• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Tungsten gold coins. Fake gold coins

Byronvan

Hi there I'm new to collecting gold coins and have recently bought a goldlock scanner which is amazing and can test for tungsten in gold coins. However I'm not sure how to detect for a tungsten coin that's just gold plated.  

The question i would like to ask is this.  Would a tungsten coin react similar to a genuiene silver coin when tested with a rare earth magnet? Since tungsten is also slightly magnetic?

I'm just trying to find other ways of making sure things I buy are real gold. 

Thanks in advance. 

Byron

Buy from reputable dealers and Forum members and you should be fine.
Never heard of a tungsten coin because I assume it would be too difficult to press hard tungsten to replicate a coin.
Tungsten rods inside bars or thick gold plated tungsten bars is another matter and buying from unknown sources could be a risk.
I am not sure you can use magnets or any other tests other than to drill through.
If your drill bit cannot make a hole then it's tungsten inside.

• 2 weeks later...

I take it this is one of those things that uses ferrofluid or a magnetic field viewing lens along with a magnet?  Have you tested it with different materials to see how they react or what they look like?

Do you think you'd be able to tell a plated coin from a solid one?

Tungsten is paramagnetic, so it is attracted by a permanent magnet, while gold is diamagnetic and is repelled. I would also expect a gold plated forgery to fail the ping test. The sound made when a coin is balanced on the end of your finger and gently tapped with a metal object is distinctive. There are apps such as Bullion Test that can help with this test.

Yes, we all know the usual tests, size, appearance, sound, density etc, but the op has obviously bought one of those 'testers' with a magnetic lens or  ferrofluid sandwiched between layers of plastic with a spacer for the coin.  A magnet is also supplied so you can see how the coin reacts to the magnetic field from this magnet.

I wanted to know how well this worked in practice.

• 3 months later...
11 hours ago, celticbhoy said:

If a crook has managed to forge a tungsten coin and then gold plated it to appear authentic then i,m afraid the old ping test could be fruitless, afaik tungsten has a very similar density to gold so it should ping the same especially under a thin gold plating.

I'd be surprised if the wavelength of sound produced was entirely dependent on it's density. You can notice a difference in ping tone between real and fake silver or gold coins even though made of exactly the same alloy.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived