• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

When to sell?

BullionBarn

For those of you who are stacking silver, what is your strategy to sell and cash in your stack? What spot price are you waiting for, and what percentage of your stack would you sell?

Or, are you waiting for the gold silver ratio to drop and then flip your silver into gold?

Would love to hear all of your thoughts and opinions, it’s easy to buy silver every month but when the prices shoots up, when do you take action??

I'm not so new to buying but am fairly new to selling so keep that in mind here that I've not been selling for a long time. I also suspect I'm quite small scale compared to a lot of folks.

My general plan is to keep the PM's I have accumulated until retirement. I see it very much as a store of wealth and the intention isn't to cash out until well in to the future.

That being said I have recently sold a number of items. If an item goes up an amount that I don't feel is sustainable I will sell it. A good example are some of the 10oz Queens Beasts that I bought last year and have recently sold. I feel the values those are achieving is not sustainable so I've cashed in. Maybe I'm right on them, maybe I'm wrong but I've made a profit and I'm moving on from them. I've also sold a couple sovereigns that I purchased last year on ebay during one of the 15% off days. With the discount they were purchased under spot and given where spot is now there was a decent profit achieved on them.

So to summarise I don't really plan on selling until retirement but if an opportunity arsies on some of my items to cash in at a decent profit I will likely take that opportunity and reinvest elsewhere.

I'll add as well...  the recent spike in the gold spot price had an effect on premiums that I wasn't expecting. Again I'm fairly new to this. I've always had an interest in silver and gold but I'm new to paying close attention to the general market for silver and gold bullion. My thought on premiums when spot rose was that the premium % would stay the same as spot rose. What I've seen happen instead though is that as spot rose the achievable premium shrank. Seeing this has given me cause to really reconsider what I buy for my own stack/collection. Silver coins have a very high premium above spot and if the same thing happens the spot price of silver will need to go up A LOT to make selling generic items worth while.

Like you my plan is build a pot for retirement. But I know at some point there will be a “too good to miss opportunity” and I don’t want to be influence by greedy emotions. 

I need to create a cunning master plan to remove emotions and just act at key market  points. 

Time to plan now before this Silver price goes too high!

My kids get the lot barring some real rainy times ahead which in florida is between 3pm and 6pm nightly in the summer...lol...but it doesn't mean I can't play by buying and selling, converting and holding, gold is dropping slightly as people convert their gold to silver, so I'm buying gold and holding silver, if silver reaches $20 then I'm selling silver and buying more gold, picking amongst the lcs gold scrap to find the good pieces, I get them for under spot and they are clean and sellable, no broken pieces, and when there's no gold on offer I might pick up a couple of eagles...it's like betting on the geegee's, only spend what you can afford to lose and the odds are better then scratch tickets so ..... keep calm and buy on.

I’m continuing to buy and hold to dollar cost average while silver hopefully continues to climb. When/if silver goes above $30 I will sell 1/4 of my stack each month until it’s gone or silver falls below $30.  This locks in my gain but leaves me room if it continues to run (and something pretty to look at!).

If the GSR drops below 50 due to gold declining I will aggressively move at least half my silver stack to gold. 

Thats me, you do you.

At the moment I am buying until reaching my initial target, which is probably 6-12 months away. Hopefully we'll not see derious increases until then. After that I intend to keep it for about 7-8 years from now, when I plan to move. At that time I will either sell it if I need the money and prices are good or exchange for gold for portability or a combination of the two.

If in the meantime silver reaches a good price (I would say at least 25€), I would consider selling earlier.

Instagram: gildeon_67

I think it’s true, we all have our own plans, we just need to know what they are before we need to use them.🤔

Half of me wants the Silver price to stay flat so I can build my stack, the other half, to the moon!🚀🌙

When and how to sell has been discussed often on this forum before. It strongly hints that many people still don't really understand the nature of precious metals and are too focssed on ekeing out small paper profits. PMs are not a trading instrument that should be commonly bought and sold according to bag quick profits. They should be accumulated over a very long time, and if, and only if, the market presents a overwhelmingly good offer then should you then consider selling them. 

John Templeton said "sell when you find a much better bargain to replace what you are selling." We are nowhere near that point. PMs and the commodities complex are still the best bargain in town. 

I'm truly agnostic between silver and gold, so it would be wrong to say that I'm "waiting the the GSR to move before swapping my position". I may do so if I deem an opportunity that is too good a trade to refuse comes along. Right now silver is a screaming bargain, so I sold some of my gold to buy silver. When stocks or real estate or bonds become a much better bargain relative to PMs I will look to shift my wealth over in that direction...

10 minutes ago, vand said:

PMs are not a trading instrument that should be commonly bought and sold according to bag quick profits. They should be accumulated over a very long time, and if, and only if, the market presents a overwhelmingly good offer then should you then consider selling them.

Not strictly true.

Once a certain level of knowledge has been attained, there’s plenty of opportunity to make quick profits trading PM’s. This helps the longer term accumulation goal.

7 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Not strictly true.

Once a certain level of knowledge has been attained, there’s plenty of opportunity to make quick profits trading PM’s. This helps the longer term accumulation goal.

I'm talking about if you buy PMs for the traditional roles that PMs have played.  ie, buying the metal content for their wealth preservation and fiat hedging qualities. If you intend to trade it more frequently than once every few years then the "correct" way to do it is in the paper market. 

If you talking about trading the numismatic value of coins, or if you are talking about buying them with the intention of flipping for a quick profit then those are separate topic because your reasons for buying are entirely different.

7 hours ago, vand said:

I'm talking about if you buy PMs for the traditional roles that PMs have played.  ie, buying the metal content for their wealth preservation and fiat hedging qualities. If you intend to trade it more frequently than once every few years then the "correct" way to do it is in the paper market. 

If you talking about trading the numismatic value of coins, or if you are talking about buying them with the intention of flipping for a quick profit then those are separate topic because your reasons for buying are entirely different.

You cab do both, some antique collectors buy for themselves of return over the years and also buy and flip when they feel a good profit is in the offing....I don't think there is anything wrong, in fact it's experience that tells you that somethings have a quick return and if not collection material can go, even old coin collectors will sell their collections in part to get something better or more appealing...I dont think people here are on about selling for spending money, in fact most talk of selling one pm to get into another or to hold cash to later buy again as they feel the market will fall.

Archived