• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Albert celebration sovereign!

goldmember44

37 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

LOL that would work, wouldn't it? 😛 But naahhh... I like these beauties too much to say goodbye to them ;)

u can always buy them back at 330 and 500 ……..😆, better price than pay day loan isn't 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a lot of money/markup, and a lot will be hype.. but compare it to say the 2017 strike on the day sov. ok, the design is much nicer on the 2017 but that had a mintage of 1817 or something, and those are still around 800+ aint they to buy?

10 minutes ago, terakris said:

It is a lot of money/markup, and a lot will be hype.. but compare it to say the 2017 strike on the day sov. ok, the design is much nicer on the 2017 but that had a mintage of 1817 or something, and those are still around 800+ aint they to buy?

u must have bought 10 of these 😁 

but I agree with 800 plus because ebay is selling the vic average just over  800 now 

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

do you not get yours allocated as a vip?😉

Kind of you to call me a vip but clearly my status lapsed and i was rejected like countless others. I will have to learn to deal with the pain )). On the bright side I saved £500

10 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Kind of you to call me a vip but clearly my status lapsed and i was rejected like countless others. I will have to learn to deal with the pain )). On the bright side I saved £500

sorry to hear it. i just remembered you saying you got the last issue as a vip, unless i imagined it.

there seemed to be quite a few vips on here last time

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

It's very quiet on here, is everyone counting their money/booking their free holiday etc? 🤣

1 hour ago, fehk2001 said:

but I agree with 800 plus because ebay is selling the vic average just over  800 now 

I think in the future V&A 'set' graded at 70 by PCGS will easily be £2500 (NGC overgraded them imho even though I know a 70 is 'no post-production flaws' - that issue really put that rule under strain).

20 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

do you not get yours allocated as a vip?😉

Anyone who was able would be silly not to get as many extra as they could via friends and family, or from different sources, to make sure they had at least one 'as close to perfect' as possible. I had seven or so I think Sapphire Coronations go through my hands because the capsules and coins came loose in the box and caused slight damage, one or two I was borderline on but I only kept two definitely pristine examples in the end, despite the fact it too was an instant sell out and that was without the Youtube promotion of that issue that this one has had and before the SotDs other than Pistrucci really caught on. Had I been more mercenary/sensible I should have kept the lot because they were all probably 69s anyway and you simply cannot find nor buy these coins for love nor money, and I think after the Pistrucci it's the 'key one'.

13 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

Sorry and surprised to hear that. I guess sometimes going with companies that actually have some sort of QA unlike the Mint has huge benefits but then you get 'punished' for it. Doesn't seem right to me, especially when the Mint offer so few coins at release on their own issue. They should value dedicated collector customers a lot more imo (and have some QA), that's my worry going forwards.

29 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It's very quiet on here, is everyone counting their money/booking their free holiday etc?

Count a couple of hundred pound or so only use a minute ..... 

And couple of hundred don't really last a weekend fever 😁 

4 hours ago, Numistacker said:

You didn't get one from the coin connection?

4 minutes ago, 1817SovereignCollector said:

I managed to get one to go with the Vic 200 I have, I did have lightening fingers though this morning. Literally if you snooze you lose!

Glad you got one, but I think the second part is very easy to say when you bagged one, and multiple true collectors on here had them removed from their basket before/during checkout within just a minute or two.

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Glad you got one, but I think the second part is very easy to say when you bagged one, and multiple true collectors on here had them removed from their basket before/during checkout within just a minute or two.

Interesting! I think I'd describe myself as a true collector of Sovereigns, as that's all I collect! and I also didn't have any reserved, just managed to purchase from the site, with the same opportunity as everyone else...

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

1 minute ago, 1817SovereignCollector said:

Interesting! I think I'd describe myself as a true collector of Sovereigns, as that's all I collect! and I also didn't have any reserved, just managed to purchase from the site, with the same opportunity as everyone else...

I think you were very lucky, really glad for you :)

9 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

You didn't get one from the coin connection?

Yes i did get one from the coin connection but i was going to buy one from the mint too. 

1 minute ago, Numistacker said:

Yes i did get one from the coin connection but i was going to buy one from the mint too. 

