced to silver, while out walking the dog I found - well to be honest the dog found it while having a dig about, what I still consider to be a very decent amount of silver coins and bars, kilos worth.  I handed it into my local police station's lost and found first thng the following mornng, the dog dug it up on our last walk of the day, which is after midnight, and our local station closes at 4pm and the closest one that is open 24 hours is over an hours drive away.  Long story short, the police took my details and location of where the silver was found held onto the silver for a few months, and I imagine that they advertised locally that somebody had found it and handed it in to their lost and found, nobody called in to collect it or claim it, so a few months after I handed it in - it was more than two months later probably closer to four months,  I received a call from my local police station's lost and found and was informed that it was now mine, and to come and collect it.  Not all of the coins where Britannias, the majority of it is, but it also contained a rather large collection of silver one ounce coins from a lot of various other countries, the oldest coin found in that find - since then I've found quite a lot of silver coins while out walking the dog, dates from the early 1980's and the newest is post 2000.

It's been my experience that it's not unusual to find silver coins and bars either burried or hidden in tree hollows on public land.

6 hours ago, adamthetaller said:

In the UK failure to report 'treasure' finds to the local coroner within 14-days carries the threat of unlimited fine or 3-months prison. If the coroner's inquest finds it to be treasure the crown 'own' it and you, as its discoverer, along with the land owner/tennant each get a share of its value. If it's not treasure you get it back once you work out with the land owner/tennant who gets what.

Seems to work but only hear about treasure finds when it's a significant find so don't know how many smaller finds feel ripped off with their settlements!

That is not entirely true, I've found lots of Roman coins, well over three hundred years old - anything under 300 years old you don't always have to report - content of precious metals has some baring in whether or not you need to report the find as well as the number of coins/artefacts also keep in mind coins found in close proximity to each other are counted as a single find even if you where to find the coins days/weeks/months apart, and you only report human remains to the local coroner, see these links for a far far better explination than I can offer:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/scotland/law-and-courts/legal-system-s/if-you-find-treasure-or-lost-goods/

https://www.gov.uk/treasure

I'm actually currently waiting to hear back from the National Museums of Scotland - the place on Chambers Street for those of you who know Edinburgh, about a bunch of Roman coins the dog and I found a few weeks ago

@Seth blimey! What kind of dog do you have? :o How much would you want to let me have it cloned?

Screw 'treasure trove', it's robbery imo. If they want it let them have it if they're willing to pay full market value. Our ancestors paid for all the royal palaces, the crown jewels, just about everything else they own, directly or otherwise, and sometimes with not just their lifelong toil and struggle but their lives. They set fire to the City of London to clear out our poor ancestors for their worldwide money-bloodsucking racket. If they want any treasure I find they can have it once they pay me reparations and back pay me rental share on the crown jewels etc and ground rent for the part of the City of London my family came from!!!

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

Screw 'treasure trove', it's robbery imo. If they want it let them have it if they're willing to pay full market value. Our ancestors paid for all the royal palaces, the crown jewels, just about everything else they own, directly or otherwise, and sometimes with not just their lifelong toil and struggle but their lives. They set fire to the City of London to clear out our poor ancestors for their worldwide money-bloodsucking racket. If they want any treasure I find they can have it once they pay me reparations and back pay me rental share on the crown jewels etc and ground rent for the part of the City of London my family came from!!!

Im wondering how your ancestors were poor if they owned land in the City of London?  

9 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Im wondering how your ancestors were poor if they owned land in the City of London?  

The City of London (Square Mile - freemasonic/occult architecture/design/layout) only came into being after the poors' homes were all destroyed in the 'Great Fire'  and it was rebuilt and they (the survivors) were rehoused elsewhere (in 'much' nicer places of course - there is always a seemingly golden carrot - the 'programme' has not changed (these nutters have no imagination, look at Grenfell!). It was just another part of the city until then, a very squalid one indeed by most accounts. Look at the value now. There is also the angle that the plans for the rebuilding would have taken years to draw up and could not have possibly happened in the timeframe given following the fire - they had to have been in the works for years, and/or the chronology we are given is wrong.

