• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Spotting fake yale queens beasts

Tom4496

Hi

I'm new to the silver world and have bought around 50 ounces so far mostly from the EU mint. I have just bought some 2 oz yale queens beast coins from Amazon as they were a good price. Now I have started wondering as most probably do if all my silver is real. I have bought some digital calipers, some scales and a magnet to carry out the basic tests. The magnet has not arrived yet however the scales and calipers have.

Testing the weight the coins seem fine and testing the diameter there spot on however with the thickness they are only 5.56 mm but the official thickness is 6mm.

So after the long winded opening my question is are the thickness a sign they may be fake? Also they dont seem to ping test very well but I dont know if that's due to them being thicker than my other 1 oz coins.

Thanks Tom

fakes are usually thicker or bigger as they use

less dense cheaper metals to try to trick you(in

order to turn a profit).

you should check the coin face versus a known

good copy/picture. I'd be tempted to be less

concerned about it being a fake if it's just the rim

being lower. (a non coin/metals seller would not

be my first choice to buy from)

HH

Edited by HawkHybrid

39 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

fakes are usually thicker or bigger as they use

less dense cheaper metals to try to trick you(in

order to turn a profit).

you should check the coin face versus a known

good copy/picture. I'd be tempted to be less

concerned about it being a fake if it's just the rim

being lower. (a non coin/metals seller would not

be my first choice to buy from)

HH

Thanks HH 

I will compare with one my brother has bought from EU mint tomorrow and I will stick to main dealers from now on!!

I don't think there are any Queens Beasts fakes out there yet the series is to new at the moment. The fakers are to busy striking sovereigns and krugerrands

The thickness of a coin is more difficult to measure the rim will be thinner than the center areas .

Can you put some pictures up 🧐

Yep hard to read the thickness unless you know where the mint take it from. I had some concerns about some Perth Mint silver coins on weight and talked to them and they said some do vary (despite the specs listed being seemingly very exact). Not good enough really imvho.

I think you should be OK with that range of coins but for piece of mind try a specific gravity check (distilled water and everything sterilised).

Also check who you bought off on Amazon, I sell  the Beasts on Amazon with 100% feedback from the UK. Id be a little concerned if from China

So just do your research :)

Not seen a fake Beast yet but doesn't mean there isnt any. 

Silverstacking.co.uk 

2 hours ago, kimchi said:

Yep hard to read the thickness unless you know where the mint take it from. I had some concerns about some Perth Mint silver coins on weight and talked to them and they said some do vary (despite the specs listed being seemingly very exact). Not good enough really imvho.

I think you should be OK with that range of coins but for piece of mind try a specific gravity check (distilled water and everything sterilised).

You see? I only joined today and I have already learnt something new - specific gravity check. Thanks. 

Hi all

Thank you for your responses. Kimchi I'm going to have a go with the specific gravity test as it seems simple enough👀👀. Silver stan the coins were not from you and not from China and I suspect all of the sellers on Amazon from the UK are legitimate and so are the coins! Mainly a case of newbie nerves but a good thing in many respects as it makes you learn more!!

Thanks again 

Tom

20190812_165557.jpg

@Tom4496 good to be cautious! The other thing with Queen's Beasts is that some do vary wildly in thickness (even on the rim on the same coin! :wacko:). Specific gravity test is pretty easy, best to callibrate your scales first. Our very own @BackyardBullion among others has an excellent video on Youtube on how to do it which I'm sure he is tired of posting a link to so please search for it and post the link before he gets the hump with me for tagging him in this post 🤣 :ph34r:

@LaurenceB hope that helps you too. Let us know how you get on! :)

@LaurenceB @kimchi

I am never tired of finding this link to help people avoid fake coins!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

5 hours ago, kimchi said:

@Tom4496 good to be cautious! The other thing with Queen's Beasts is that some do vary wildly in thickness (even on the rim on the same coin! :wacko:). Specific gravity test is pretty easy, best to callibrate your scales first. Our very own @BackyardBullion among others has an excellent video on Youtube on how to do it which I'm sure he is tired of posting a link to so please search for it and post the link before he gets the hump with me for tagging him in this post 🤣 :ph34r:

@LaurenceB hope that helps you too. Let us know how you get on! :)

Many thanks. 

• 2 years later...
On 11/08/2019 at 16:52, Midasfrog said:

I don't think there are any Queens Beasts fakes out there yet the series is to new at the moment. The fakers are to busy striking sovereigns and krugerrands

The thickness of a coin is more difficult to measure the rim will be thinner than the center areas .

Can you put some pictures up 🧐

Did you miss this?

Chards