• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying antique 18ct and 22ct gold rings? Gold is gold.

Foster88

Hi all,

With the recent surge in the gold price and like many of you I’m wondering when it will stop rising. 

Ive started to buy antique gold rings, the plain bands which sadly many seem to be antique wedding rings, mostly 22ct gold and a few 18ct gold. 

I know they’re not as nice to look at as a new sovereign or a new Krugerrand but with sovereigns slightly out of reach of my budget at the moment being £275+ each, I seem to be able to buy antique rings for around spot price. 

If the gold price does continue to grow it could be a wise investment. 

Gold is gold after all. 

15 minutes ago, Foster88 said:

Hi all,

With the recent surge in the gold price and like many of you I’m wondering when it will stop rising. 

Ive started to buy antique gold rings, the plain bands which sadly many seem to be antique wedding rings, mostly 22ct gold and a few 18ct gold. 

I know they’re not as nice to look at as a new sovereign or a new Krugerrand but with sovereigns slightly out of reach of my budget at the moment being £275+ each, I seem to be able to buy antique rings for around spot price. 

If the gold price does continue to grow it could be a wise investment. 

Gold is gold after all. 

I buy scrap gold too - and when it goes up, swap it for coins. Its not a bad strategy - this week I shifted 100gms of 9ct at 10% more than it cost me to acquire it when spot was lower. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, Murph said:

It's just a pity a lot of dealers charge way over spot for jewelry.  Maybe you're lucky and have found a pawn shop that doesn't charge too much?

I use jewelers to buy scrap from then cherry pick what can be sellable, I also use jewelers to consign things that are way too good and you can get massive returns on them...you just have to spend time hunting for good finds, pawn brokers I find are the least reliable source for good stuff, they want almost retail for some stuff...and pay the least for scrap.

Id say to stash fiat or have cash them do the tour of jewelers asking for scrap, some will sell to you as they don't get too great a deal from the scrap man who comes around every week, if you are just buying to transfer fiat to gold then as long as they test the stuff you can buy anything in 9k, 10k, 14, 18, etc and hold onto that sucker for the big ride...buying items for like 20 quid to gradually add up, that's how I got hundreds of grams of mostly 14k and a few grand of consigned stuff out there

On 25/06/2019 at 00:17, Murph said:

It's just a pity a lot of dealers charge way over spot for jewelry.  Maybe you're lucky and have found a pawn shop that doesn't charge too much?

I’ve just be buying wisely. Local auction houses and even eBay, you’ve got to do you work with eBay and find auctions that others aren’t bidding on. They are there, you’ve just got to look for them under spot price. Here’s hoping the gold price keeps rising. 😬

Archived