• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Safes and PM storage

tallyhojim

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a (presently) single gentleman whose housekeeping skills have not progressed at all since his first year at university (not even sure we even had a hoover, still trying to work out if we have one now!) I think the very best defence is a messy home. After all, if I can't find a certain coin (or any of them at all) given a few hours, what chance have any burglars got in a few minutes? Plus, they can torture me all like, but the most they will ever get out of me is 'well, there might be something under that pile over there if you look really carefully, but I'd advise a facemask'. They'd be doing me a favour sorting some of the rubble out tbh :)

6 mm of steel is a lot, definitely counts as heavy.

I would use deception techniques, and stashes like fake pipes, as outlined by famed YouTube stacker CyberCurtainTwitcher.

Silver is bulky and isn't worth much. Therefore it's not a good use for safes. Safes are better for real valuables like gold, things that are more value-dense and compact. It would take an enormous safe to hold a large silver stack. That would destroy your margins.

If you want to actually make money on silver and hold large amounts long term a good off-site allocated place is best, like BullionVault. That's 0.48% a year in fees. If your safe costs more than that over a reasonable time frame then it's a waste, and probably less secure than BV's vaults. What's the point of having a bunch of silver at home? It's just inviting theft or costing a fortune to put in a safe. It's not doing anything for you just sitting there.

10 hours ago, tallyhojim said:

Hmm, I quite like the look of that one. Not that much more expensive than 2nd hand ebay chubb safes either. And the doors/walls look plenty thick. Also heavy enough to make someone think twice but light enough to man handle into location and bolt down/concrete in/hide etc. Even the Large capacity version is still reasonably priced.

And the acid test, are walls/door solid or inner and outer sheet with cavity filling?

Where it says cash £4,000 / valuables £40,000, is PM's classed as cash or valuables?

Added 0 minutes later...

What if family ARE the burglars?

I bought a Chubb a few years back but they don't make the model now.  I went for a key lock, with the keys kept off the premises as I didn't want a crappy electronic lock which has a hidden key back up anyway and didn't want to pay the extra fee they charged for the combination addon since it wasn't a great lock.

It was advertised as having some method of anti drilling that triggered the safe to lock permanently but this didn't turn out to be true iirc.  I would have gone for a bigger heavier model but once you get into hundreds of kgs getting it delivered and installed isn't cheap unless you have very easy access to your installation point.  You don't want to be lugging a few hundred kgs up or down stairs or through tight doors either.

Insurance companies will also require professional installation before they will think about covering you as well.

It was much better built than a securikey we got for my daughter to keep her jewelry in but then it was only a couple of hundred quid.  I seem to remember the securikey had rough edges, a large enough gap around the door to get a small pry bar in and a missing part when it came as well.

Bust a large square shaped hole into your basement floor, place your stack in some kind of heavy duty plastic case, lower it into the hole, then cut a large sheet of plywood to fit perfectly over the case and along the edges of your hole, and then pour sufficient concrete until level with your basement floor.  Let it dry and then place a large rug over that area (and maybe some other random basement junk) and sleep like a baby.

14 hours ago, adamthetaller said:

My previous house, like most terrace's in Yorkshire, had what would have been a great hidy-hole for PMs if I'd been stacking at the time: A small, dank cellar accessible only from a trapdoor in the kitchen, on which my fridge, freezer and vast quantity of junk resided - took me 30 minutes to get the damn thing open anytime a meter reading was required!

As others have highlighted, your typical burglar is looking for a quick in/out and grab the obvious valuables. Electronics, musical instruments, collectables on display will be enough for any regular chancer. A well hidden safe (not in the typical under the bed/in wardrobe locations) will serve for easy access and frequent additions/sales, under the floorboards/buried in the garden are options for very long-term storage - don't want to be taking up the floor/digging the lawn every week!

I recall some houses in Yorkshire also had a big problem in that being terraced the builders cheaped out and made the attics all connected because their separation was a small not very sturdy wall between, I know because some local thug was evading the plod and rans though four or five attics to escape them, he'd made his route ready for that occasion some months p[revious, toe rag should have used some of that mental capacity to get a job which didn't require nicking other peoples things.

1) Take some plasticine and squish your expensive gold items into it, now stick it anywhere you feel like, if found its just a ball of clay to the casual observer.

2) If you have loose diamonds then do the same thing but squeeze the plasticine mush into a door knob, they are usually hollow, sorted, who is going to nick a door knob?.

3) How about inside that cheap assed boom box at the back of the cupboard floor.

4) What about in the toe space of some particularly nasty wellies, farmers have done that one for years.

5) What about those pull apart tables where the leaf is under the pull apart to be put in to make the table larger, simply pull it apart and put the stuff on top of the leaf, you cant see it underneath and who is going to pull a table apart and not just fling it over?.

6) Behind a socket, be it electrical or tv cable, etc, there's plenty of space for a few gold coins.

7) Inside your vacuum cleaner bag, or better yet, inside the straight tube that is part of your vacuum cleaner, nobody is going to want to turn that on to check while robbing your house.

😎 Under your cat little, inside a bag of course.

9) In the soap dispenser if you have a built in as part of your kitchen.

10) Inside a cheap hollow door, put it in before you hang it so there are no signs after painting that it was ever touched.

Those are off the top of my head for cheap and easy places to stash for long term or while your away places.

2 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

Bust a large square shaped hole into your basement floor, place your stack in some kind of heavy duty plastic case, lower it into the hole, then cut a large sheet of plywood to fit perfectly over the case and along the edges of your hole, and then pour sufficient concrete until level with your basement floor.  Let it dry and then place a large rug over that area (and maybe some other random basement junk) and sleep like a baby.

You forgot the guns and stuff beside it, or the skeleton to protect it...lol.

14 hours ago, MetalMandible said:

You've been watching too much John Wick.

12 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

1) Take some plasticine and squish your expensive gold items into it, now stick it anywhere you feel like, if found its just a ball of clay to the casual observer.

2) If you have loose diamonds then do the same thing but squeeze the plasticine mush into a door knob, they are usually hollow, sorted, who is going to nick a door knob?.

3) How about inside that cheap assed boom box at the back of the cupboard floor.

4) What about in the toe space of some particularly nasty wellies, farmers have done that one for years.

5) What about those pull apart tables where the leaf is under the pull apart to be put in to make the table larger, simply pull it apart and put the stuff on top of the leaf, you cant see it underneath and who is going to pull a table apart and not just fling it over?.

6) Behind a socket, be it electrical or tv cable, etc, there's plenty of space for a few gold coins.

7) Inside your vacuum cleaner bag, or better yet, inside the straight tube that is part of your vacuum cleaner, nobody is going to want to turn that on to check while robbing your house.

😎 Under your cat little, inside a bag of course.

9) In the soap dispenser if you have a built in as part of your kitchen.

10) Inside a cheap hollow door, put it in before you hang it so there are no signs after painting that it was ever touched.

Those are off the top of my head for cheap and easy places to stash for long term or while your away places.

Behind an electric fire place. Those one's that just bolt up against where the fire place used to be.

Or even suspended in between double radiators or inside hollowed out skirting boards.

Hmm, my mind is beginning to think tactically know.

6 minutes ago, tallyhojim said:

Behind a socket, be it electrical or tv cable, etc, there's plenty of space for a few gold coins.

I would dissuade this one for anyone NOT ELECTRICALLY FULLY AWARE - - -

Gold is one of the BEST CONDUCTORS of  "JUICE" 🤯

8 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Gold is one of the BEST CONDUCTORS of  "JUICE" 🤯

Actually gold is the forth most conducive metal:

1/ Silver

2/ Copper

3/ Annealed copper

4/ Gold

5/ Aluminium

6 minutes ago, TonyS said:

Actually gold is the forth most conducive metal:

1/ Silver

2/ Copper

3/ Annealed copper

4/ Gold

5/ Aluminium

still ERF in dangerous  -

irrelevant of my minute inaccuracy (relatively)!  DOH!  beggin yer pudding! 

13 hours ago, DarkChameleon said:

I recall some houses in Yorkshire also had a big problem in that being terraced the builders cheaped out and made the attics all connected because their separation was a small not very sturdy wall between, I know because some local thug was evading the plod and rans though four or five attics to escape them, he'd made his route ready for that occasion some months p[revious, toe rag should have used some of that mental capacity to get a job which didn't require nicking other peoples things.

The advent of loft conversions has probably put paid to that escape route these days - house hunting a few years ago and there wasn't a single unconverted terrace to be found (not that I was looking for one).

Use some of these, I could probably supply some free once a year, though the finish may differ from advertised.

The "Brief Safe" is an innovative diversion safe that can secure your cash, documents, and other small valuables from inquisitive eyes and thieving hands, both at home and when you're traveling. Items can be hidden right under their noses with these specially-designed briefs which contain a fly-accessed secret compartment with Velcro closure and "special markings" on the lower rear portion. Leave the "Brief Safe" in plain view in your laundry basket or washing machine at home, or in your suitcase in a hotel room - even the most hardened burgler or most curious snoop will "skid" to a screeching halt as soon as they see them. (Wouldn't you?) The most challenging part is keeping the wife or girlfriend from washing them. At least now you have a legitimate excuse if you do happen to have a screeching skid mark accident in the future. Each Brief Safe is handmade from brand new Gildan cotton underwear. Made in USA. One size. Color: white (and brown).

skidsafe.thumb.jpg.9c227f04f4ce093203aafa8dd3d8fd7d.jpg

On 14/08/2019 at 05:23, tallyhojim said:

Starting to contemplate means of safeguarding my slowly expanding bits of shiney shiney, and am now in the market for a good quality safe. Ideally none of that digital cheap Chinese bad that is sold in abundance on fleabay with nothing more than 6mm of sheet steel as a door.

Nothing fancy, just needs to be damn heavy, ability to be thoroughly bolted into the Earths crust, made of thick heavy gauge steel with big heavy locking lug bolts. Granted no safe on it's own will ever be truly impervious as the best security systems should be a combination of several other independent layers (house alarm/smart phone connected CCTV/dogs/swinging ceiling axes/Vietcong anti-personnel traps etc). Most of all - TELLING NO ONE WHAT YOU'VE GOT! Loose talk costs lives.

I've found that actual proper refurbed safes of the big-heavy-steel-gauge-made-in-Britain variety are reasonably cheap at a few hundred pounds on fleabay. Even those that are a bit tatty and need a fresh face lift still look reasonable. I have already decided that I will NOT be buying a sentry safe, as I've seen a few youtube videos where locksmiths have demonstrated how unsecure they are when a big ass magnet is rubbed around one of the corners to unlock the bolt's solenoid switch.

Old style inch thick steel plated safes with dialed combo locks or keys seems to be the safest bet in wanting to keep out the average tea leaf.

Not just dogs, really game pitbulls with some bite training! Ive got 10 and I can tell you right now it would take a swat team to come onto this property. People are deterred by a gun and a safe but that's about it. Most people won't really shoot someone though and thieves know that. Pitbulls however, will not hesitate to F you up. People have the deepest fear of them and for good reason. As for a safe, if you have property and tools you could build your own. Thick steel plating wielded with multiple layers of locks. Poured concrete etc. If they do break in they will probably be thirsty. You could always leave them bottles of water with arsenic as the final measure. Maybe they will drink it and die. This world is getting beyond savage. Im kind of a prepper survivalist if you can't tell 🤣

1 hour ago, Samarium said:

Dude, you've gone full caps!, NEVER go full caps!

Full caps is often a sign of mental illness - never go full caps.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Archived