• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How daft can you get?

TonyS

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

I bought a set of laboratory scales this morning for what was a good price, the rub was “buyer collects” and I don’t drive! So I’ve now got a lump of glass, mahogany and brass thirty five miles away that’s going to cost a small fortune to get on to my mantelpiece.

G-G-sc-01.jpg

21 hours ago, TonyS said:

t seemed like a good idea at the time.

I bought a set of laboratory scales this morning for what was a good price, the rub was “buyer collects” and I don’t drive! So I’ve now got a lump of glass, mahogany and brass thirty five miles away that’s going to cost a small fortune to get on to my mantelpiece.

ooo nice  me want😊

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

7 hours ago, westminstrel said:

It looks beautiful. How much is shipping to Australia? 😆

Everything has a price. Have a look for “Griffin & George” under scientific instruments on e-bay. The ones I’ve bought are probably late 60’s / early 70’s. I used them in the schools chemistry laboratory around the 70’s.

Earlier ones don’t have chain fine graduation scale or the “bob weight”.

You may have heard the term “bob on” it’s when everything is perfect.

5 hours ago, dicker said:

That is a nice bit of kit.  Can you imagine how much that would cost to make in 2019 - even if you could find the people with the skills!

And that is the problem, we no longer train apprentice engineers.

A company I worked for built a new plant costing £140M, the engineers they had were all approaching retirement. They took on apprentices and had to ask the old codgers to stay on to train the newbie’s.

I see this everywhere, Labour arbitrage has seen lots of skills being offshored.  Even with this there is such a need for people who have done A levels and will be trained and coached through a career by a company.

Some companies do this still but not many.  Graduates are good when they have done directly applicable degrees (engineering, maths, medicine) but my experience is that many are taken on and are not as good as an apprentice.

Not my circus, not my monkeys

• 2 weeks later...

There are courier services that will collect items for you.  Some will require the seller to wrap or stick the item in a box but others don't. 

If you bought from an auction house they often have a link to the company the recommend.

A quick search turned up parcelmonkey who seem to use parcelforce and dpd but their page also says;

Can I get a courier to pick up an eBay item?

Yes, you can. If you’ve bought something from eBay or another online market place and want to have it collected and delivered to you, that’s no problem.

Just get a quote as normal, set the collection address as the senders, place the order and email the person at the collection address any shipping labels that are required to attach to the parcel.

They might need to weigh and measure the parcel for you, but once you have this information it is a simple process.

ipostparcels also seem to require the seller to package the item.

• 1 month later...
On 19/08/2019 at 07:47, 5huggy said:

😉🙄 similarly like "fine wine" then  @TonyS

Sorry for the late reply.

At collage I had to get dispensation from customs and excise to carry out experiments on the distillation of industrial alcohol. Every drop had to be accounted for.

Some of it went walk about, I don’t know how?

5 hours ago, TonyS said:

Sorry for the late reply.

At collage I had to get dispensation from customs and excise to carry out experiments on the distillation of industrial alcohol. Every drop had to be accounted for.

Some of it went walk about, I don’t know how?

The customs people eventually got wise to laboratory "use" of alcohol. Going back to the eighties, we used to use it by the 25L barrel for a perfectly legitimate reason. I think the trouble was, we used rather too much and eventually had to account for "every drop". We couldn't comply and so had to pay duty on it on purchase.🍷

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived