• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How to sneak gold and silver into the UK

Just a friendly conversation piece but who can recall movies where pm's were moved around sneakily, like goldfinger with his rolls royce, morcombe and wise with their jewelry in the tank in 'The Riviera Touch'....who can name a movie where they did this, I'll start.

Goldfinger - Smelted gold into car parts on the rolls royce.

The Riviera Touch - stolen jewelry hidden in the petrol tank.

The French Connection - Drugs hidden in the rocker panels.

French Connection 2 - Drugs hidden on the bottom of a ship.

2 minutes ago, ossie111 said:

The Italian job - Original version

Rats your typing was quicker than mine @ossie111 👍🤣

"ITALIAN JOB" - - mini's and shoot load of gold ends up hanging over the cliff!

Ps I have actually ridden motorbike over that Road!

Not movie-related, but gold was hidden from the Nazis during the war by dissolving it in aqua regia, then separated from the solution later.

Though the next trick would be to get the gold- aqua regia solution passed customs inspectors.

i have seen pure silver coat hangers. From a gold standpoint there isn't a lot of point smuggling it in with there being no duty - other than on gold jewellry but you could just wear that. Casting silver into other items normally made of base metal would work but there would be all the cost of fabrication which might well be more than the duty on the silver. So we are left with coins and bar bought outside the EU. To be worthwhile you would need to be bringing in quite a few kilos. Bringing it in on a plane gets more difficult so we are talking about a post-Brexit situation and bringing it in a car/van. i have no idea what the checks will be like on cars. i can only remember a time when the UK was in the EU. You could decide you were going to hide the silver in the car/van. If someone were greedy the weight of the vehicle would be excessive and the Customs would smell a rat. Silver could be hidden in a car. i think Customs are more focussed on illegals and drugs. i don't suppose it would be too hard to bring a bit back stashed under the seats.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

• 3 weeks later...

During WW2 when the Nazi were advancing, I read some rich guy smelt all his gold, recast them as massive door hinges, secured them to his various sturdy big doors around his home, painted the hinges.  He was captured, surived the war, returned home.  His wealth still in tact, and his doors hanging despite his palatial mansion having been ransacked to find jewels and valuables 

10 hours ago, Paul said:

on the flip side of happy stories, i will lower the tone somewhat sorry :( 

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/766944/Gold-smuggler-bars-up-bum-India-Hyderabad-airport-Sajilal

“The maximum one can carry in the rear is up to 800 grams broken into pieces.”

Sounds like a challenge...

4 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

“The maximum one can carry in the rear is up to 800 grams broken into pieces.”

Sounds like a challenge...

My first thought when reading that was 'how many test runs did they do to make him comment with such certainty and what happened when 801g and above was used?'

On 27/08/2019 at 23:26, RacerCool said:

Not movie-related, but gold was hidden from the Nazis during the war by dissolving it in aqua regia, then separated from the solution later.

Though the next trick would be to get the gold- aqua regia solution passed customs inspectors.

when gold is dropped from aqua regia it resembles a reddish brown mud, easy to smuggle mixed in with instant coffee or similar, separate with water as the gold powder is not water soluble. use a metal canister as it will still set off metal detectors in powder form. but as others have said not much point unless travelling to india (tax on gold imports and a better gold price).

Archived