• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

It's been five days now since I sent away my smart phone for repair and they sent a cheap basic Nokia out as a replacement. I've been feeling more relaxed since I haven't had my usual phone and I don't actually miss it. No more checking emails on the go, no more immediate checking of Whattsapp messages and no more browsing websites for the sake of it.

A friend of mine in Croatia text me to see if I was ok as I never replied to any Whattsapp messages, he actually thought I was in hospital. Got my wife to reply to him.

Once my phone is back from repair I'm not sure if I want to bother with it as I've realised how much time it takes up in my day.

My wife has the latest iphone every year or two and offers me her old one, as usual I reject it, here's my list of pro's and many cons to them for me personally,

Con's

Have trouble operating them, its like I have sausage fingers and end up pressing several buttons at once.

The battery life is lousy, just seen an advert today that boasted a battery life of 11 hours, WTF , my Mobiwire (Nokia type phone) has a battery life of over a week and that's with making calls.

The stigma of all these smartphone zombies staggering around the streets, I have had dualtone horns fitted to my car to scare the terrible out of morons glued to their phones who just step out infront of me onto the road when I am driving without looking first.

One of my younger friends, go out for a drink and he does not make conversation, just sits there looking at facebook and similiar garbage, they are killing social interaction. though my local pub has banned their use inside which I am one of the many happy about this.

The size of them is huge

Pro's

When I am at a militaria and weapons show I usually get a mate to look up information for me if I am unsure whether something is correct or not or a fake etc

Edited by SILVERFINGER

1 hour ago, MickB said:

It's been five days now since I sent away my smart phone for repair and they sent a cheap basic Nokia out as a replacement. I've been feeling more relaxed since I haven't had my usual phone and I don't actually miss it. No more checking emails on the go, no more immediate checking of Whattsapp messages and no more browsing websites for the sake of it.

A friend of mine in Croatia text me to see if I was ok as I never replied to any Whattsapp messages, he actually thought I was in hospital. Got my wife to reply to him.

Once my phone is back from repair I'm not sure if I want to bother with it as I've realised how much time it takes up in my day.

Good for you! We should all aim to be less attached to our smart phones, I applaud anyone who doesn't have one and has a regular phone like a Nokia just to use for calling people, no more, no less.

I also think like this, especially when I go for a coffee and I see people sitting around a table, and no one is talking to each other, just on their phones. Literally makes me want to ask why they came out in the first place 🤣.

Don't get me wrong they are useful, but you can see why people develop a complex when it comes to social interaction and self confidence.

Edited by nee4891

I see a smartphone as a tool like any other tool.

it's down to the owner how they choose to use

the tool. the smartphone needs to fit into the

lifestyle of it's owner and not the other way round.

I have none of the social media apps. I contact

people when I'm ready to do so. if there's

something important, people can always phone

or text me. on standby battery life lasts easily

over a week.

you can own a smartphone, just don't let the

smartphone own you :)

HH

I remember a period whereby the smartphone was damaged and could not be used. Using the old school Nokia's was like a breath of fresh air. Totally get where your coming from MickB

I'm definitely not missing it as everything around me seems clearer as I'm concentrating more about my surroundings. Attention span is better as well. Funny how technology can drag you down without realising it.

With my eyesight slowly going downhill it's great to have better focus at everything around me instead of the viewing of a small screen showing me nothing of importance, that takes me a few minutes for my eyes to adjust when coming away from the phone.