Ah, yes, I thought as much... only came to my mind after I made my post. :) I actually wanted to do the same... would have been great to get hold of two coins, but my funds didn't allow me this time. 

4 hours ago, kimchi said:

It's very quiet on here, is everyone counting their money/booking their free holiday etc? 🤣

I think in the future V&A 'set' graded at 70 by PCGS will easily be £2500 (NGC overgraded them imho even though I know a 70 is 'no post-production flaws' - that issue really put that rule under strain).

Anyone who was able would be silly not to get as many extra as they could via friends and family, or from different sources, to make sure they had at least one 'as close to perfect' as possible. I had seven or so I think Sapphire Coronations go through my hands because the capsules and coins came loose in the box and caused slight damage, one or two I was borderline on but I only kept two definitely pristine examples in the end, despite the fact it too was an instant sell out and that was without the Youtube promotion of that issue that this one has had and before the SotDs other than Pistrucci really caught on. Had I been more mercenary/sensible I should have kept the lot because they were all probably 69s anyway and you simply cannot find nor buy these coins for love nor money, and I think after the Pistrucci it's the 'key one'.

Sorry and surprised to hear that. I guess sometimes going with companies that actually have some sort of QA unlike the Mint has huge benefits but then you get 'punished' for it. Doesn't seem right to me, especially when the Mint offer so few coins at release on their own issue. They should value dedicated collector customers a lot more imo (and have some QA), that's my worry going forwards.

I think the Mint should leave a few more for general sale. The issue is that if there were more for sale we would be less interested. We have got used to micro mintages of many things. If this was a special gold BU coin from the US Mint 25,000 would be tiny mintage and 100,000 would be a success. We are very spoiled here by extreme low mintage releases from the RM.

4 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

I think the Mint should leave a few more for general sale.

Far more than your estimation (which I think is broadly correct) imvho.

5 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The issue is that if there were more for sale we would be less interested.

I completely disagree, the mintage is way below the interest, and think that the only reason the limit was so low was because 1) they couldn't issue more than the more significant Viccy, and 2) because they love these hyped feeding frenzies. Unfortunately they have diluted things overall imo by making this a pair, but it's very good news for anyone who has good examples of both.

12 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

We are very spoiled here by extreme low mintage releases from the RM.

You say spoiled (because you got coins) - I say shafted.

If estimates of how many were available for sale at 7am are true, I think the problem is that this number is far too few. They appear to allocate so many to dealers and too many to vips IMO; I believe it was possible with the Victoria issue for vips to get as many as 2 coins each. I can't say whether this was the case this time but the Albert coin did appear to sell out even quicker than the Vicky, although that may have been due to increased interest this time.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

If estimates of how many were available for sale at 7am are true, I think the problem is that this number is far too few. They appear to allocate so many to dealers and too many to vips IMO; I believe it was possible with the Victoria issue for vips to get as many as 2 coins each. I can't say whether this was the case this time but the Albert coin did appear to sell out even quicker than the Vicky, although that may have been due to increased interest this time.

I dont think many were able to get 2 from the mint but i know people who bought from mint plus dealer or used relatives to order other coins.

I did break down and picked up an extra one from @TheCoinConnection, however only after it had already gone up to £575. All after, a thus far, successful purchase from The Royal Mint. These two will accompany my two Celebration Vics...and I don’t have plans for them going anywhere any time soon...make me a collector?? Might be curious if The Royal Mint has any possible preferential allocations for a number of online orders from outside the UK, as I am fairly certain there were others from TSF ordering the same time I did and weren’t able to purchase one. I really don’t think I was that quick with a groggy head at 0200 in the morning.

On 22/08/2019 at 18:40, CadmiumGreen said:

Might be curious if The Royal Mint has any possible preferential allocations for a number of online orders from outside the UK,

Not so sure of that, I tired to pick one up and had it ripped out of my basket by 0703 GMT like most other people here appear to have experienced.

Still, thanks to @westminstrel for the coin connection link...saved me from complete disappointment while I was flailing around half asleep trying to find an alternate way to pick one up!

I’ve decided to sell mine as I’ve literally just been offered a chance to buy a William IV half sov that is missing from my date run. It is one that I have been looking for, for a long, long time. I feel torn about this but the timing is pretty good. 

Archived