• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What place is the best place to buy gold with the least amount of premium

Jvw

I am looking into widening my precious metal addiction and am looking into gold stacking. I have some silver already, and I will keep that stack growing also. But I would like to start a small gold stack also.There are loads of collectable coins and beautiful bars. But what place/dealer/seller would you recommend to a starting gold stacker to buy his first gold?

Cheers,

J

Hi J,

A fellow silver forum member has put this website together this week. It is awesome for finding the lowest premium coins:

https://ukgoldcompare.herokuapp.com/

Enjoy!!! 

MS

Added 0 minutes later...

Sovereigns are quite low premium and not too big so easy to buy and sell at current gold prices. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

3 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

Hi J,

A fellow silver forum member has put this website together this week. It is awesome for finding the lowest premium coins:

Enjoy!!! 

MS

Added 0 minutes later...

Sovereigns are quite low premium and not too big so easy to buy and sell at current gold prices. 

Who did that if you don't mind sharing?

Just now, Notafront4adragon said:

It's a thread

There's another thread.

Good resource for sure 

Good resource 4 sure. 

Is it urs ?

Props if so.

Do u have the link to the thread ?

1 hour ago, Jvw said:

I am looking into widening my precious metal addiction and am looking into gold stacking. I have some silver already, and I will keep that stack growing also. But I would like to start a small gold stack also.There are loads of collectable coins and beautiful bars. But what place/dealer/seller would you recommend to a starting gold stacker to buy his first gold?

Cheers,

J

Plenty of long-standing members of the forum you can buy a gold coin from too. Those with lots of feedback obviously easier to trust 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

1 hour ago, Jvw said:

Cheers,

J

One other thing to consider depending on budget are smaller coins such as half sovereigns and 1/10oz Britannias. I think sovereigns offer the best value in term of gold price. 

As others have said this forum is a great place to buy. eBay is tempting but be very wary and only buy if you're 100% sure and know how to test the coins also always use PayPal as you get some protection if it goes wrong.

If you're after numismatic type coins then you really have to do your research as to the value of them. Again I've found this forum to be the best value place to buy those.

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

Hi J,

Enjoy!!! 

MS

Added 0 minutes later...

That is an excellent website, I will definitely keep an eye on that.

I live in The Netherlands and usually shipping costs kinda kill the good deal though but I think I will try and find some nice sovereigns to start my stack with.

I don't know what the situation is like in Holland but in Germany there are plenty of gold/silver shops. ft the situation is similar in Holland and given the population density of Holland you probably have 2 dozens of proper gold and silver shops within half an hour of driving. If you live close to the German border, I would also consider PM shops on the other side of the border

Here there are two price comparison sites, for Germany:

https://www.gold.de/kaufen/goldmuenzen/britannia/

https://www.gold-preisvergleich.de/gold/goldmuenzen/wiener-philharmoniker/

If your budget is small, Sovereigns, Vrenelis, Austrian Florins/Ducats/Coronas along with other similar coins from very roughly 1850 to 1950 are nice options.

This site, although not the cheapest, has a nice overview by country:

https://www.heubach-edelmetalle.de/catalog/goldmunzen

Another alternative are modern bullion coins in various sizes, the Maple Leaf, the American Eagle, the Austrian Philharmonic, the Britannia, the Krugerrand, the Australian Kangaroo

Personally, I wouldn't go for numismatic coins at the start (and possibly never), thus you also need to be aware some of the coins mentioned above (e.g. the Sovereign) have bullion and numistmatic versions but you will see that at the price per gram.

Hi, if you were here in the states I could and would help you by showing you places I buy gold at melt. I only buy NGC or PCGS graded gold coins and pay melt and that includes the shipping. But it a whole different ball game oversea where you are. Last week I bought a quarter ounce gold panda 1987 in ngc ms69 for $356 and that included the shipping.

2 hours ago, blindguy said:

Hi, if you were here in the states I could and would help you by showing you places I buy gold at melt. I only buy NGC or PCGS graded gold coins and pay melt and that includes the shipping. But it a whole different ball game oversea where you are. Last week I bought a quarter ounce gold panda 1987 in ngc ms69 for $356 and that included the shipping.

I'm in the states.  What's your secret?

@blindguy has already mentioned how he does it, it's called "going to auctions"

I watched an auction online yesterday whilst waiting for the lot I wanted to come up , and I saw several gold sovereigns, (I included the buyers premium in the final price), go for less than spot. And I was only  watching for about 15 mins

However the trick is to actually be at the auctions in person, Internet bidding can add around 5% premium, and most auction houses charge astronomical shipping fees.

I'm certainly going to look into my local auction houses more often in future.  

Edit just had a scan of some of the realised prices on this auction and spotted 1.4kg of 0.500 silver coins went for 10% under spot., and a 1980 gold proof sov set (£5, £2, sov and half) went for 8.5% under spot. 

8 hours ago, Tn21 said:

@FFkook is from Holland I believe, but he may be having a blast in the UK ATM.

Not yet, still in the lower lands ;)

To answer the question, gold in the Netherlands with low premiums can best be bought by combining purchases with other members. I usually buy my silver and gold through a couple of members here, and sometimes through websites like Heubach-edelmetalle.de. I could help you out if you wish

It is not a secret as much as where and how you bid on auctions and dealers you buy from. Give me a call and I will try to help. My friend Mike K. and I have used this to buy gold and platium for 3 or 4 years now on auctions to buy gold at or very close to melt. My number is 605-381-4625  Jim

• Founder & Administrator

@blindguy would you like me to remove your number above from your posts? Members could still PM you to get your number, but may be best not to have it publicly available? Just thinking of your security and privacy.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 1 month later...
On 21/08/2019 at 22:59, ChrisSIlver said:

@blindguy would you like me to remove your number above from your posts? Members could still PM you to get your number, but may be best not to have it publicly available? Just thinking of your security and privacy.

I would not wait for his reply and change his number to "DM me for number".

Archived