• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

When do you stop?

blindguy

I was wondering what is some of your stopping points for buying silver and gold? I have been buying 50-200 ounces of silver a month for the last 5 years or so and gold also (not as much) so when do you stop? My wife believes we should keep buying silver at these prices ($17 an ounce) but slow down buying gold at $1500.  I am a firm believer that you can never have enough of a good thing. So what do you think?  Jim              

My motto Jim - buy today, sell tomorrow. I’m enjoying selling today what I bought several years ago. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

8 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

My motto Jim - buy today, sell tomorrow. I’m enjoying selling today what I bought several years ago. 

Totally agree - However wait some more and the "Fiat" price will be greater  - but the value stored will have remained level against the devaluing "crud"

12 minutes ago, blindguy said:

I was wondering what is some of your stopping points for buying silver and gold? I have been buying 50-200 ounces of silver a month for the last 5 years or so and gold also (not as much) so when do you stop? My wife believes we should keep buying silver at these prices ($17 an ounce) but slow down buying gold at $1500.  I am a firm believer that you can never have enough of a good thing. So what do you think?  Jim              

I continue buying what I can afford. My children will get most of it so, not too bothered.

Not buying now, I see the price going higher imvho, just haven't got the readies, and I have 'enough' of my portfolio in PMs, can't extend any more.

Plus I am getting older and you start to forget where in various gardens and woodland the stashes are buried, then you remember you made maps, but then you can't find them and you panic that you shredded them by accident with all the empty threats from the BBC license 'enforcers' 🤣

How longs a piece of string, depends on numerous factors. But if you enjoy what you're doing, can afford to keep buying and your wife is even encouraging you to carry on my suggestion is don't stop!

You must have quite a stash so well done :). I don't plan on stopping anytime soon but I only buy 2-3oz when I can afford it. Again, circumstances for everyone are different!

1 hour ago, Xander said:

I continue buying what I can afford. My children will get most of it so, not too bothered.

Like you I collect for my son. Buying is on hold for the moment, selling is out of the question.

Should silver prices continue to climb I’ll have to rethink my strategy.

I never had a set target but my goal was to buy as much as I could reasonably and confidently store while it seemed like a good bargain. I haven't got anywhere near that point yet but I am taking a break from buying. With price rises and the ever decreasing value of the £ the value propsotion just isn't what it was last year. I also have to remind myself that I am too new to this to be doing speculating when things seem shaky. I'll keep doing my usual bargain hunts and snapping things up that seem too good to turn down but I have no plans to add serious amounts for the time being. For now I'm happy to take a step back to observe and learn.

I will stop buying when it exceeds my comfortable asset allocation threshold.. which as it happens is pretty close right now as I have about 1/3 of my liquid wealth in the PM sector. I'm still buying, just at a much reduced rate, and bolstering my holding of other assets more. 

I'm with @vand on this one. Stick to your asset allocation. If you don't have an asset allocation because everything is in precious metals, it might be worth stopping buying and thinking where else your money could be put to work, especially if you have debt/mortgage. 

Otherwise, keep on stacking :-)

5 hours ago, vand said:

I will stop buying when it exceeds my comfortable asset allocation threshold.. which as it happens is pretty close right now as I have about 1/3 of my liquid wealth in the PM sector. I'm still buying, just at a much reduced rate, and bolstering my holding of other assets more. 

I'm kind of in the same place right now.  I'm still putting a not insignificant amount of my income into PMs, and probably will continue to into the foreseeable future.  But I'm also trying to figure out how best to invest in other areas.  So the amount I continue accumulating may change at some point, but I can't imagine that it'll stop.  If nothing else, I'll shift to being more of a collector of various series.

On 08/08/2019 at 20:12, Xander said:

That is also my motto....every ounce you can get your hand on....is a blessing...in my eyes 🤣 ....

I bought, if I could afford it, some gold each year...and I bought a lot more silver. Now I still buy silver, if the funds allow me....and I just recently started buying platinum instead of gold...

...but....with one thing in my mind......whatever I buy...it will be in the best interest of my children......every coin/oz of precious metals will be better then fiat money !

...So in short....I will buy whenever I can afford it, all kind of precious metals 👍

Archived