• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver Trade Coins Advice Please

Paddy

Hi all, 

Please be gentle this is my first post 🙄. 

I have some silver trade coins and wondered firstly if anyone knows much about them and if they are of any value other than the PM value. 

They look a bit grubby I'm assuming best to leave as they are? 

My dad collected lots of random things and these where in a amongst some other coins, so I don't really know much about them. 

Though it might be of interest to someone knowledgeable. 

Please see picture below. 

_20190819_214340.JPG

_20190819_214437.JPG

_20190819_214522.JPG

_20190819_214552.JPG

_20190819_214614.JPG

Trade dollars are great, I love 'em.

They are highly collected and many are worth good money. In fact all but the most worn will be worth a fair bit more than melt value.

The problem is they are highly faked.

I don't know when fakes first started appearing but if your dad had them a good while there's a fair chance they are genuine.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

19 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Thank you. So is it best to leave them in the condition that they are in? 

Don't touch them you will wreck the coins and their value.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

I thought that would be the case thank you. As I have quite a few I might list some for sale. Anyone have any ideas of what a reasonable sale price would be on TSF or should I just try an ebay auction? 

https://thesilverforum.com/topic/12893-detecting-fake-british-trade-dollar/?tab=comments#comment-160585

I am not sure if this will work as a link but you might like to have a look at this video on detecting fake trade dollars.  If not search for fake trade dollars and it should pop up.  It has the tests you have done already and one other.

When I first started collecting silver, I found a few of these in an antiques market in Bristol, Bought them and thought I'd got a bargain. However they turned out to be fake. I still have them in my bedside cabinet to remind me to test everything and believe nothing. I lost a good few quid on them, but I'll never sell them, as they are great at keeping me grounded. 

Yes unfortunately this is the world we live in now some copies are so good you need to be an expert to tell them apart. Not just coins but everything from watches to laundry powder and even medicines which is a bit scary. 

Made up a little sheet which I found quite interesting. Ping test is obviously not measurable so need to compare but the rest shows which metals come close in mimicking gold and silver in different ways. 

PM Test.jpg

I really like the trade dollars! I had one once, and would like to get another again, especially one with chop marks on it. 

Your collection could be worth a fair bit of cash, especially that one with the chop marks (the Asian characters stamped into the coin), and if you search for "sold" prices on eBay, you can get an idea what they tend to go for if they're in decent condition. 

These coins were intended primarily for circulation in the far East, and so banks and merchants would often stamp their mark into a coin when they tested it and deemed it legitimate. 

Archived