• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Boris Johnson as PM Commemorative 50p

FoolzGold

I'm going to bag myself as many of these as I can!

I'm expecting them to sky rocket in value, due to the incredibly low mintage.......

owing to the fact that he'll only be Prime Minister for about 5 more minutes :D:D

Im glad to have Bojo at the helm, more seems to be getting done than has done for a long time! He might be a bit eccentric but at least hes taking a tougher stance with our European overlords.

Its an improvement on TM and god forbid if someone like JC got in. 

In as non-political manner as possible, would someone explain to a foreigner why Boris Johnson is or isn't a  good PM? 

I understand Brexit (I think), but not so much what the controversy is around him as PM. If this derails the thread too much, or is inappropriate (with a coin like that, though...) my apologies. 

He is seen as a bit of a clown but in reality has a great deal of wit and intelligence. He did well as London mayor for 8 years, he did very well reducing crime and was mayor for the Olympics, but people blamed him for the wasted money on Garden bridge and failing to provide affordable housing. 

The biggest problem people have is his stance on Brexit, he is taking the line that should have been taken from day one, play hard ball and be prepared for economic war by leaving without a deal. There is a similar hysteria from certain sections of the press and intelligentsia as there was with Trump, a Boris derangement syndrome over what he now represents (his alignment with hard brexit). 

I think he will do well, no one is perfect but if he can deliver WTO trade and sovereignty in law and finance for the UK by October 31st he will have earned his place in the history books. After that who knows how he will do but if London is anything to go by I am confident he will do well, if he gets that chance. Politically he may not last long, but it reminds me of what happened to Trump with the impeachment nonsense and Russia gate in the beginning, he survived, perhaps Boris can also survive the negative press campaign. 

Boris the buffoon seems to have done more for Brexit in a fortnight tham May did in 3 years if the talk is genuine, 10 free ports, billions set aside for ease of transition and a legal challenge to the Irish backstop.  It does actually look like preparations for Brexit at least which never happened with May.

As for who would win a GE I'm not so sure, everyone knows Bojo is a lying opportunist yet many vote for him anyway, the rabid Marxist is portrayed as a man of principle but how principled is campaining for leaving the EU for decades as a back bencher only to head the charge now for remaining.  Looks like a case of a choice between a brown turd and a beige turd.

Well firstly I'm not sure there were many good options.

I think he's going to prove to be a bad PM as he lacks credibility. Often seen as a bit of a buffoon who has a record of saying ill advised things. He also lacks support within his own party and now has no real majority. 

It does seem he is loved by the conservative members though so perhaps can change his support with a general election.

Personally I don't like him; he is only interested in power not what to do with it. He wants to be the next Churchill but lacks the situation.

Also people give him credit for the Olympics, but all he did was be mayor at the time. He didn't help win the bid (that was Ken Livingstone) nor organise the games. He did get stuck on a zip line.

Boris bikes, not his either, in fact his impact on the cycle super high was to delay it. 

My point is he's good at taking credit, and somewhat bare-faced lying about things he did wrong. I don't think this will make a good prime minister, but it hasn't stopped them before.

He did hire some pro cannabis legalisation advisers recently so maybe his judgment isn't all bad.

From what I can see the opposition nearly sheeit themselves with his delivery at the dispatch box. The problem with our politicians is that they have been sucking on the nipple of Brussels bureaucrats ( Stockholm Syndrome ) for decades making all their decisions for them that they now don't know how to run a country. I have never voted Conservative, but I would vote for this guy.

2 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

not his either, in fact his impact on the cycle super high was to delay it. 

He is now forever associated with bikes, Boris bikes as you say, this is very interesting, as was his activity surrounding the unveiling of a replica Palmyra arch (also called the Arch of Baal) in Trafalgar square. He has friends in high places lets just say. You can see that from his plan for London that ranged in the 2050's he is not just an opportunist, this is all part of the act, as is the buffoonery. Do not underestimate this man is all I am saying. 

6 minutes ago, KDave said:

Do not underestimate this man is all I am saying. 

I don't underestimate him, he positioned himself perfectly to take over in time to get himself into the history books.

I also get that he's intelligent and his persona is an act designed to apeal to/distract voters and not win support with MPs. That kinda stuff goes on behind the scene, and there may be the problem as he hasn't really shown any ability there. He wasn't a stellar or long serving foreign secretary and running an incredibly wealthy London in comparatively good times is different to sorting out a country at a crucial crossroad. 

I'd say we're between a rock and a hard place for either party option leadership wise. Boris is at least is better at convincing others he's got a plan, don't think it'll end up being enough though.

I would agree somewhat on London being in good times, not compared to Ken Livingstone boom years, as Boris was Mayor from 2007? First the great recession, then austerity, but followed by the reflationary period driven by QE, resulting in house price rises, he had the Olympics, also record inflows of foreign money. What interests me is that he campaigned to reduce crime, perhaps we can say that was opportunistic as crime increased under Labour, but the end result was a statistically safer London until Khan too over. 

I am looking at what Boris did with London and comparing this with him as one of the figure heads of Brexit in 2016, he was clearly opportunistic, yet now again he is in position to come through on it. I believe he will, if he makes the space to give himself the chance, and things are not taken out of his hands by parliament.   

Agreed the options for leadership are poor, I believe this is the result of the two party political system. Many people would vote for Boris to keep Corybn out and vice versa such is the nature of it and why our democracy is proving to be increasing unstable and clearly showing its illusory nature as demonstrated by the last 3 years.

The Government is not our friend.

Boris becoming PM is just another distraction.

A new PM is no different from putting a new steel toe-capped boot on the same foot that has been kicking us in the nads for decades.

The boot has no control over the foot.

Other opinions are available. 😄

Agreed our 2 party system does seem to be showing it's limitations by producing two poor choices. I did find it amusing Corbyn, an ardent brexiteer had to campaign for remain, whilst May a remainer had to become a staunch brexiteer. 

Crime went down, but once again was that Boris or the country and a conservative (in coalition) government during that time? Interestingly crime was falling leading up to 2007/8 then rose in 2013 and continued to rise.

This idea that somehow he'll be stymied or prevented from doing what he wants by parliament needs to be curtailed. We're a parliamentary democracy not a dictator lead puesdo monarchy. We need and deserve to have reasoned debate. This emotion is what got us into this silly situation where the UK is no longer see as a stable lawful reasoned country. 

Yes we are a parliamentary democracy yet the vote to leave the EU was by referendum (an unusual event); the result of which has yet to carried out 3 years later. Most areas of the UK are leave, but most of parliament are remainers. That is where the accusations that parliament are preventing the will of the majority rightly come from, such accusations do not need to be curtailed unless the truth is to be curtailed also. 

55 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Agreed our 2 party system does seem to be showing it's limitations by producing two poor choices. I did find it amusing Corbyn, an ardent brexiteer had to campaign for remain, whilst May a remainer had to become a staunch brexiteer. 

Both parties will do whatever makes that said mp money,Corbyn would have been better sticking with his leave the Eu view.But to change from an ardent brexiteer to hardcore remain seems odd.

Most likely got some good $$$$  from the eu😂 can people who change their views on a drop of a hat be trusted.

Wasn't may giving all the security contracts to g4s,as her husband was a ceo or whatever,and david camerons wife sat on the board of a wind farm company.

So they used his position to push through planning and contracts etc etc.Or blairs wife selling flats and items from 10 downing street :P

Point being,Most of them are cunts and will say and do whatever will make them the most £££ :)

Archived