• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Seeking a 1977 sovereign

AndyC44

Is there anywhere I can buy a specific year sovereign? My friend's birthday is soon, and I'd like to buy him one from his birth year, I think that would be a nice touch. I don't trust Ebay, but I can't think anywhere else one could be sought out. Year is 1977.

Edit: edited to a more specific thread title.

Edit: I'm in the UK.

Why were there none made by the Royal Mint that year? I'm curious. I might have to rethink this then.

The US seems to have good coin sellers on Ebay, anyone ever bought from the US, is there going to be a sting in the tail from customs, I wonder. I'm still hesitant with Ebay, somewhat.

Cheers for the suggestions. Got to rethink this one, maybe one of the suggested alternative 1977 coins. Budget is under £300 (sovereign price) so I need to do more looking around!

19 minutes ago, AndyC44 said:

Cheers for the suggestions. Got to rethink this one, maybe one of the suggested alternative 1977 coins. Budget is under £300 (sovereign price) so I need to do more looking around!

Thing is, as soon as you don't need a 1977 Sovereign sized coin, a dozen of them will turn up at once.

Give Hatton Garden Metals a call in the morning- they have 3x South Africa 2 Rand coins in stock- at the price you wish to pay- ask what dates they have- its a very long shot- but who knows, you might strike it lucky and it won't cost you much to ask- in my experience, the staff there are very nice and obliging  https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/south-africa-gold-two-rand

22 minutes ago, AndyC44 said:

I've decided it was a nice idea, but the alternatives for that year are rarer and out of budget, so I'm just getting a nice coin, non-1977.

Great idea- Lots of choice- I'm sure you'll find something interesting- nice gift.    

I also collect coins from 1977. The sovs do crop up now and again, but they are usually in a proof set unless someone is breaking one up. There are a few other nice coins, as already mentioned the 1 and 2 rand coins are a nice alternative or a p.new guinea 100kino but that may be a little over budget at prob around 350ish for a proof version. Otherwise with the year being the jubilee year there are a few other alternatives and plenty of non gold coins you can pick up. I can post some pics of example coins I have if it would help?

@terakris Thanks, but that's not necessary.

I've bought an Austrian 8 florin 20 franc coin from Hatton's. So it's sorted. I know I could have gone with a Jubilee year silver coin, but that's not gold.

Archived