• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Strange 1984 Kennedy half dollar

SmoggyPluto

Hello my fellow stackers! I have recently started going to my bank and buying rolls of coins in the quest for some constitutional silver. I came across this interesting looking 1984 Kennedy half dollar. The color around the edge doesn't seem to show any copper? It is also tarnished in a way I haven't seen on a minted coin before. Another thing that stood out is on the left lower part of the head there is a stamp with 1960 and to the right of the head its stamped 1980. It looks like this was done by an individual and not a mint. Has anyone come across something like this before? 

20190824_004852.jpg

20190824_004728.jpg

20190824_004753.jpg

20190824_004654.jpg

Having done my fair share of coin roll hunting halves, you can almost always expect to find at least one odd coin per box.  In my opinion, coins that are circulated but less common (and larger) than your average quarter/nickel/dime become targets for people who like to modify them in some way.  Whether that means punching holes through them to wear a certain year as a necklace, painting them, gold plating them, or simply marking them, etc. So unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me that you have anything special there.

2 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

Having done my fair share of coin roll hunting halves, you can almost always expect to find at least one odd coin per box.  In my opinion, coins that are circulated but less common (and larger) than your average quarter/nickel/dime become targets for people who like to modify them in some way.  Whether that means punching holes through them to wear a certain year as a necklace, painting them, gold plating them, or simply marking them, etc. So unfortunately, it doesn't appear to me that you have anything special there.

Thank you very much for the information! Ill slap that coin right back into the roll and return it to the bank! Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

Or keep it and start a collection of oddities.   You could bank it again in the future.

I actually ended up doing just that, it almost looks like it was silver plated. Its an interesting piece, tossed into my treasure box for now.

8 minutes ago, SmoggyPluto said:

I actually ended up doing just that, it almost looks like it was silver plated. Its an interesting piece, tossed into my treasure box for now.

You could also weigh it and see if it's silver. The US Mint continued to make silver quarters and half dollars after 1964, but for collectors not for circulation. You may have found one that found its way into circulation. 

Silver versions should weigh about 12.5 grams, and non-silver around 11.3 grams. 

On 24/08/2019 at 16:19, RacerCool said:

You could also weigh it and see if it's silver. The US Mint continued to make silver quarters and half dollars after 1964, but for collectors not for circulation. You may have found one that found its way into circulation. 

Silver versions should weigh about 12.5 grams, and non-silver around 11.3 grams. 

I weighed it. 11.3 grams! I'm still keeping it for now. It has definitely been dipped in something though for it to shine and tarnish the way it did. 

1 hour ago, SmoggyPluto said:

I weighed it. 11.3 grams! I'm still keeping it for now. It has definitely been dipped in something though for it to shine and tarnish the way it did. 

Oh man, too bad it wasn't silver. I recently found a State quarter I thought was silver, but I weighed it and it wasn't. Oh well, that's part of the adventure. 

14 hours ago, RacerCool said:

Oh man, too bad it wasn't silver. I recently found a State quarter I thought was silver, but I weighed it and it wasn't. Oh well, that's part of the adventure. 

I hate that little tease of possible silver! I just recently started coin roll hunting. So far no luck but it really is a lot of fun to hunt. 

Archived