• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bullion from your own Country

Craig0ry

Laying in bed last night I started thinking about silver, like normal as of recently and it got me thinking.

I only have a small collection as of now, about 20oz or so,

three of them being Canadian Maples, Now being from Canada I find the Canadian Maples the least attractive out of most coins, 

Not sure if it’s because I’ve Seen maple leafs my entire life on different things, or being from my home Country they just don’t appeal to me as much, maybe Iam not as patriotic as most?

So my question is to you fellows in other countries, do you value coins from other countries more than coins from you home country? 

I’d much rather have a Brittania, eagle, libertad, or anything from the Perth mint over a maple, maybe it’s just me.

I'm from Canada too and I absolutely love the obverse side of Maple Leaf coin and later incused editions, but obverse with Queen Elizabeth seems to me rather boring. From that point of view American Eagle, Buffalo and Mexican Libertad look much more appealing to me.

4 hours ago, 999magnum said:

I like all government bullion, but the Armenia Noah's Arc is one of my favorites.

I like that one a bunch, too. ⛈️🌊🚤🌈

I certainly like many things that come out of the US Mint, but I also like a lot that comes from the Mexican mint. They, like products from the French, tend to have their own unique feel and style. Plus I come (in part) from Mexican and native American heritage, so that no doubt has influence. 🏜️

it apply to everybody when it comes to coins,

domestically produced will be hated by the locals

overseas produced are sought after, they are harder to get and cost more for comparisons 

looking on the other side of the coins, we can't even be bothered, just the same old lady

if you have had enough of the stuffs, then you will take in all other things except the old lady :P

40 minutes ago, Au79 said:

The silver is always more silvery on the other side 😂 The harder to get, the more I want 😝 it is always ugly here and more beautiful there 😄

Love this!!!!

Being in Mexico, I do love some of our coins. I am focusing my stack (itty-bitty tiny 6 ounces right now) on Libertads. I'm doing it because 1. They are the most recognized bullion here, 2. Easier to buy/sell here, and 3. I do think they are cool.

Plus, right now, I still don't fully understand Pandas, Kookaburras and European coins... But being so close to the US border, I might get me some Constitutional silver because it is easily recognized here as well, although I'm not sure how many people are familiar with US change containing silver.

Well Pandas, Kookaburras and other yearly design change bullion have the advantage of different/fresh designs keeping interest that little bit higher - give me a choice between 20 coins that look the same or 20 sharing a theme but looking different and I'd go with the latter.
Among "stable" design goverment bullion I feel that our Britannias just about hold their own in terms of derisability of the standard design - I'd generally go with those over equally priced silver Eagles, Maples (I do like the detailing on the leaf) or Krugerrands.
The Armenian Noah's Ark is up there in terms of 'artistic-ness' but Libertads would just edge it for me.

1 hour ago, verorl said:

Love this!!!!

Being in Mexico, I do love some of our coins. I am focusing my stack (itty-bitty tiny 6 ounces right now) on Libertads. I'm doing it because 1. They are the most recognized bullion here, 2. Easier to buy/sell here, and 3. I do think they are cool.

Plus, right now, I still don't fully understand Pandas, Kookaburras and European coins... But being so close to the US border, I might get me some Constitutional silver because it is easily recognized here as well, although I'm not sure how many people are familiar with US change containing silver.

If you want older silver what about pieces of eight?

On ‎20‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 15:24, Craig0ry said:

I’d much rather have a Brittania, eagle, libertad, or anything from the Perth mint over a maple, maybe it’s just me.

One thing with Maples is that you can get them with Privy Marks which makes them a bit more interesting than an ASE for example.

I do agree that the later portrait of the Queen on Maples is pretty dire

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

If you want older silver what about pieces of eight?

Pieces of eight? Please excuse my newbieness, but what is that?

I do like the maple leafs a lot, the leaf is so nicely done, and my grandma was a big fan of Queen Elizabeth, so I don't mind that... But yeah, not her best portrait.

You're not alone. I have no silver bullion from the US Mint.  Part of the appeal of collecting and stacking for me is that someone refined and minted this bar a long way from home. It makes it more exotic and in a weird way it makes me feel more accomplished that I can have luxuries from abroad. 

IIt's worth noting that the Perth Mint, Royal Mint and Royal Canadian Mint are vastly superior to the US Mint in every conceivable way. If the US Mint actually got serious and did some cool annual series(like Kooks/Koalas) involving the Bald Eagle and some other American creature with great designs or if they began making awesome 10 ounce bars then I'd be lining up to buy it.

I'm not opposed to buying American silver, I'd just rather reward the better run mints with my business. I just find Australian, British, Canadian and Korean silver to be far more interesting than American silver.

