• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Website for comparing UK prices for gold sovereigns, britannias, etc

• Founder & Administrator

@LawrenceChard I think you might be writing some of your posts inside the quoted text of another member, when you quote text from another member please can you write on the outside of the quote in order to avoid confusing what you are writing with what you are quoting. You can edit your posts as needed

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

12 hours ago, ChrisSilver said:

@LawrenceChard I think you might be writing some of your posts inside the quoted text of another member, when you quote text from another member please can you write on the outside of the quote in order to avoid confusing what you are writing with what you are quoting. You can edit your posts as needed

I'm sure you are right. It's happened twice, when there is more than one comment, and "quote" returns both.

I guess the answer is to answer one, then do another response for the other.

I think I have done more forum posts in the last week than in a normal year.

Chards

17 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

How do you know?

I would know too 😎 but from seeing your "How To Identify A Fake Sovereign" video on youtube

Nice to have you here Lawrence

I told Lizzie a while ago on here, that being in the domain industry myself I was impressed at your early adoption and foresight registering some very nice names back in the 90s

Edited by Kman

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

15 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

is there a reason your font size kept reducing? It is as challenging to my eyes as trying to grade a half sovereign   😉

I must have copied and pasted something, in fact I probably ran it through to for a spell check, although my spelling is excellent, my typing is flaky.

I should learn to check for paste options, because I often find the formatting of a deocument changes on me mid-way, and it drives me bonkers trying to fight my way out of it.

I sometimes copy things into a plain text editor, before pastng back, but even that fails sometimes.

I blame smart computers or programmes being dumb, but maybe it's a dumb operator trying to be smart.

You should try using a 4K or 5K monitor with some programmes like Adobe Photoshop, fonts on controls are minuscule, and some of them don't zoom.

Chards

2 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I'm sure you are right. It's happened twice, when there is more than one comment, and "quote" returns both.

I guess the answer is to answer one, then do another response for the other.

I think I have done more forum posts in the last week than in a normal year.

You can quote multiple posts from different members in different posts and they will show with different quote boxes. To do this you can press the + button. You can then delete any parts of their quoted text that you don't wish to quote, for example if you do not want to quote all of their message. You can then write underneath the quote boxes.

This help topic here refers to photo only topics but the same applies across the forum: https://thesilverforum.com/topic/19476-quick-guide-how-to-quote-from-photo-only-to-discussion-topic/

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I sometimes copy things into a plain text editor, before pastng back, but even that fails sometimes.

When you copy and paste text from an external source, it shows in the same formatting, but when you paste it a black bar at the bottom will appear, if you then press the "Paste as plain text instead" button in this bar, the pasted text will then show in the standard forum font size and font :)

Discounts / Offers

On 12/03/2020 at 13:11, Kman said:

I would know too 😎 but from seeing your "How To Identify A Fake Sovereign" video on youtube

Nice to have you here Lawrence

I told Lizzie a while ago on here, that being in the domain industry myself I was impressed at your early adoption and foresight registering some very nice names back in the 90s

Thanks, but actually I was driving myself crazy for two or three years before, because we did not have  a web presence. I still think we got into it late.

Edited by LawrenceChard
typo

Chards

19 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks,

I just posted your last comment to our Marketing Team.
There was a need to unify our 3/4 main websites for a number of reasons, such as security, shopping basket, e-commerce, customer experience, mobile friendliness, loading speeds, and a whole raft of other stuff.

My strong opinion was to leave all the old sites intact until the new one made them redundant, but not everyone shares my view.

Indeed quite often, I want to check some facts, and look for our existing resource on TFG, GS, or 24carat, and when I find it, I get forwarded to a page on chards.co.uk, which does not include the original information. We may start removing these redirects, and going back to letting viewers transfer themselves to our new site if they wish.

Our old websites were never intended to be mobile friendly, whereas our new one is. Upgrading them to modern user and Google dictated standards is a very expensive and lengthy process, so it is unlikely to happen, but we did recently analyse them for security threats, and they needed little or no action.

The rather clunky search facilities on them have now broken, because of technical stuff like version compatibility, and Google have been downgrading old sites, in favour of mobile friendliness, loading speeds, newer HTML standards, and more.

We have a steady process of replicating much of the older sites' content onto chards as time permits, so all is not lost.

I was thinking only earlier today, that many people have told me they use our sites as a reference source when they want to check something. These include American and European dealers, Royal Mint employees, recently a couple of people from Kitco, etc.

A few days ago, I noticed a missing image, and a typo on one of our legacy sites, and we still correct these when we find them, but we rarely add brand new material, which tends to go straight onto chards.co.uk.

The aim is to get chards.co.uk up to the point where it is better in all respects than the old sites, but there is still a lot of work needed to get there.

At least our new site is easier for adding new products, and has a much better search facility than our legacy sites, although we are aware we need to make it easier to find information rather than just sales pages.

Just had a look at your taxfreegold site was checking the gold price in uk £ and it said gold price live £1195.97 ? what is happening there 

32 minutes ago, Midasfrog said:

Just had a look at your taxfreegold site was checking the gold price in uk £ and it said gold price live £1195.97 ? what is happening there 

The feed is broken.

This did used to happen, and I think the feed on chards.co.uk works much more reliably.

I will forward this to my techie colleagues, and expect we will either splash a big warning on the page, or do an auto refresh to our newer site.

Thanks for pointing this out.

We do appreciate all the feedback we get, (some more than others).

Chards

4 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

Thanks, but actually I was drivine myself crazy for two or three years before, because we did not have  a web presence. I still think we got into it late.

I was only a lad back then but I imagine everything was 100xs harder to do than now

Including registering domains, that was done by paperwork wasn't it? what a kerfuffle 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Yes, everything was harder then.

Even after we went live with our first site, the only real option was dial up internet access, obviously at slow speeds.

I don't remember when Freeserve arrived, but it was still dial up.

We were lucky that Telewest installed past our Lytham Road premises quite early.

When we moved to Harrowside, around the corner, in 2013, Virgin Media (they took over Telewest) had not cabled past us, so we cancelled our Virgin account, a long, painful, atrociously serviced process, and used BT highspeed copped instead. Only then did Virgin cable Harrowside, so we now use them again.

We have lots of tech problems, mainly because of their terrible quality modems, whcih probably save them about $5 each, combined with their even crappier tech service.

We do have at least one smart router, but is have to pass through their modem, we cannot use our own.

We should have BT copper backup to a smart router, although we do have an emergency 3G or 4G backup.

Chards

• 1 year later...
On 14/11/2019 at 23:30, Darr3nG said:

Been playing around with a bit of scripting and have the following output working locally:

prices.jpg.b4ab2a104328e1f6cbbcee7a16217181.jpg

Next step is to figure out how to run on a webserver and update a webpage... (all for free!)

Watch this space :)

http://goldprice.eu5.net/ is now showing "Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource." has this been restricted to members only?

16 minutes ago, Minimalist said:

http://goldprice.eu5.net/ is now showing "Forbidden You don't have permission to access this resource." has this been restricted to members only?

I am verboten also🙄

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Minimalist said:

I thought that site was discontinued. The new site is on the "compare" link at the top of the forum homepage.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon