• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

UK first £100 for £100 silver coin... Big Ben 2015 (seriously?)

daniel.yrh

Source: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Big_Ben_2015_UK_100_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin

Ok this is getting crazy. In 2013 they come out with £20 for £20 for a 1oz fine silver coin, then they did it again in 2014.

And when spot drops they probably think... hey, why not make it bigger and charge more? 

... and they even cut down the mintage from 250,000 for the £20 for £20 to only 50,000 for this £100 for £100!

and TADA! £100 for 2oz if silver! Please tell me you guys are not buying this crap.

p/s: click on the link to view the coin image, this forum does not allow attachment of aspx file. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh you beat me to it  :ph34r:

you can be the first one to own one, I'm definitely not getting this. All the while I thought proof Britannias are expensive, but now this £100 has took over the throne.

£100, 50,000 mintage, bullion quality, no presentation box cheap cardboard packaging.  -_-  -_-  -_- 

As a self confessed buy it as cheap as i can stacker not collector i will nail my pirate flag to the mast in defense of the coin.

It has a face value of £100, So as i understand it this will always be worth £100 regardless of spot it can only go up as a collectible numismatic ,surely its a win win.Plus i like it. 

Source: http://www.royalmint.com/shop/Big_Ben_2015_UK_100_pound_Fine_Silver_Coin

Ok this is getting crazy. In 2013 they come out with £20 for £20 for a 1oz fine silver coin, then they did it again in 2014.

No the real crazy thing is the £20 for £20 coin was for a HALF oz silver coin, not a full 1 oz.    And people were still buying it.  

No the real crazy thing is the £20 for £20 coin was for a HALF oz silver coin, not a full 1 oz.    And people were still buying it.  

you are right, I totally forgotten the £20 for £20 are 1/2oz. 

So... 1/2oz for £20...

that means 1oz = £40

2oz = £80 but Royal Mint charging £100 for the Big Ben

you get 2oz of silver (4x 1/2oz) for £80 if you buy the £20 for £20, who wants to buy the Big Ben for £100 (also the same 2oz)?

looks like £20 is more "value for money"?  :lol:  :lol: 

I personally don't see a problem with this, I can either have £100 sitting in the bank in digital form or add another 2oz to my stack, 2oz's that I can turn back to £100 whenever I like, plus in the mean time this thing may end up having some semi numi value,   

Just for the record I'll be getting one. 

I personally don't see a problem with this, I can either have £100 sitting in the bank in digital form or add another 2oz to my stack, 2oz's that I can turn back to £100 whenever I like, plus in the mean time this thing may end up having some semi numi value,   

Just for the record I'll be getting one. 

probably only works in UK, in other parts of the world they are only worth melt + some small premiums. 

I quite like it & I'll  buy one for a few reasons, if you are desperate for cash its face value is £100,it is a 2oz coin my favourite coin size and I've paid way over £100 for  a lot of my 2ozers so £50 per ounce doesn't worry me :lol:

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Update I've just bought one free postage as well. They are in stock now and according to RMs website will be delivered in 3 days, a bit better than the proof Britannia fiasco.

Its not really a case of paying off for me SP I like the 2ozers and if RM bring one out every year I'll buy one because I like them. The bonus is the £100 face value & actually I do think it will do reasonably well in the collectors market but I'm not really bothered if it doesn't.

If I knew these could be spent without question anywhere I would stock up on them, but the strong chance is they wont be able to. With the £20 for £20 there was trouble spending I believe, with eventually major retailer Tescos saying they would accept them. But they are smallish coins not so dissimilar to a £2 in size.

But try exchanging a 2 oz coin for 100 quid in notes,apart from a bank or a post office I doubt you can and even those two are debatable.

Totally agree, will never be worth more than its face value.

And I don't even like the design! lol

FTR the £20 is half an ounce, which is still better value. £100 buys 5 of those which is 2.5 ounces! :P

The collector in me wants this coin as with the "First and only" £20 coin - but the "only" part of that equation didn't last long did it? I wonder for how long this will be the First and Only £100 coin?

Not tying up a ton on this one. It was worth it with the £20, but for £100!!

Well thats mine ordered free postage, its worth 100 pound i think it will be the first of a series cant lose. and at worst i can have a laugh at my corner shop then take it to the bank to cash in

I ordered mine early on this morning & have tried to see if this coin is available Worldwide or UK only but have been unable to get back onto Royal Mints website as it has been down all day and still is as far as i can see.What browser are you using.

Archived