• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

GOLD deals

darrol

I have been buying up gold bullion sovereigns for a few years , mostly from reputable dealers in the UK ,  Now I have £3000 to send on gold and just wanted to know what people think about what gold I should buy next?

Carry on buying sovs as cheap as you can. Can't go wrong. Whatever you do, don't get sucked into high premium gold coins on the off chance that their collectability may keep their premiums, as the gold price increases. And don't buy any of the pumped high price slabbed gold.

Stick to tried and trusted bog standard gold sovs. easy to buy, easy to sell, and the only thing that will affect the price is the gold spot price. 

A little diversification is always good, it doesnt have to be a huge portion of a stack but a few here and there are good to have.

Some coins like Gold Oriental Borders  are nice coins, have some premium but will likely hold their premium,  if not increase slightly should they stop issuing new ones each year.

Then there are (shameless plug sorry!) Gold Bars which have less premium than most coins giving you more gold for your money. (Though sometimes harder to sell on).

Cant go wrong with sovereigns though for sure. 

You can pick up some good gold coins/bars here via the forum. Prices can be cheaper then the listed price dealers have on their site. 

£3k is a nice budget to have on Au. Sovs are ideal for buying close to spot and also selling when the time comes. (Easier to liquidate a sovereign) 

I was doing more or less exactly the same thing as you when I started stacking last year by buying bullion sovereigns and 1/4oz gold coins. What I’ve been doing this year is buying 1oz gold bullion coins of which I own two already. You get more bang for your buck with 1oz gold coins than fractionals because of their lower premiums. I think you should now diversify to two 1oz gold bullion coins with your three grand. However, it’s always best to consult with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) before making any important investment decisions.

5 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I was doing more or less exactly the same thing as you when I started stacking last year by buying bullion sovereigns and 1/4oz gold coins. What I’ve been doing this year is buying 1oz gold bullion coins of which I own two already. You get more bang for your buck with 1oz gold coins than fractionals because of their lower premiums. I think you should now diversify to two 1oz gold bullion coins with your three grand. However, it’s always best to consult with an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) before making any important investment decisions.

I started with full sovereigns after doing a lot of reading up on how to start out , I noticed with sovereigns the market for buying and  selling is good on places like Ebay,  that's why so far I have just been investing in sovereigns only , The 1oz gold Britannia stands out to me and I would love just to hold one , my worry is how easy are they to sell on,  they don't seem to be flooding the Ebay market as much .

1 hour ago, darrol said:

I started with full sovereigns after doing a lot of reading up on how to start out , I noticed with sovereigns the market for buying and  selling is good on places like Ebay,  that's why so far I have just been investing in sovereigns only , The 1oz gold Britannia stands out to me and I would love just to hold one , my worry is how easy are they to sell on,  they don't seem to be flooding the Ebay market as much .

I think it’s always best to start out stacking/collecting sovereigns and/or 1/4oz gold coins before making the quantum leap to 1oz gold coins. You’ve reached the point where you can make that leap because you’ve already built up a substantial sovereign stack/collection. The reason why you don’t see 1oz gold Britannias flooding the market is because 1oz gold coins are generally bought and held for long-term investments. In the short-term you’ll see more people trading sovereigns or fractionals. The 1oz gold coin is basically your nest egg.

13 hours ago, Serendipity said:

If gold increases by 1000% in a few years, as our resident investment graph guru Vand claims, then you have to ask yourself, who is going to buy a £10k plus gold 1 oz coin. The only people who could afford to pay such amounts on a single item, would be dealers / refiners. And knowing this, they would naturally take advantage and offer lower rates for purchasing these coins.

On the other hand, fractionals, such as sovereigns and smaller, (from £3k and below, according to Vand) would still be within the range of your average buyer. (this would be where the 1/10th, 1/20th and even the 1/40th, would become the equivalent of todays 1oz, 1 Sovereign, and half sovereign in the price range.

Now this is all hypothetical, and a 1000% increase would be a nice problem to have, but maximising your exit strategy is paramount, and the smaller the coin, the easier it will be to sell.  

13 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

If gold increases by 1000% in a few years, as our resident investment graph guru Vand claims, then you have to ask yourself, who is going to buy a £10k plus gold 1 oz coin. The only people who could afford to pay such amounts on a single item, would be dealers / refiners. And knowing this, they would naturally take advantage and offer lower rates for purchasing these coins.

So say 995%?  Not really a problem is it.  

Archived