• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

BackyardBullion

Something a bit different - Backyard Veggies!!!

Home gardening is very rewarding but not the easiest hobby to master. Each vegetable requires its own technique and management.. pest control is very frustrating especially the slugs. ( Little fu*****).. then there's the green house it a hole new ball game in there. My best project was a home made wormery made out off a wheelie bin, the tea it produces is fantastic and compost to die for.

6 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

Share your photos of veggies too, always 

I love the idea of being self sufficient with your vegetables!  We are that way with apples, and to a lesser extent grapes.  These are from last year's harvest, which is in late September or early October.

Apples.jpg

Apples and Grapes.jpg

I only have a small garden, just enough room for 2 greenhouses and half a dozen old black water tanks and containers growing climbing french beans and sugarsnap peas. Can't get rid of the cucumbers fast enough and the toms are coming on nicely.

Edited by sovereignsteve

7 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I only have a small garden, just enough room for 2 greenhouses and half a dozen old black water tanks and containers growing climbing french beans and sugarsnap peas. Can't get rid of the cucumbers fast enough and the toms are coming on nicely.

Awesome stuff, despite the lack of turnips 😉

Our Toms are just showing a little colour finally!

I'm a big fan of this sort of thing. Sadly I have little space where I live currently to grow anything but usually manage to grow some items in containers - peppers of various types are a favourite. I went in big last year on pepperoncini and jalapeno - the latter of which are going to be soon producing the next batch this year. I'm still very much enjoying last years harvest with the various pickles and sauces that I made and "canned". Also spot the sloe gin 😁

20180923_134716.jpg

20180923_151417.jpg

20181021_175526.jpg

20181106_143738.jpg

@AppleZippoandMetronome Awesome awesome stuff.

We have also tried chillies and had marginal success, nothing like your ones!

But, what we did was froze them and then when you cook a curry or whatever just take them out and defrost them and away you go! They don't seem to lose any of their potency either which is great!

I forget the variety of the red ones, but they are medium heat. The orange ones are Cayenne peppers and pack a pretty big punch!

IMG_20190723_091335.thumb.jpg.31c7c8a37be9fc72acf4db9cdc92696f.jpg

55 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@AppleZippoandMetronome Awesome awesome stuff.

We have also tried chillies and had marginal success, nothing like your ones!

But, what we did was froze them and then when you cook a curry or whatever just take them out and defrost them and away you go! They don't seem to lose any of their potency either which is great!

I forget the variety of the red ones, but they are medium heat. The orange ones are Cayenne peppers and pack a pretty big punch!

Freezing them is something I've never tried - will have to give that a go with some of this years crop as there are still loads of pickled ones. I got quite lucky last year weather wise with the peppers. That really long hot and dry period we had at the beginning of summer last year was just perfect for them. This years ones aren't quite as good.

Cayenne's are great and I know what you mean about the punch! I grew them in Canada a few times. Like jalapenos they are really good smoked too and either dried or made in to sauce. Take on such a lovely smokey but firey flavour.

On a similar note to all this foraging is also something I enjoy. Blackberries are the typical one to go and get but there is so much about when you look for it. Last year the blackberries were super bountiful (its looking like that will be the same again this year) and it is lovely spending an afternoon wandering through the fields and trails with the dogs collecting them. Most of this lot got turned in to jam though some was frozen and there were of course several crumbles made and quickly consumed 😋

41385902_10155520259895964_7313331820408340480_n.jpg

@BackyardBullionwe still have various fruit gin and vodka - obviously not drinking them fast enough:lol:

@AppleZippoandMetronome yes - lots of fruit crumbles/pies and anything else at the moment!

@greendragon looks like we will also have hazelnuts this year - the trees on the way to the shops only seem to crop every other year:unsure:

Another 2 trays of broad beans yesterday and the tomatoes are still green - I suppose I will have to water things when I get home as people keep telling me it is warm outside :lol:

IMG_20190723_202000087.jpg

IMG_20190724_210249092.jpg

IMG_20190724_205448817.jpg

Ferments.thumb.jpg.47766c18183a108bfed11ce83d8e292b.jpg

On the left is Pineapple and Golden Berries in distilled water with silica, trace minerals, fulvic acid and a probiotic capsule.

On right is same but with coconut water and minus goldenberries.

These are fermented probiotic drinks a bit like Kombucha.

848486922_SoleHawthorn(1).thumb.jpg.72080389c12664139230c09f8126e32d.jpg

On left is Hawthorn Berry Tea.

On right is Sole Salt...Himalayan Rock salt with Hibiscus Flower Water as a colour and Vit C...add to smoothies and soups for minerals.

Distiller.thumb.jpg.cda1eaf462abdd6e60ad1629d545ac4d.jpg

I use a distiller to make tap water drinkable.

You can just make out the quartz and amethyst crystals in the bottom of the jug.

The crystals energise the water.

Vortexer.thumb.jpg.0e33f339fe3b82f150b9685da7e74367.jpg

I drink distilled water which has no minerals and also make structured water via my vortexer.

I add trace minerals to the distilled water and also silica and MSM.

It spins for about 20 mins and breaks down the minerals into angstrom size which are much more bio available.

I have stuck 16 small neodymium magnets at 4 points around the base as it is the vortexing in a magnetic field that makes the difference.

This water tastes awesome...very smooth and completely different from the distilled water.

Kilner.thumb.jpg.4fcc8b8d9c8093c5cf403b2b61c52751.jpg

I store water in and drink from these brilliant Kilner bottles.