1 hour ago, verorl said:

Pieces of eight? Please excuse my newbieness, but what is that?

Sorry my fault for reverting to childhood watching films about pirates with a parrot on their shoulder squawking "Pieces of eight, pieces of eight".

I believe it refers to the 8 reales which was the large silver coin of Latin America especially Mexico during and shortly after Spanish rule (and consequently much plundered by pirates of the Caribbean).

The gold coins were called dubloons for the dos escudos.

I might be going against the herd here, but where I am (in the UK) I think we are going through a very good patch of bullion releases at the moment.  The standard Britannia design I think is very nice, the Oriental Borders even better, the Royal Arms is a stunner, the Queen's Beasts are always interesting and usually fantastic, and if you're also into silver the Valiants and Britannia Bars are tremendous.

So basically I'm mostly buying from my home country.  The exceptions to that general rule for me are the (silver) Krugerrand, Turtle and Somali Elephant, and the (gold) Buffalo.

It's great to have so much choice, there truly is something for everyone.

5 minutes ago, Stuntman said:

I might be going against the herd here, but where I am (in the UK) I think we are going through a very good patch of bullion releases at the moment.  The standard Britannia design I think is very nice, the Oriental Borders even better, the Royal Arms is a stunner, the Queen's Beasts are always interesting and usually fantastic, and if you're also into silver the Valiants and Britannia Bars are tremendous.

So basically I'm mostly buying from my home country.  The exceptions to that general rule for me are the (silver) Krugerrand, Turtle and Somali Elephant, and the (gold) Buffalo.

It's great to have so much choice, there truly is something for everyone.

I'm jealous. The Royal Mint has put together a fantastic product line. I wish the US Mint could tempt me the same way.

2 hours ago, AgCoyote said:

You're not alone. I have no silver bullion from the US Mint.  Part of the appeal of collecting and stacking for me is that someone refined and minted this bar a long way from home. It makes it more exotic and in a weird way it makes me feel more accomplished that I can have luxuries from abroad. 

IIt's worth noting that the Perth Mint, Royal Mint and Royal Canadian Mint are vastly superior to the US Mint in every conceivable way. If the US Mint actually got serious and did some cool annual series(like Kooks/Koalas) involving the Bald Eagle and some other American creature with great designs or if they began making awesome 10 ounce bars then I'd be lining up to buy it.

I'm not opposed to buying American silver, I'd just rather reward the better run mints with my business. I just find Australian, British, Canadian and Korean silver to be far more interesting than American silver.

I’m British and agree with you. Virtually every world gold and silver coin you can think of from the Panda, Kangaroo, Kookaburra, Koala, Libertad, etc., I collect. The only difference is that I love American coins. I think the American Buffalo gold bullion coin is absolutely fantastic. The American Gold Eagle is one of the few world gold coins around which looks great as a fractional 1/4oz coin. The 1/4oz gold Krugerrand  doesn’t excite me as much.

On 20/08/2019 at 07:37, Frost said:

I'm from Canada too and I absolutely love the obverse side of Maple Leaf coin and later incused editions, but obverse with Queen Elizabeth seems to me rather boring. From that point of view American Eagle, Buffalo and Mexican Libertad look much more appealing to me.

Yeah the Queen looks so odd on Canadian silver. She looks more like an elementary school librarian than a monarch. I definitely prefer the British and Australian versions of Lizzy.

16 hours ago, Seasider said:

Sorry my fault for reverting to childhood watching films about pirates with a parrot on their shoulder squawking "Pieces of eight, pieces of eight".

I believe it refers to the 8 reales which was the large silver coin of Latin America especially Mexico during and shortly after Spanish rule (and consequently much plundered by pirates of the Caribbean).

The gold coins were called dubloons for the dos escudos.

Thanks for explaining! The old coins sound really cool. There are some antique coins that are just so beautiful!!! Dubloons sound really cool too.

The Royal Mint Two Dragons coins are a nice design as well, I think.

I've only collected one Royal Mint Lunar series year, being my own Chinese sign.  But I've got it in four different denominations across two PMs 😀

Weinman hit it out of the park with the walking liberty, its a classic. Im a big fan of the Brittania's and Libertads as well. The first silver Kruggerand is at the top of my list as well... The RCM lost my interest when they stated that milk spots were ok because its "just a bullion coin". I know they started trying to fix the problem after that but it still urks me...

4 hours ago, verorl said:

I also think the Lunar series is cool too, I want some Year of the Dogs,

The UK Lunar series does not have many fans and the Year of the Dog version has been referred to as the Zombie Dog on here quite regularly.  As a Brit I can say that the Australian Lunar series (both I and II) are far better.

Archived