• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Where to buy silver in UK but payable through PayPal?

CatStudent

Happy New Year stackers!

For diferent reasons I prefer pay silver boughts through PayPal. I use to order to different EU sellers (most of them Germans), but although I have looked for I've not found bullion e-stores inside UK that accept PayPal?

Anybody knows any?

I don't know any dealer who offer pay pal.

Because Paypal just protect buyer not seller. But on ebay you can buy silver but be careful that you don't get scammed .

Arshimo2012 (UK) i would recommend i bought from him and paid per paypal and he is one of Sponsor

Because Paypal just protect buyer not seller. But on ebay you can buy silver but be careful that you don't get scammed . Arshimo2012 (UK) i wouldrecommend i bought from him and paid per paypal and he is one of Sponsor

Correct, Arshi is your man.

Stacker since 2013

Sellers don't take PayPal for bullion 99 out of 100 due to the chargeback implications.

As switched on savvy 'dodgy' buyer knows he can end up getting the silver/gold AND his cash back with the right couple of clicks and associated lies, the the automated process and sheep-like customer service are all to willing to let it happen again again and again and again and again and again and again since the late 1990s 

TRULY AWFUL, GOD AWFUL COMPANY TO USE AS A SELLER,

Are power seller ? top rated ? paying £1000s a month in eBay fees ?  100% feedback?  proven established seller?  trusted ?  maybe in fact all of the above

eBay/PayPal will side with the Nigerian based, zero feedback, under 30 day new user each and every time

Now there is no competition whatsoever they have the vast majority of the online payments market place now, don't offer Paypal you cant sell on eBay, don't offer Paypal you don't get bidders, get the wrong sort of bidder you loose your goods and your cash and still have pay eBay for the privilege. ggrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh rant over :(

Sellers don't take PayPal for bullion 99 out of 100 due to the chargeback implications.

As switched on savvy 'dodgy' buyer knows he can end up getting the silver/gold AND his cash back with the right couple of clicks and associated lies, the the automated process and sheep-like customer service are all to willing to let it happen again again and again and again and again and again and again since the late 1990s 

TRULY AWFUL, GOD AWFUL COMPANY TO USE AS A SELLER,

Are power seller ? top rated ? paying £1000s a month in eBay fees ?  100% feedback?  proven established seller?  trusted ?  maybe in fact all of the above

eBay/PayPal will side with the Nigerian based, zero feedback, under 30 day new user each and every time

Very,very true.paypal is a scammers dream.

Now there is no competition whatsoever they have the vast majority of the online payments market place now, don't offer Paypal you cant sell on eBay, don't offer Paypal you don't get bidders, get the wrong sort of bidder you loose your goods and your cash and still have pay eBay for the privilege. ggrrrhhhhhhhhhhhh rant over :(

Not cheap options buthttp://darlingtoncoins.co.ukhttp://finesilvercoins.co.uk

I've not used the second one so I can't review them. I'd be concerned that their most recent coins are 2013. Maybe they aren't active.

Thanks very much HH, I didn't know these shops, they are not the kind of shop (for the price) where to buy coins by tubes, but sure that I could buy some premiums for my collection. :)

Arshimo2012 (UK) i would recommend i bought from him and paid per paypal and he is one of Sponsor

Thanks K, I have browse his threads and it looks that he had good prices for single premiums, so it seems that It will nit be easy to find a UK provider to buy coins by tubes that accept PayPal, now I understand why you also use a lot of german shops.

Because Paypal just protect buyer not seller. But on ebay you can buy silver but be careful that you don't get scammed .

VERY,VERY TRUE,PAYPAL IS A SCAMMERS DREAM.

Well, this thread was not intended to argue about PayPal, but I think that your opinions are too strong.

It's true that a customer can scam a seller by returning an empty box and claiming a refund, but also a seller can scam a buyer by sending an empty box.

Two additional facts: 1) I have received, as seller, literally tens of thousands of payments through PayPal, my fraud ratio is less than 0.1%, and 2) when I made a order of silver/coin I "sign" a binding agrement with the seller, if later I asked a refund to PayPal the seller still could sue to me for not made the payment.

So, your opinions just confirm that in UK PayPal has a lot worst reputation, specially by sellers, than it has in the EU, specially from German sellers, it's intriguing... :)

I'd be interested to know just how many times that scammers have managed to pull a fast one on sellers on Ebay. 

Just wondering if it's the usual internet in overdrive where things are made out to be worse than they actually are. After all, the same could happen with any retailer offering paypal, not just ebay sellers.

I think the reason there are few bullion sellers in the UK offering paypal is more to do with transaction charges rather than being worried about fraud. Paypal is more expensive than many merchant card service providers in the UK.. Plus it's not just paypal that sides with buyers, you'll find that Mastercard and Visa credit cards also offer a similar protection for people who use their cards.

I'd be interested to know just how many times that scammers have managed to pull a fast one on sellers on Ebay.

Just wondering if it's the usual internet in overdrive where things are made out to be worse than they actually are. After all, the same could happen with any retailer offering paypal, not just ebay sellers.

I think the reason there are few bullion sellers in the UK offering paypal is more to do with transaction charges rather than being worried about fraud. Paypal is more expensive than many merchant card service providers in the UK.. Plus it's not just paypal that sides with buyers, you'll find that Mastercard and Visa credit cards also offer a similar protection for people who use their cards.

I agree with most of that HT.

