• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK first £100 for £100 silver coin... Big Ben 2015 (seriously?)

daniel.yrh

HT I always thought anything highlighted in green was a sold price, if you click on the £750 one it does say 'one sold' though it does seem pretty excessive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=%C2%A3100+silver+coin+big+ben&LH_Complete=1&rt=nc

feck me you are right.

it looks like someone made an offer of £650 for one. Off their heads i think

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBidsLogin&item=251775534685&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2564

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how a few originally hostile attitudes towards this coin are now changing.

I've been thinking about why people don't like it. 

Maybe it's to do with silver stackers in general not trusting fiat; the coin is a cross over between the two

Silver stackers see the value of silver in the oz, £10 of silver being sold for £100, outrageous inflated price! but that's the face value on it so..

I think it smacks home the message from the people in power "money is what we say it is and it's worth whatever we say it's worth" and the fact they can make it up as they go along

I suppose as well the difference between charging £100 for this or the 2014 proof Britannia is, you look at the Britannia as a little piece of art and a collectible, where this is more being sold as "it's worth £100 so.. buy it" 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Agree with you Kman. I bought 5x£20 coins for my Kids and nephews for Chimbo. However they are only 0.5 of an oz of silver and hmg can print/strike whatever they like, so they made a tidy profit here, like wise with Big Ben.

People,even on this forum have encouraged the benefits of premium bonds. My old dear bought £26 worth in 1956 (£20+£5+£1per) she was working as lab assistant and this was around 3 weeks hard earned money for her at the time. No dividend was payed out and she cashed then in for a poultry £26 in 1995. Premium bonds ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Agree with you Kman. I bought 5x£20 coins for my Kids and nephews for Chimbo. However they are only 0.5 of an oz of silver and hmg can print/strike whatever they like, so they made a tidy profit here, like wise with Big Ben.

People,even on this forum have encouraged the benefits of premium bonds. My old dear bought £26 worth in 1956 (£20+£5+£1per) she was working as lab assistant and this was around 3 weeks hard earned money for her at the time. No dividend was payed out and she cashed then in for a poultry £26 in 1995. Premium bonds ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT

If she had just kept that £26 in some nice silver shillings dated about 10 years earlier, she'd have 520 of them, worth in todays silver prices a grand total of £477.86

Even in 1995 they would have been worth £163.70. 

Like you say, PB are not a great investment..............would have had more leaving it as cash  . 

Premium bonds ARE NOT A GOOD INVESTMENT

Im not sure I agree with that.

I'm not sure if they are a good sole investment, but I think they have a part to play in a sound overall investment strategy.

You can't lose money on them (save for inflation), unlike shares / silver / gold which could bomb.

I see it as a very safe way to store money, and also a free lottery. You play every week but still get your money back.

I have had 2000 bonds for 2 years and won one £25 prize, so not so good really. But my initial investment is still there safe.

Stacker since 2013

Im not sure I agree with that.

I'm not sure if they are a good sole investment, but I think they have a part to play in a sound overall investment strategy.

You can't lose money on them (save for inflation), unlike shares / silver / gold which could bomb.

I see it as a very safe way to store money, and also a free lottery. You play every week but still get your money back.

I have had 2000 bonds for 2 years and won one £25 prize, so not so good really. But my initial investment is still there safe.

I think that unless you have enough wins to cover even inflation then PB's are a very poor "investment",

Take Stu's example. £26 in 1956 is equivalent to £595 today after inflation. Ok so, you've still got your £26, but that £26 was worth £595. 

Your £25 prize is equivalent to £12.50 a year on your £2000. which is 0.625%. With inflation running at between 1.5% and 3%  in the last few years then your money may be safe in actual pounds but they are worth less than you bought them. 

I've been thinking about why people don't like it. 

Maybe it's to do with silver stackers in general not trusting fiat; the coin is a cross over between the two

Silver stackers see the value of silver in the oz, £10 of silver being sold for £100, outrageous inflated price! but that's the face value on it so..

Why some people don't like it,I do like it had have said so from day one but I am a collector not a stacker.

Stackers  get far too hung up about buying everything for spot plus a couple of quid.If you buy a nice proof and can buy it for a reasonable/fair price you will most often get your money back or a profit if you have to sell.

