• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

is getting COA with sovereigns a wise move?

Mark10110

Hi guys and gals,

I have been stalking the gold section for about 8 months asked a couple questions as most people in the UK are making the move from silver to gold.

Last time I enquired about the switch I had my mind changed from getting 9.999 gold to getting sovereigns so my question is

Is it a wise move to buy Sovereigns to stack with COA for example Atkinsons who I use for my gold sell with COA for an extra £10, I noticed people sell on here with COA get a better price?

So far I have 3 full sovs with COA and I ask to feel out if i will stick to COA purchases for stacking or if there is potential that the COA does not help/make a difference in the future?

Sorry if the answer seems obvious but its been a thought I have been fighting for 3 month.

Thanks in advance for any response.

Since you have 3 COAs at hands in each box, try swapping the COAs to a different box. And ask yourself the question that comes to your mind. Repeat again. Repeat again. Repeat again. I hope you find your answer on COA 😜

Personally I don't think the coa is essential. During these past few weeks on the forum bullion when priced right flies of the shelf. 

The coa does not add any value in my mind. 

Just now, Au79 said:

Since you have 3 COAs at hands in each box, try swapping the COAs to a different box. And ask yourself the question that comes to your mind. Repeat again. Repeat again. Repeat again. I hope you find your answer on COA 😜

that was my thoughts, the COA can be switched which makes it redundant yet people pay for COA?

Unless it is bullion COA. COA has to match bullion. It is a pairing authentication worth having but... nothing is full proof...so it’s good to have. Pay for something or nothing, one pays for what they believe.

Just now, sovereignsteve said:

if buying privately, coa is irrelevant, who could trust it?

if buying from reputable dealer, do you need a coa?

so it maybe wise to buy my first couple of years with COA that when I start selling I have COA with the first batch I sell to build rep then sell the ones without COA with built up rep? but I also have the same concern that someone replied that a COA isn't that valid as you can literally put a COA with another sov of the same year and it woulden't matter. I am hoping my youtube unboxings will give people security in the future in buying from me as I would have a good few years of me unboxing (created history) ?

I am just thinking about the future. atm its all pension stuff but who knows if in 10 years gold is at crazy highs I may be tempted to sell some off.

I am thinking I would have to start building my rep by selling all my silver brits and silver eagles before unleashing my scottsdale and QB series and then gold?

I think you're overcomplicating things. if you're buying bullion, buy from reputable source and don't pay the extra for a coa. also learn to test to confirm genuine.

if buying proofs, buy graded or in original condition with coa

i don't care how far down the line it is or how many youtube unboxing videos you have, personally I wouldn't take any notice of a coa if i was looking to buy bullion from you.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

I think you're overcomplicating things. if you're buying bullion, buy from reputable source and don't pay the extra for a coa. also learn to test to confirm genuine.

if buying proofs, buy graded or in original condition with coa

i don't care how far down the line it is or how many youtube unboxing videos you have, personally I wouldn't take any notice of a coa if i was looking to buy bullion from you.

Agree totally.  

Paying extra for a bullion coin just because it has a bit of paper with it makes no sense at all to me. 

I think a box & COA for a proof coin is important- proofs are usually a premium over spot purchase and some of the packaging is delightful and the information booklets  informative and add monetary value,  but unless you buy it yourself new, I guess you will never know if the box, coa and coin were all issued together.  

14 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

point taken

I have started collecting more bullion coins as opposed to Proof, unless it's a really sought after proof I find quite often you struggle to get back the premium that you paid. 

Happy hunting there are bargains to be had🤑

Just now, Xander said:

I have started collecting more bullion coins as opposed to Proof, unless it's a really sought after proof I find quite often you struggle to get back the premium that you paid. 

Happy hunting there are bargains to be had🤑

thx, I don't know anything about proofs and getting bargins and I am paranoid about buying a fake or something so I only buy from Atkinsons new current year coins.

Just now, Mark10110 said:

thx, I don't know anything about proofs and getting bargins and I am paranoid about buying a fake or something so I only buy from Atkinsons new current year coins.

If it's just bullion Hatton Garden Metals sometimes have some good buys. 

Having sold over a hundred proof gold coins lately for marginally more than spot and even below spot, a CoA means diddly squat in my experience.
Might be reassuring to an eBayer but in this metals business prepare to be disappointed.
I've got a shed load of empty proof set boxes and numbered certificates from gold Britannia sets and sovereign sets gathering dust right now.
Lesson learned when I paid 20% over spot in my tenderfoot days believing certified and boxed proofs would be worth a premium.
They look lovely but something is only worth what another person is prepared to pay or worst case melt value.
Don't be fooled by prices on dealer sites as they are not shifting premium priced products right now, inventories are high because they pay only 97% of spot and gamble on some suckers buying.
Try phoning HGM, Atkinsons, BullionbyPost, Chards and the others  - what will they pay for your certified coin or proof set ?
Alternatively save your call because I did just that.

Bullion doesn't come with COA so they are of no real value.  For proofs i think it means the difference between someone buying/bidding or not, so increases the market.  I wouldn't pay full market value for one without COA and box - how well has the proof been looked after if separated? 

2 minutes ago, Martlet said:

I wouldn't pay full market value for one without COA and box - how well has the proof been looked after if separated?

Usually it just means the coin has come out of a set.  I did buy one like that from a dealer (no box and no COA) and then got it graded for peace of mind.

1 hour ago, Jamesd said:

Buying from established sellers here on the forum is usually cheaper and totally stress free. I will always see if someone in here has what I'm looking for before I buy else where. 

Absolutely agree!

Only yesterday I picked up a lovely half sovereign off of S.F. member @arshimo2012 - he's a really first-rate chap to do business with and his prices are very reasonable :)

Just now, Fastnick said:

Absolutely agree!

Only yesterday I picked up a lovely half sovereign off of S.F. member @arshimo2012 - he's a really first-rate chap to do business with and his prices are very reasonable :)

I am right in thinking selling my sovs will be as easy as selling 9.999 gold brits?

COA’s for stacking and selling Bullion don’t mean anything. Dealers will always test the coins for authenticity regardless of what paperwork is accompanied. The only time a COA might bring you a few bits more - is when you sell to a collector who wants the complete packaging with the COA for his collection.

Archived