• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How are coins packaged?

Mike12421

Hello all, 

May sound like a daft question, but how do gold Sovereigns come packaged? I am yet to take receipt of any physical gold, and have been looking at gold-price.co.uk for the best prices. 

Do they come packaged the same no matter where you buy them from, ie in the capsules that I have seen on this forum, or is it dependent on where you buy from. That leads me on to my second question, do you all tend to buy from the same supplier to "standardise" your collection with standard receipts etc, certificates etc, or do you shop around?

Thanks in advance. 

11 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

I had a half oz gold Britannia come in just a flip

Wow, really, I thought they would secure them in a capsule or something. 

What do you use for your collection, the single capsules, tubes or some sort of display box? 

Pretty much all gold coins come in flips from most dealers.
Proofs should come in capsules issued by the mint and maybe even presentation boxes.
Australian coins tend to come in original capsules.
I have purchased one ounce gold Queen's Beasts and had to purchase capsules otherwise they would have just come in a flip.

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Pretty much all gold coins come in flips from most dealers.
Proofs should come in capsules issued by the mint and maybe even presentation boxes.
Australian coins tend to come in original capsules.
I have purchased one ounce gold Queen's Beasts and had to purchase capsules otherwise they would have just come in a flip.

Many thanks for the detailed reply. 

• Founder & Administrator

Sovereigns come in a tube of 25 from the mint. The tubes come in a crate. Dealers will likely put coin into a coin flip, although some put into a lighthouse coin capsule. Some may even come in bubble wrap only.

sovtube.pnggold-soverign-monsterbox.jpg

Mostly the only bullion that comes direct from a mint in capsules is Pert Mint, their coins come plastic wrapped in tubes of capsulated coins, and are then boxes.

australiangoldcoinstube.jpeg
perthmintrollbox.jpg 
(could only find a photo of some silver coins in a box, but gives an idea as to how they are sent from the mint to dealers)

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

15 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

Sovereigns come in a tube of 25 from the mint. The tubes come in a crate. Dealers will likely put coin into a coin flip, although some put into a lighthouse coin capsule. Some may even come in bubble wrap only.

Mostly the only bullion that comes direct from a mint in capsules is Pert Mint, their coins come plastic wrapped in tubes of capsulated coins, and are then boxes.

perthmintrollbox.jpg 
(could only find a photo of some silver coins in a box, but gives an idea as to how they are sent from the mint to dealers)

Best comprehensive answer with graphical examples. I’m not too bothered about whether my sovereigns come in flips or capsules (generally lighthouse  or screw tops in the UK) because I encapsulate them all in direct fit air-tites. Unfortunately, I’m not lucky enough to be American because Americans can acquire all their coins and accessories from one bullion dealer such as APMEX. I’m heavily dependent in the UK on multiple dealers for my coin needs.

15 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

perthmintrollbox.jpg 

Have to agree, excellent writeup, thanks. 

I'm still deciding to collect sovereigns or britannias, whilst I'm still making up my mind I've ordered some PAMP bars. The fact that the coins don't attract CGT is a big plus for me, but those bars are incredible. 

On 26/07/2019 at 22:02, Mike12421 said:

Hello all, 

May sound like a daft question, but how do gold Sovereigns come packaged? I am yet to take receipt of any physical gold, and have been looking at gold-price.co.uk for the best prices. 

Do they come packaged the same no matter where you buy them from, ie in the capsules that I have seen on this forum, or is it dependent on where you buy from. That leads me on to my second question, do you all tend to buy from the same supplier to "standardise" your collection with standard receipts etc, certificates etc, or do you shop around?

Thanks in advance. 

How do gold sovereigns come packaged?

Singles up to 25 from Atkinsons Bullion, Hatton Garden Metals etc: Flips

If ordering over 15, they'll sometimes send them in a sovereign tube anyway (if they have a few floating around).

25+, normally supplied in sovereign tubes.

If you want tubes, a few folks on the forum have a few for sale now and then, ask on the buy/sell section, or you can buy tubes directly from atkinsons etc.

As for receipts, certificates etc, all sov's are sent with purchase receipts, but normally you will not receive a certificate. 

I shop around for the best price, but normally stick to the main dealers or sellers on the forum. 

Hope this helps.

Edit: the above applies to bullion grade sov's. Proofs normally come in capsules and maybe a presentation case. Graded coins come in packages such as this:

coin.thumb.png.6b04d25007171761f4d8fc83e9b16e30.png

The non-circulating commemorative gold that I've had that comes from th US mint have come in capsules from the mint. (eg- all 1980s and later $5 half Eagles, etc)

The new Eagles (not to be confused with actual pre-1933 $10 Eagles) come from the mint in tubes of 20 or 25, like most other national bullion coins, not capsules. And hence most of the time you'll get one in a flip, not a capsule.

Archived