• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Time to sell 1oz queens beasts: lion, dragon, griffin?

universalcurrency

Having evaluated my stack and looking at why I am stacking, I am considering liquidating some of the best growth items.  The early bu queens beasts (lion, dragon & griffin) have all done well in 1oz.

Therefore is now the time to lock in the premiums and reinvest in lower value coins?

For example the dragon is listed on bullionbypost for £1405 & griffin for £2059.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/gold-queens-beast/

The griffin seems highly optimistic imho.

What are your thoughts, time to flip or hold for further growth?

Wish i khew lol. I only have a1oz lion. But would be happy with that price bullion by post are asking. I have all the 1/4 bullion ones graded ms69 so far and have 2 more 1/4 lion.s. even the 2oz silver qb.s are doing well. I often think about selling mine but cant help thinking be good to have the whole set. 

I think those figures will seem very low when the queens beasts collection gets towards the end of its run. I would not be surprised if all four of the first 1oz gold beasts demand a price of well over £2000 each 😲 

3 hours ago, universalcurrency said:

For example the dragon is listed on bullionbypost for £1405 & griffin for £2059.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/gold-queens-beast/

Have you sold any gold bullion coins before? The prices you are quoting are the prices which BullionByPost sell their Queen’s Beasts, but at what price do they buy them back? BullionByPost will buy both your Queen’s Beasts for £2,146.94 at their current bullion value.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/sell-to-us/sell-gold-coins/1oz-royal-mint-lunarbeast-gold-coin/

48 minutes ago, universalcurrency said:

I only have the 1oz Dragon which is my personal favourite, and would be a shame to sell.  However the current retail price is a 40% gain in less than 2 years.  As Midasfrog says there could be further gains when the collection draws to an end.

Same here do love the dragon 

If you are happy with the gains in theory you should lock them in. In theory ;)

I bought the 1 oz coins as a means to collect low premium but interesting bullion. Based on experience stacking only sovereigns or only brits has less success for my savings than 'collecting' various low premium bullion, I used to often buy odd low premium coins so QB were ideal for keeping things orderly, an ounce every 6 months or so. The trouble as you say is the premiums are so high now I am often thinking about this conundrum as well. There is quite a lot of extra gold locked away in those premiums now.

I have the set in 1 oz silver proof and I have the set in 1 oz gold, so its not a 'collect the design' issue for me, it seems to have become a 'finish what I started' issue which is bad, irrational. I would like to collect the entire set before I let them go, which is also irrational. If I was sensible I would sell the lot and buy sovereigns, cashing in on a few extra sovs from the gains in premium. Why can't I just do that? :P

While the race to the finishing line continues premiums will continue to rise as soon as the first few have gone over the line and received their completer Medals the market will be flooded with 1oz bullion beasts (maybe) 😉

19 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

Bullionbypost asks over £1,000 for a 1/4 gold Bull proof, boxed. That's more than double the original Mint price...

Well spotted! Pardon the pun! I bought nine 2018 silver Pandas from Chards because BullionByPost’s 2018 Pandas are more expensive than anywhere else. Why is that?

4 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Well spotted! Pardon the pun! I bought nine 2018 silver Pandas from Chards because BullionByPost’s 2018 Pandas are more expensive than anywhere else. Why is that?

I don't know....but I've also seen other strange things, like them charging £380 for a 2019 proof half sovereign, when they are still available at the Mint for £240... I called them once about it, they said they would look into it but never fixed the price.

Could be a shrewd move to capitalise on the qb premiums thus far, then buy lower valued coins of the same weight. Hopefully leaving with you with some extra dosh afterwards.

On the other hand price of gold and the premiums on the qb series can still have room to increase.

Totally agree about the dragons I don't have the gold versions but the dragon is my personal favourite so far. 

A very hard call, but those are the best in the series by far imvho and it's still pretty 'hot'. I'm thinking of moving on my MS69 Lion and Griffin and PF69 Dragon and buying some bullion, but it's a tough one to judge.

14 hours ago, KDave said:

If I was sensible I would sell the lot and buy sovereigns, cashing in on a few extra sovs from the gains in premium. Why can't I just do that? :P

So do it. As soon as you do, you'll feel better about it. And while looking at that growing stack of sovereigns you'll be glad you did, and that you don't have to worry about it anymore. :)

38 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

So do it. As soon as you do, you'll feel better about it. And while looking at that growing stack of sovereigns you'll be glad you did, and that you don't have to worry about it anymore. :)

Bang on your so right. But i khow how hard it is to just make the move lol

17 hours ago, KDave said:

If you are happy with the gains in theory you should lock them in. In theory ;)

I bought the 1 oz coins as a means to collect low premium but interesting bullion. Based on experience stacking only sovereigns or only brits has less success for my savings than 'collecting' various low premium bullion, I used to often buy odd low premium coins so QB were ideal for keeping things orderly, an ounce every 6 months or so. The trouble as you say is the premiums are so high now I am often thinking about this conundrum as well. There is quite a lot of extra gold locked away in those premiums now.

I have the set in 1 oz silver proof and I have the set in 1 oz gold, so its not a 'collect the design' issue for me, it seems to have become a 'finish what I started' issue which is bad, irrational. I would like to collect the entire set before I let them go, which is also irrational. If I was sensible I would sell the lot and buy sovereigns, cashing in on a few extra sovs from the gains in premium. Why can't I just do that? :P

Same problem which shares, antiques, alternative investments etc emotional attachment, talking from personal experience.

Sell and buy sovs then go back to buying monthly rather than saving to buy 1 oz coins? 

It would be better agreed, but I have a condition now, human condition to collect. Do I use it to stack low premium queens beasts on release or chase sov heads, date runs and mint sets? Which is better :P

7 hours ago, Goldmick said:

Bang on your so right. But i khow how hard it is to just make the move lol

I understand, it's easier to say it than do it. You'll make the right decision, no doubt. 👍

Archived