I have sold a lot on eBay and never had one issue.

Stacker since 2013

I also agree with you, but the solution to paypal fees is just to increase the price, all the eshops I bought from charged an additional 2.5-4% to the store price when I choose PP payment. And interestingly, One of the shops suggested upper in the thread had a "discount" of 3% if you don't pay through Paypal, probably for legal (or commercial) reasons is better a discount than an additional fee.

A last reason, the old/typical profile if PM buyer us not used to PayPal and no ask for it, so not having PP not hurts the business.

Paypal is more expensive than many merchant card service providers in the UK.. Plus it's not just paypal that sides with buyers, you'll find that Mastercard and Visa credit cards also offer a similar protection for people who use their cards.

Pay Pal isn't that much more expensive for high volume merchants.  It's only the little guys who pay much higher fees.

Visa and MasterCard do have protection in place for buyers but the problem for merchants is not dishonest buyers but actually fraudulent transactions.  A decent gateway provider will check that house number and postcode matches the card holder and flag any issues for the merchant to address.

Pay Pal is completely different.  Even if they have checks in place to verify addresses against cardholders it doesn't address the problem of hacked accounts after everything is verified.  This happens far too often with phishing emails and spyware.  Once you have access to a Pay Pal account you can buy goods from anywhere and have them sent to any address.  I've not looked into how the addressing works but i have not seen an "unconfirmed" address for many many years.  Once I had a buyer over several weeks buy things and have them sent to the same address.  Not only were the eBay IDs all different, the Pay Pal email addresses were also different as well 3 different names on the Pay Pal account.  So we have 3 different eBay ID and email addresses, 3 different Pay Pal email addresses and owner names yet they were all going to a single address under another different name and the address was CONFIRMED.  I was covered under the seller protection so didn't lose out but how can Pay Pal allow such a thing.  That's why it's unsecure and given the choice, I would not use them.  I believe Seller Protection has a ceiling limit on claims as well.

In case anyone was wondering, when the second sale came though which I thought was suspicious I contacted the buyer by email and them phone.  He gave a plausible explanation but it didn't sit right but I was protected so sent the item anyway.  When purchase 3 came through I alerted eBay and refunded payment and didn't go through with the sale.  A few days later that account became "no longer registered" and one of the other accounts started to receive positive feedback with negative comments (Go eBay and their stupid system of no negative buyer feedbacks).  A few days later that account became "no longer registered."

I don't know why so many of you mix PayPal with eBay, I know that they are the same company, but some if the "scams" you talk about are related to the ebay policies, not PayPal ones.

I also don't understand why do you hope that PayPal solve criminal issues, if a buyer makes a fraudulent of PayPal and charge back the payment, you have an unpayment from a buyer with a known address and probably a name, just go the police or to the lawyer.

In any case you are just expressing opinions and guesses, I still mantain the fact that my PayPal charge back ratio is less than 0.1%, if any seller had a PAyPal account and had real fraud issues I will take it in account.

Although you have a chargeback rate of less than 0.1%, through a normal payment system it would be less.

Using a legit credit card number with CCV code but a non-matching address and a processing gateway can pick-up the anomaly.  Try phoning Atkinsons and placing a manual order.  Once they input the address numbers their system will tell them the address does not match.

My fraudulent sales were through eBay but payment was through Pay Pal.  How on earth could they send payments from three different accounts but all to the same so called "confirmed address".  If it were secure, it shouldn't be possible.  Whenever I take a payment through Pay Pal I take it on good faith that the account and payment is legit as I have no way of checking (there are ways but it costs both time and money and the data is not in real time and will omit people who are not listed).

Civil recovery is not as easy as contacting the police or a lawyer.  Generally, the police are powerless and don't care.  Lawyers cost money and then it has to end up in a court but you are assuming that they have used a real name and address and that they have actually signed-for the parcel and you can prove all this.  There are stupid criminals out there but anyone with half a brain would use a disposable or temporary address.  You can't use a disposable address through traditional card processing (if address check is used since it's optional) but you can use one with Pay Pal.

I started in the mail order business 22 years ago.  I've only ever had a handful of chargebacks from credit cards but I know that they were legitimate cards with the goods being sent to the actual card holder.  With Pay Pal, I have no idea if it's a hacked account or stolen card and whether it's actually the card holders address.

If you can make a fraudulent purchase through normal card processing, you can do it much easier through Pay Pal.

Thanks for the info. I can't understand why do you consider a fraud rate of 0.1% not low enough. It may be true that other payment gateways has a lower rate, but this is irrelevant to opt in/out for PayPal, you can have both. The economic point is easier, if PP fraud rate is 1%, you just must increase the fees with this percent to cover the fraud loss, it should be just a logical/rationale decission to increase income to the business. It seems that German shops are more rational than British shops... ;-)

Anyway, I stop arguing about/against PayPal, I opened the thread to ask information about UK shop that accept PayPal, thanks to who answered helpfully to this question.

Thanks for the info. I can't understand why do you consider a fraud rate of 0.1% not low enough. 

Actually in the business world, with regards to physical retailers in the high street, a theft / shoplifting  figure of 0.1% is the holy grail.

Most retailers work to achieve less than 2% shrinkage rates. Shrinkage is a word to describe a retailers losses and includes theft, waste (items spoiled or out of date, or damaged goods.

This is where online retailers have an advantage, in that there is far less losses than a high street retailer.  

Archived