• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver florins

Good afternoon everyone 

just had had a chat with a local coin shop he told me he just had some florin in they are 50% silver I believe . What is the going rate for these before I head over there after a quick google search I believe each coin contains 5.5 grams of silver 

any advice would be great 

Steve 

Florins from 1920 to 1946 are 50% silver.  If you watch ebay carefully you might get around spot for a few, but people seem to collect them and push the prices up a fair bit. Though owing to the stronger alloy they dont wear so much and good ones are not too much. 

Pre-1920 they are .925 silver and lucky to get for +20% over spot unless heavily worn.  I rather like the Edward VII design but so do many others and they get expensive quickly. 

The price of the coin will more often than not be linked to how scarce it is, rather than the PM content.

Here is a good guide/idea - will help when you start looking at the coins!

http://www.coins-of-the-uk.co.uk/values/florn.html

A.

Added 0 minutes later...

@Martlet gave a far better answer!! Happy coin hunting!!

It depends on the date of the coin and the condition. For example, if you see a 1938 George VI in really good condition you should expect to pay a lot more than spot! Check the web-pages I linked to before which gives the following guide for a '38 Florin:

Fine: 6

Very Fine: 8

Exceptionally Fine: 15

Uncirculated: 30

If he is happy to sell you some 50% Florins for 2.50 then please do let me have his address. I do not collect them, but I may start!

Please do note that the price guide is from the website mentioned, and this is not my advice. I have no clue about the price of Florins. Just trying to help.

Oh! and with that in mind - have a quick look at Ebay - not the 'for sale', but the 'sold' section - for instance:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=1938 Florin&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

Andrew.

Archived