• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is there a way to tell if a coin is a full sovereign vs a half from a picture?

NorthEast

Hey Guys - 

I am seeing a good deal on ebay but not sure if its a full sov or a half. I asked the seller he doesn't seem to know. So is there anyway I can tell from a photo? Here are the pics of the auction. Thanks Guys!

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

11 minutes ago, NorthEast said:

Hey Guys - 

I am seeing a good deal on ebay but not sure if its a full sov or a half. I asked the seller he doesn't seem to know. So is there anyway I can tell from a photo? Here are the pics of the auction. Thanks Guys!

What Price is it?  That'll be a clue.

I asked him to weigh it and waiting back for a response… Thanks!

Added 0 minutes later...
Just now, richatthecroft said:

What Price is it?  That'll be a clue.

Auction style but at $344 certainly seems like it should be a full sov..

2 minutes ago, NorthEast said:

I asked him to weigh it and waiting back for a response… Thanks!

Added 0 minutes later...

Auction style but at $344 certainly seems like it should be a full sov..

Looks like a Sovereign to me, and priced as such.

43 minutes ago, NorthEast said:

Hey Guys - 

Capture1.JPG

The 1893 half sovereign does not have the letters "B.P." after the date, so this must be a full sovereign.

You cannot tell from a picture and unless you have familiarity, or preferably a full sovereign and a half sovereign in your hand at the same time, it is very difficult to tell for someone who cannot weight it accurately or measure the diameter. Ask the seller to carefully measure the diameter - should be simple enough. A full sovereign needs to be 22mm whereas a half sovereign is 19.3mm. A difference of 2.7mm ( 1/10th inch ).

1 minute ago, Zhorro said:

The 1893 half sovereign does not have the letters "B.P." after the date, so this must be a full sovereign.

Thanks so much for that information! I did not know that and feel much better about bidding on this. HUGE HELP!!! 

As already mentioned the initials BP are on this coin. i can see full sovereigns with this but i cannot find half sovereigns with these initials. This favours the coin being a full sovereign.

Recently i bought a couple of 20 Mark German gold coins - the eagle eye of @augur spotted that the rim of one of them was wider than others he had and had found elsewhere - so i am a bit keen on the rim of coins at the moment.

It occurred to me that the rim of a half and full sovereign would be the same or thereabouts so the rim would look proportionately bigger on a half. So i tested this theory by eye.

One of the coins is an 1893 half and the other is an 1893 full sovereign. You decide - i know.

download (13).jpg

download (12).jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Another way to tell a half from a full is to count the notches backwards, then multiply by the width of the horse in mm, divide by Pi then subtract the light refraction when in a total eclipse.

As a formula...

v = v0 + at
s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)
 = ½(v + v0)

Ok the half sovereign is the upper coin and the full sovereign the lower coin. 

By my eye of the 1896 half and full sovereigns i have looked at, the rim is relatively fatter in the half than the full.

So on the basis of the coin presented which has a more slender rim and the BP by the coin date -  in my opinion the coin being offered is a full sovereign.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

22 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

Another way to tell a half from a full is to count the notches backwards, then multiply by the width of the horse in mm, divide by Pi then subtract the light refraction when in a total eclipse.

As a formula...

v = v0 + at
s = s0 + v0t + ½at2
v2 = v02 + 2a(s − s0)
 = ½(v + v0)

These strike me as formulae for velocity, speed and acceleration - you can't pull the wool over our eyes at the silver forum.

8 minutes ago, sixgun said:

These strike me as formulae for velocity, speed and acceleration - you can't pull the wool over our eyes at the silver forum.

I hope people dont take it as serious 😁

4 hours ago, NorthEast said:

Capture.JPG

I don't particularly like the mole on the neck. This is a good indicator that this is a copy plus a few other details if you scrutinise the coin. 

Added 0 minutes later...

And yes, it's a full sovereign 

14 hours ago, Murph said:

Looks like she has an adam's apple!

There was a rumor Elizabeth I was a man.  There was also a rumour Queen Vic was a man when all the time i thought it was a pub. 

1 hour ago, sixgun said:

There was a rumor Elizabeth I was a man.

I think there's actually quite a lot of circumstantial evidence for this, or so my wife was telling me. She does take quite a bit of interest in Tudor history.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Midasfrog said:

Don't worry about the size 😃 the most important thing to worry about is don't bid on a fake Sovereign there is a high percentage of fake Sovereigns on Fakebay 😲

Ill have it friday and test with the sigma and let you guys know. 👍

Archived