• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Prince Albert celebration sovereign!

goldmember44

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

another one ?!

hard to keep up .. 

A 'bit much' imvho, especially after all the quality issues with the Viccy SotD (still graded at 70 by NGC) and then the 5 Sov piece.

However for those with very deep pockets it could well become a very desirable 'set' amongst modern Sov collectors in the future...

(Don't see it myself so not for me, quite likely wrong as usual 🤣.)

5 hours ago, Numistacker said:

The first 5 orders will include a lock of Alberts hair from an area of the body of your choice... Yes of course its cynical manipulation but hey its only money. My Victoria 200th would never be happy unless Albert was lying there by her side. Growing interest in SOTD and low mintage with specific design unlike the first years) mean this will sell out.

Perhaps there will be a John Brown onestruck for loyal servants?

2 hours ago, Numistacker said:

A video I made on the whole range of Celebration Sovs

In addition to the ones mentioned, there was a 2013 SOTD for the birth of Prince George (22nd July 2013) with a mintage of 2013.

The 2015 SOTD for the 2nd birthday of Prince George is quite distinctive.  I think it is the only BU sovereign that year to use the Jody Clark Queen's Head design - the Princess Charlotte SOTD and the regular bullion sovereigns for 2015 use the Ian Rank-Broadley design.  Therefore there are only 400 non-proof 2015 Jody Clark head sovereigns.

Regarding the 2017 Sapphire Accession and Platinum Wedding SOTD sovereigns, I thought the Sapphire Accession sovereigns had a normal reeded [milled] edge whereas the Platinum Wedding sovereign had a flatter, wider reeded edge (Coin News, July 2018, p.35), so it may be possible to differentiate between them.

1 hour ago, Zhorro said:

In addition to the ones mentioned, there was a 2013 SOTD for the birth of Prince George (22nd July 2013) with a mintage of 2013.

The 2015 SOTD for the 2nd birthday of Prince George is quite distinctive.  I think it is the only BU sovereign that year to use the Jody Clark Queen's Head design - the Princess Charlotte SOTD and the regular bullion sovereigns for 2015 use the Ian Rank-Broadley design.  Therefore there are only 400 non-proof 2015 Jody Clark head sovereigns.

Regarding the 2017 Sapphire Accession and Platinum Wedding SOTD sovereigns, I thought the Sapphire Accession sovereigns had a normal reeded [milled] edge whereas the Platinum Wedding sovereign had a flatter, wider reeded edge (Coin News, July 2018, p.35), so it may be possible to differentiate between them.

Brilliant information thank you very much

My first reaction was "oh ffs.."

If this was guaranteed the last sotd matt finish, plain edge with a privy id buy it but they can't just keep watering things down like this

The more they make, the less special they are

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

8 minutes ago, Kman said:

My first reaction was "oh ffs.."

If this was guaranteed the last sotd matt finish, plain edge with a privy id buy it but they can't just keep watering things down like this

The more they make, the less special they are

I'm hoping the matt finish is a uniquely 2019 phenomenon.

28 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

anyone on here buying ? 

-like for yes 

-sad face for no 

I reckon these would be an instant sell out even with just the flippers (just mvho).

As Numi shows, this is quite a collection now, and there are way more than 600 odd serious modern Sov collectors in the world who will want/need this.

A matte finish, V or A cipher has no interest for me as no relation to the current monarch, and the quality so far has been poor from what we've seen on here, whatever NGC say.

It's very clever but very naughty of the Mint what they have done with the Mattes this year. You buy the first two (especially the Viccy) and then you have to get the third, it doesn't match into any other sets (other than the entire unique SotD issues, which is a huge financial undertaking just at sale price) like the Sapphire Coronation (for example) does. It'd be nice to be a collector and not feel like the Mint are trying to pull your pants down every few months, and to be honest I'm surprised there hasn't been a bit of an outcry about this, and more reaction like @Kman's.

I've had it myself recently with the second pair of Paddingtons which sold out within a day - I have the first two, but I can't just lay out £1600 for that amount of gold with a few days' notice, so I missed out (OK I appreciate that perhaps some on here - and hundreds of folk elsewhere - can, and good luck to them). At least with that one though they let you order the second along with the first. There are going to be a lot of frenzied collectors who have the Viccy and now 'need' this. It's absolute pish taking from the Mint imvho and I am more and more inclined to stick with what I've got and buy very little else in the future.

I'm going to give this one a miss as there's no guarantee they aren't going to make more with the only difference each time being the privy

I may change my mind before release, but currently it's an annoyed no from me 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

5 minutes ago, Kman said:

I'm going to give this one a miss as there's no guarantee they aren't going to make more with the only difference each time being the privy

Canny flippers are going to be all over this one making easy money on the very quick sell, well before any more come out next year...not my style (probably why I can't afford all these coins 🤣), but horses for courses, I don't have a problem with them, and of course it's silly not to see the attraction of buy one get one (almost) free, but you have to have the readies. I now however have a growing problem with the Mint, and I've been a loyal customer who supported many releases in good faith and now feel tricked, and not just once.

They can stuff this year's Snowman/Snowdog, for example, where the sun don't shine. I'm sure it'll be pumped and dumped as usual. Long-term a winner but the initial feeding frenzy and all that jazz is not for me.

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Canny flippers are going to be all over this one making easy money on the very quick sell, well before any more come out next year...not my style (probably why I can't afford all these coins 🤣), but horses for courses, I don't have a problem with them, and of course it's silly not to see the attraction of buy one get one (almost) free, but you have to have the readies. I now however have a growing problem with the Mint, and I've been a loyal customer who supported many releases in good faith and now feel tricked, and not just once.

They can stuff this year's Snowman/Snowdog, for example, where the sun don't shine. I'm sure it'll be pumped and dumped as usual. Long-term a winner but the initial feeding frenzy and all that jazz is not for me.

Ok I get notification that you made a post about Prince Alberts and when I get here its a different kind to what I thought.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Albert_(genital_piercing)

Further to my video on the Celebration Sovereign (https://youtu.be/XuLccmpjkm4) it appears there IS a difference between the February and November coins after all. The spacing of the ribbing on the mulled edge is wider on the November coin and Narrow on the February coin.

5F12CA03-B80B-4539-AE8F-D510B36687E1.thumb.jpeg.6723262de015ef4d1f9dda28dd2a9ff8.jpeg

4BD03EE9-4635-4832-ADCC-924A3C627BB3.thumb.jpeg.fe792bee504b62fe8c7ef3e951b088d8.jpeg

0371451F-9D35-4E6E-8C85-E8DAC33A441E.thumb.jpeg.28425a133bfdd7738020ed29fbf2591b.jpeg

Archived