• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Import charges

Xander

I have bought gold coins from the US on numerous occasions, would there be a reason this time the seller is demanding $144 import charges up front in order to post coin to to me in the UK? 

44 minutes ago, blindguy said:

The U.S. internet sale tax laws took effect on July 1. Might this have something to do with the charges?

I don't think so, it clearly says import duty, yet they are exporting I noticed other eBay sellers do not charge this. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Xander said:

I have bought gold coins from the US on numerous occasions, would there be a reason this time the seller is demanding $144 import charges up front in order to post coin to to me in the UK? 

I've just fallen foul of sales taxes. I'll think twice in the future.

I think that US sellers using Ebay international service are charging duties, which are calculated automatically after a certain amount (around 20$ or so). Others can send a package individually without declaring anything, with only the risk of getting caught at your customs. Hasn't happened to me yet but for relatively small amounts.

Instagram: gildeon_67

2 minutes ago, TonyS said:

I've just fallen foul of sales taxes. I'll think twice in the future.

The problem is I haven't paid yet which means I get blacklisted from paypal Its strange some company's don't charge and others do. Not sure if you have heard of this, it is something called " Global Shipping Program." More like global shipping con. 

One of the problems with the Global Shipping Programme is that it is an automated process that is based on the price of the item and the details the seller inputs when listing (weight and size of parcel). It doesn't take in to account what the item is. What is happening here is that it is charging you maximum import charges based upon the item you are importing being general goods - not something that is exempt from import charges. It is important to note that the seller can't fix this for you - the seller won't even be able to see the fees that the GSP has quoted you let alone have any ability to adjust them. A lot of items I sell in my ebay shop go out via the GSP so I'm very used to it from the seller side.

You can try two things - contacting ebay themselves to see if they can adjust this for you though I really don't think you'll have any luck with this. Pitney Bowes Inc is the company who handles the GSP operations for ebay. The second option is to contact the seller and ask if they'll ship the item to you directly. They'll need to cancel the current listing you've agreed to buy but if they agree to this they should be able to set it back up with the right settings - it is something I've done for customers when the GSP seems to be quoting the wrong price. Failing these two you can just message the seller requesting to cancel the transaction. Most ebay sellers will appreciate a cancel request instead of simply not paying. It will allow the seller to get the fees ebay will have already charged them back and get the item relisted.

21 minutes ago, Xander said:

The problem is I haven't paid yet which means I get blacklisted from paypal Its strange some company's don't charge and others do. Not sure if you have heard of this, it is something called " Global Shipping Program." More like global shipping con. 

Tell me about it, fifty + quid on top of the sale price!

@Xander  he is either using the global shipping programme (or taking the p--s)  which a bit like our lovely HMRC charge everything at 20% regardless of what the tax/duty actually is.Re your gold coin there is no VAT or tax payable on importation to the UK so you should contact your seller & ask him to ship using USPS.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

i avoid any listings showing 'Customs services and international tracking provided.'

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Hi @Xander. I always list my coins to ship worldwide but will only do so using the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) despite me knowing full well that the poor old buyer will have a ridiculous chunk of postage added on. 

The reason is to protect myself, once the item gets to the GSP depot in Lichfield, my liability as a seller ends- I don’t have any worries if the item doesn’t reach the buyer, eBay/ their shipping agent shoulder the claim- in apparently all cases for example, I sold an item to a buyer in the USA and they had used a credit card Fraudulently and again, I had no liability and the payment I received was not even put on hold. 

Ebay is the Wild West- for sellers, buyers have all the protection they need in the majority of cases.  Like @AppleZippoandMetronome Says, I would contact the seller and ask if he could send you an invoice with direct postage from him- he can then do a risk assessment of you based on past feedback/ your interaction with him etc. etc. And he might well oblige- I do if I’m reasonably satisfied of the buyer- or perhaps ask to cancel the order. 

Don’t also expect a 5 star service from eBay’s shipping partner under GSP if you do go ahead. I shipped an expensive coin to Germany and the buyer told me he came home to find it on top of his wheelie bin! 

To summarise- I know it’s a rip off and makes my items uncompetitive at times however, GSP affords me protection as long as it reaches their depot.

Unfortunately, not all of us who use eBay are decent, it’s tiring hearing from ‘dave1234’ by eBay message asking ‘ere mate, have you shipped the coin yet- and when you track it, it’s already signed by ‘Dave’....some people want their cake and eat it, and then take another lump...

Yes with GSP you will get nailed with import taxes which do not apply in many cases. I have raised this with Ebay several times and the reply is always the same - ask the seller to ship using conventional shipping, then you will only pay what is actually due, if anything.

Pitney Bowes who sort this element of GSP just apply a blanket charge to everything that comes to the UK with GSP, so if buying gold coins that are stated VAT exempt on UK HMRC notice 701 /21A do not use GSP.

Silver Numismatic collectable coins have a reduced VAT tariff, but again if using GSP you will get nailed with the full amount.

GSP is a real rip off and overcharges the earth.
Have tried myself to get US sellers to ship directly but they are fearful.
Don't really see any problem for the seller using PayPal and a tracked courier like UPS but they won't have it.
In my previous job I imported thousands of packages from the USA using UPS and DHL without a hitch or loss.

Yes UPS are excellent when buying USA to UK. I recently purchased a coin from the US and the seller charged me $40 tracked and signed with UPS and it took 3 days door to door and they are very good dealing with the customs side of things.

The same coin was for sale with another seller using GSP and they were asking for $200 in shipping and import duties

Yes, unfortunately you just usually have to ignore all the GSP shipped items even when they are much cheaper than buying from other sellers.

I can't remember the last time a seller agreed to ship directly from the US when asked.  I don't suppose I blame them as they know they will get the item sold to someone else and not have to worry about shipping problems.

Archived