As a historian I actually believe now very little indeed of anything that is not within the last two generations of passed down oral experience from family etc (but only folk with no vested interest - for example I had the opportunity many years ago to instigate a relationship with Martin Luther King Jr's family and gain my PhD off the back of that, possibly even become the leading world scholar on American Civil Rights - but I now believe his story too is a big lie in terms of what lays behind it, even if unknown to the family members, or understandably too painful for them to accept). So I cannot be sure (naturally) of what happened at all with the Great Fire. All I have is my genealogy (which is also troublesome in itself as due to social stigma wrong fathers were often given to record, mothers too - i.e. if an unmarried girl had a baby her parents would often 'take it on' as their own to avoid scandal). A more recent example would be the 'Queen Mum' who was nicknamed 'Cookie', why? Because she is thought to be the offspring of her actual father and a dalliance with the cook - very much not uncommon in those days with the aristocarcy and servants at their beck and call.

All I can really say there is that family are recorded to have lived there, and were (forcibly) relocated after so that the City could be built in the undoubtedly freemasonic/occult grand design (easily researched).

The royals and their favoured family/servants owning so much off the back and slavitude of the people I don't think is really in question is it? Look to Charles I and then to Charles II (who presided over the great fire) and infer the possible deals done. And now we are ramping up for Charles III - going to be 'interesting'!

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

Sorry for the long reply - to cut a long story short and to save you some reading it is presented as 'history' that they were very poor quarters (which many records do back up) and so were pretty worthless, basically mostly hovels. Then the great fire (the phoenix from the flames, the order out of chaos) destroyed it and they built a new City State there (like the Vatican and Washington D.C. it is technically and legally a separate State from the rest of England/the UK/whatever).

I found an 1878 Indian head penny as a child digging in my dad’s backyard. I mistakingly showed it to Him and he confiscated it under the grounds it was found on his property and he was the property owner. A few years later I found a watch in my back yard on the grass. My dad is Still talking about that watch he lost. 😜

8 hours ago, kimchi said:

Sorry for the long reply - to cut a long story short and to save you some reading it is presented as 'history' that they were very poor quarters (which many records do back up) and so were pretty worthless, basically mostly hovels. Then the great fire (the phoenix from the flames, the order out of chaos) destroyed it and they built a new City State there (like the Vatican and Washington D.C. it is technically and legally a separate State from the rest of England/the UK/whatever).

So you disagree with the official version that the City independent state goes back to Edward the Confessor, and that the city was rebulit mostly to the previous layout, because landowners wouldnt go along with alternative plans?  

The point before was that as landowner in the City, even in a poor part, one would not be poor in 1666.  Im interested if you know what street this was.

On 30/08/2019 at 16:46, STONE said:

Exactly my point!  How would anyone know about it if you dont tell anyone... First mistake they make is calling channel 5 news, "Look what I found!"  Loose lips sinks ships... And in the eyes of the "crown" they own pretty much everything... You would be lucky to get the left over table scraps after they decide to allocate 99% to themselves. Standard taxes of course.🤪

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."Thomas Jefferson

They may have reported the silver but kept the gold!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/08/2019 at 22:32, kimchi said:

@Seth blimey! What kind of dog do you have? :o How much would you want to let me have it cloned?

He's nothing special, just a staffy that I adopted from the great people at the Edinburgh Dog and Cat Home

On 31/08/2019 at 04:39, Michal said:

My dog is just digging up stones. Any training tips ? 😁

Ninety nine times out of a hundred all my dog digs up is either stones, or manky dog toys that other dogs have lost - Mutley has no interest in brand new toys the mankier and more sodden they are the more he wants to bring them home, though on the odd occassion he does dig up the odd thing of interest, I would say let the dog enjoy digging away and just pay attention and have at little nose about and around where your dog is digging, that's what I do, and we have found some interesing things over the years.  I will say thouh that where you are and where you walk your dog will have a lot to do with what your dog will find having a dig, for example your dog is more likely to dig up Roman coins in Bath, around Hadrian's Wall than for example John O'Groats, and I live in such an area, I don't own nor have I ever used land based metal detectors, I did used to do quite a bit of work in my younger days for a company called Ming Wrecks back in the days when it was a cowboy operation run by an American.

On 31/08/2019 at 09:56, Pampfan said:

I found an 1878 Indian head penny as a child digging in my dad’s backyard. I mistakingly showed it to Him and he confiscated it under the grounds it was found on his property and he was the property owner. A few years later I found a watch in my back yard on the grass. My dad is Still talking about that watch he lost. 😜

My grandfather found a few Roman coins in among his potatoes while digging them up, he was finding one or two every couple of years in his back garden.  Sadly sinced he passed away and the house and backgarden have been renovated we've found nothing.

Archived