The same applies to the rarer or unusual Bu coins the Big Ben coin falls in relative terms to both the latter comments.It is unusual as it is a 2ozer the 1st British coin in recent times and has a £100 face value and at a mintage of 50,000 is relatively low compared to bullion issued by other mints.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

I think that unless you have enough wins to cover even inflation then PB's are a very poor "investment",

Take Stu's example. £26 in 1956 is equivalent to £595 today after inflation. Ok so, you've still got your £26, but that £26 was worth £595.

Your £25 prize is equivalent to £12.50 a year on your £2000. which is 0.625%. With inflation running at between 1.5% and 3% in the last few years then your money may be safe in actual pounds but they are worth less than you bought them.

Agreed, but all is personal, so other people will be way over inflation.

Did Stu's mom have a chance of winning £1m or other prizes every week? Yes.

You can't argue that it is one of the few investments that you are guaranteed to get your money back? I bet there were many, many people wishing they had bought PB's rather than shares during the GFC.

I'm also sure there are a few people on here (early silver investors at around £30/oz) that wished they bought PB's instead.

As I said, only as part of a diversified portfolio. Having one portion of the investment that cannot go to zero sounds sensible to me.

Anyway, let's not derail this thread further, start a PB thread if you wish to.

Stacker since 2013

IMO premium bonds are just a store of wealth.Not all your eggs in one basket sort of thing.

Well they certainly sold out at the mint quickly, very surprising.

Actually it hasn't sold out, but this seller is cashing in by saying that it has.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=171626913852

Currently over £140 including postage.

I see they've sold out of the first batch,  now estimated delivery's mid Feb from the mint.  

What is the best way to keep this coin safe

In capsule or leave it how it is?

I personally like to leave it in the packaging but other's like to put them in capsules, though it may be tough trying to find a capsule that fits.

I say leave it be.

I'd leave it how it is K unless you can get a capsule that fits it, the problem there will be the thickness of the coin.It is pressed between a plastic insert in the OP so I wouldn't worry about it.

I personally like to leave it in the packaging but other's like to put them in capsules, though it may be tough trying to find a capsule that fits.

I say leave it be.

I'd leave it how it is K unless you can get a capsule that fits it, the problem there will be the thickness of the coin.It is pressed between a plastic insert in the OP so I wouldn't worry about it.

Iam waiting for my Coin to arrive i think it will be here soon i ordered it last year.

I will keep it then how it is 

£100 face value is ridiculous - that's the same as a 1oz gold Britannia. Call it OCD but that doesn't sit very well with me.

Undecided on this! I see that it's somewhat unique, low mintage, start of a aeries etc. But the mixing of the reasons bothers me: like Silversword, it irks me that there is some parity between a £100 silver coin and an £820 gold Britannia both having the same face value. Makes you think that the mints should just do away with the face values and play the coins based on their intrinsic metal value and design, thus appealing to both stackers and collectors! Like Sovs or Libertads.....which happen to be my current favs.

Makes you think that the mints should just do away with the face values and play the coins based on their intrinsic metal value and design, thus appealing to both stackers and collectors! Like Sovs or Libertads.....which happen to be my current favs.

Although Sov's don't have the face value stamped on them. They do have a legal tender amount of £1. 

Thanks guys! HT ...I must have had a brain-freeze over breakfast, thanks for the correction on the sov  £1 value...of course!

MB - yup - thats exactly the type of face-value craziness that bothers me...but thanks for sharing. Still undecided..

Undecided on this! I see that it's somewhat unique, low mintage, start of a aeries etc. But the mixing of the reasons bothers me: like Silversword, it irks me that there is some parity between a £100 silver coin and an £820 gold Britannia both having the same face value. Makes you think that the mints should just do away with the face values and play the coins based on their intrinsic metal value and design, thus appealing to both stackers and collectors! Like Sovs or Libertads.....which happen to be my current favs.

I can't really see any problem with this other mints do exactly the same thing,no one in their right mind would value a face value £100  silver coin or a Scottish £100 promissory note the same as a £100 1oz gold coin.

Here is an Australian example 1 oz Gold  $100 kangaroo,  0.6 oz Silver $10 eagle, scrap value of gold coin without spiltting hairs £800 scrap value of silver coin £5 so  10 x  $10 = $100

P1000466_zps44a43888.jpg

What tickles me is we put so much faith in paper.

Lindeman if you are wondering I've deleted my other post and tried to put up a similar example Gold coin  V  Silver but I don't have a gold Britannia but you get the idea

Archived