• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Korean Tiger series

StevenDS

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheSilverSurfer said:

Didn't even know it excisted, does such a coin hold more value than just a block of silver with the same weight?

It's higher premium. Also important to take into account, it's a medal, not a coin. Therefor in Europe we pay VAT on it. Same as for bars without face value.

8 minutes ago, TheSilverSurfer said:

Ok so if I understand it correctly; this 1ounce silver medal is more expansive than just a 1 ounce bar?

In Europe it's better to compare with eg a 1 oz maple leaf or Brittania. Those are cheaper then the Tigers. Because we don't pay VAT on them due to the face value.

We pay VAT on bars. Cheapest option to buy silver in UK/Europe is 1 oz BU coins with face value.

But all this is not really related to this thread, but rather general physical silver investing.

50 minutes ago, TheSilverSurfer said:

Didn't even know it excisted, does such a coin hold more value than just a block of silver with the same weight?

Absolutely. Low mintages and the 2018 version is the first in the series. Check out what the initial Chinese Pandas go for now. I expect the Korean Tiger to perform equally well over time.

16 hours ago, TheSilverSurfer said:

Hm sounds funny, is it because the panda's are more scarce/rare ?

Exactly. The rarer and older the coin the more value it will have.  There is definite value in being the first in a series. 

As an example the Perth Mint of Australia mints millions of 1 ounce Silver Kangaroos(which have the same design every year)  but they also have a 1 ounce silver Kookaburra(which also has a new unique and generally well executed design annually) with a max mintage of 500,000. It should be obvious which coin will have greater appreciation of over time.

I recently ordered 20 medallions of the 1 oz 2018 silver Korean Tiger and 25 (1 tube) medallions of the 1 oz 2019 Korean Tiger from Aurinum.de.

Must have been their last 2018's because it has now disappeared from their site. The 2019's haven't even arrived yet at Aurinum yet. Only as from August 14th.

There don't appear to be much left of the 2018's from European dealers.

2018 mintage: 30.000

2019 mintage: 20.000

Paying the VAT hurts, but I'm betting collectors will pay high premiums for them if the series catches on.

16 minutes ago, StevenDS said:

I recently ordered 20 medallions of the 1 oz 2018 silver Korean Tiger and 25 (1 tube) medallions of the 1 oz 2019 Korean Tiger from Aurinum.de.

Must have been their last 2018's because it has now disappeared from their site. The 2019's haven't even arrived yet at Aurinum yet. Only as from August 14th.

There don't appear to be much left of the 2018's from European dealers.

2018 mintage: 30.000

2019 mintage: 20.000

Paying the VAT hurts, but I'm betting collectors will pay high premiums for them if the series catches on.

The 2018 1 oz Tiger is an elegant piece. You will be thrilled with it.

I like the tigers quite a bit and have both plus the 2018 10 oz.  I'm surprised they didn't come out with a 2019 10 oz tiger... Though I guess it could still happen?

In the US there seem to still be plenty of the 10 oz available online, but the 2018 1 oz tiger is sold out everywhere other than one small online dealer.  It is up to about $32 shipped on eBay.

I wiiiish they would have made these Korean currency.

3 minutes ago, Branman1986 said:

I like the tigers quite a bit and have both plus the 2018 10 oz.  I'm surprised they didn't come out with a 2019 10 oz tiger... Though I guess it could still happen?

In the US there seem to still be plenty of the 10 oz available online, but the 2018 1 oz tiger is sold out everywhere other than one small online dealer.  It is up to about $32 shipped on eBay.

I wiiiish they would have made these Korean currency.

Wasn't the 2018 10 oz version released in December 2018? Still plenty of time to release it indeed.

The 2019 1 oz silver version is a total different design. I imagine some might not like it, but I do. However they should have included some mirror finishes eg on the fangs, claws, eyes and whiskers.

It's indeed a pity they don't have a  face value. That means we pay VAT on them here in Europe.

aha, some more Korean tiger lovers !!

....I have the 2019 Korean tigers about 3 weeks in hand.....lovely medals, love them.....but very much different from the 2018 tigers which I bought last year.....but very understandable...because.....A LOT, if not MOST of the 2018 tigers have issues....a lot of marks, spots, haze, scratches on the proof-like finish. I have returned 1/2 of what I bought last year to my dealer !

So the more matt, bu, condition/mint of the 2019 is no surprise to me.....less issues (at least to the eye) 🙂

So, in short...love the design, love the series, love the mintage.....and happy with the finish of the 2019 tiger.

The 2018 tigers, I believe, will increase in price, especially for the 'good' quality medals.

14 hours ago, Tritoon01 said:

aha, some more Korean tiger lovers !!

....I have the 2019 Korean tigers about 3 weeks in hand.....lovely medals, love them.....but very much different from the 2018 tigers which I bought last year.....but very understandable...because.....A LOT, if not MOST of the 2018 tigers have issues....a lot of marks, spots, haze, scratches on the proof-like finish. I have returned 1/2 of what I bought last year to my dealer !

So the more matt, bu, condition/mint of the 2019 is no surprise to me.....less issues (at least to the eye) 🙂

So, in short...love the design, love the series, love the mintage.....and happy with the finish of the 2019 tiger.

The 2018 tigers, I believe, will increase in price, especially for the 'good' quality medals.

Nice to see a fellow countryman also showing interest in this series. Care to share where you bought yours from?

I bought mine from Aurinum (German online dealer).

I got a good batch of Korean Tigers 2018 from GSBE without scratches or milk spots (until now !). This is a beautiful medal.

I even love more the Ghana Leopard serie and especially the beautiful second coin with  a really low mintage  of 8500 . it could be a real winner if the serie takes off and the designs to come are on par with the 2018P1530037-2.thumb.jpg.840f8a5112a6f76a227220eb73dc94b9.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived