• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What about Platinum?

FoolzGold

With gold running wild and silver seemingly starting to follow, I wonder if platinum is going to show any gains in all this?

Personally I haven't come to terms with the new high gold prices so I haven't been able to bring myself to buy at these levels. I had been looking to silver but now that's beginning to climb too I also find it pretty expensive.

This all makes Platinum seem relatively affordable right now so instead I've bought another Pt QB. I'll probably regret it but I don't have a lot of platinum so I'm also thinking a little diversification may be wise.

Anyone else looking at alternatives at these price levels?

21 minutes ago, FoolzGold said:

With gold running wild and silver seemingly starting to follow, I wonder if platinum is going to show any gains in all this?

Personally I haven't come to terms with the new high gold prices so I haven't been able to bring myself to buy at these levels. I had been looking to silver but now that's beginning to climb too I also find it pretty expensive.

This all makes Platinum seem relatively affordable right now so instead I've bought another Pt QB. I'll probably regret it but I don't have a lot of platinum so I'm also thinking a little diversification may be wise.

Anyone else looking at alternatives at these price levels?

I agree and haven't bought any gold recently, only platinum and silver.

However, I will come to terms with gold prices probably within the next month when the next beast is released!  😊

The pre-sale premium is very low with the new releases, so at least that part of the price can be managed.

7 hours ago, RacerCool said:

I've been buying gold because it might continue to rise, so I better get what I can now before it becomes more prohibitively expensive. 

You're probably right but psychologically I just find it too painful right now. I'm going to have to take the leap eventually, if only to pick up the QB Yale before the premiums go up on it.

On 07/08/2019 at 22:08, Lr103 said:

The pre-sale premium is very low with the new releases, so at least that part of the price can be managed.

Sorry to be asking a daft question but where do you go to get a pre-sale deal? 

2 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Sorry to be asking a daft question but where do you go to get a pre-sale deal? 

It could be just a US dealer tactic, but typically whenever a new coin such as the next Queen's Beast comes out, the first few weeks they are listed as pre-sale.  At least with this series of coins, I've found that during this time the premiums over spot are the lowest.  

The newest beasts can be had for a lower per oz premium than Eagles, Britannias, or Maples (the Yale is still less per oz than a silver Eagle for example).  After this period of time, the premium increases a little, and then after a year or so it increases again.  After the mintage period ends, supply and demand for the coin controls the premium.

Here is an example...although this is a higher premium coin to begin with, we'll likely see the premium over spot increase from this amount once the pre-sale period ends:

https://www.apmex.com/product/193324/2019-tuvalu-1-oz-silver-black-flag-queen-annes-revenge

Thanks for such a details response @Lr103. I really appreciate this. I missed the boat either he QBs series and am playing catch up so anywhere I can save pennies going forward is good!! The only issue here is if it’s American, the import fees and postage would outweigh the savings...

Thanks again! 

Sorry for hijaking the thread. Back to the point: I don’t own any platinum as yet. I remember it being more expensive than gold too. Maybe the Olympic Committee will change to Sliver, Platinum and Gold medals...😂

I would love to get some platinum coins but am struggling along with silver at the moment. Maybe towards the end of the year I will look to get a QB in platinum.

1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I would love to get some platinum coins but am struggling along with silver at the moment. Maybe towards the end of the year I will look to get a QB in platinum.

What about the 1/10oz Pt Britannias from the group order or gs.be?

I believe Platinum is an even better buy with the recent price rises of silver and gold. My main issue is the only coins you can get at bullion prices are 1 oz, except the 1/10th Britannias, when they can be found. And even then, their premiums are much higher than gold, even taking account the VAT. 

I believe that if there were bullion fractionals available, they would present a great buy at the moment. 

Instagram: gildeon_67

On 10/08/2019 at 09:24, Serendipity said:

I’ve been thinking of complementing my 1oz gold QB Lion of England with a platinum QB Lion but worried about too much diversification because I’m already stacking gold and silver. Juggling between these two precious metals is more than enough for me.

Platinum QB Lion has a 49% premium on GSBe currently, vs 12.9% on the latest coin (the Bull). The Griffin, Dragon and Unicorn are all currently available and have premiums of 14.9%, 18.9% and 18.2% respectively.

Much of the time when I've looked in the recent past they've had zero availability of these coins apart from the Bull. The Dragon in particular seems to be always out of stock until just this past week or two and I don't know why the Griffin has a lower premium than the later coins but it certainly makes it tempting. The EuropeanMint has a competitive premium on the Bull but currently no availability on any of the older coins.

Of course getting your money back when trying to sell any of these in the future could be challenging, but if platinum ever regains its previous value relative to gold the premiums won't make much difference.

It just depends what you want it for, do you want a queens beast or do you want an ounce of platinum. If the later then buy the cheapest ounce you can find, as you say the premium is irrelevant over the long term but equally why pay it now unless you want the coin. When you get the one beast will you want the rest, ect. 

6 hours ago, KDave said:

It just depends what you want it for, do you want a queens beast or do you want an ounce of platinum. If the later then buy the cheapest ounce you can find, as you say the premium is irrelevant over the long term but equally why pay it now unless you want the coin. When you get the one beast will you want the rest, ect. 

That was the view I took when I picked up a 1oz Platinum Britannia in the Spring for just £690.

It's been a bit of a roller coaster ride in terms of its spot price since I acquired it, but that's just the nature of this particular PM, I guess!

I think platinum is a generational bargain. Accumulate it today and it will show you a very good profit when things turn around. I can't tell you when that will be; maybe it has already begun as the Pt:Pld ratio has shown signs of bottoming, but I operate on the assumption that it may be a decade or more for the pendulum to fully swing the other way. 

Archived