• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2001 silver Britannia

Danny-boy

Since when have people started paying £68 for 2001 Britannias?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131377925134

Makes me glad I have a few of these.

I don't really get it, it's not the lowest mintage, and it's not the nicest design of the Britannias.

Tip, if you want to sell a britannia then take pics and write adverts like this guy.

Stacker since 2013

I was wondering today what makes one coin more desirable than another, is it the the design? the mintage? the year? the availability? Sometimes the price of a coin doesn't represent the fundamentals, I've seen certain coins especially a Britannia swing one way and then another in price, seems it's all about timing and not always spot price.

Someone i used to work with would be logged onto four computers at work on a nightshift bidding up his goods.

He always advertised "Two available", so if he was unlucky buying his own goods then there was always another readily available.

"Must be worth the money if the first sold at that price, should put a bid on for it" ;)

I'm using eBay mobile so wasn't aware it was anonymous bidding.

Shill bidding is always a risk I suppose, but you don't need many to sell at those prices to make a tidy sum I'd imagine.

I don't trust those prices, which is why I posted the thread. Never seen Brits go for so much in the past, not BU anyway.

Stacker since 2013

For the record.......

1998 - 88,909

1999 - 69,394

2000 - 81,301

2001 - 44,816

2002 - 36,543

2003 - 73,271

2004 - 57,000

2005 - 57,000

2006 - 50,300

2007 - 94,000

2008 - 100,000

2009 - 100,000

2010 - 129,086

2011 – 269,282

2012 – 361, 870

Stacker since 2013

Danny do you have a source/reference to the mintage figures you published?

2010: 126,367 (http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/2010-dated-uk-collector-coin-sales)

Yes, it was an email from the Director of the Royal Mint Museum, who is heading up a full audit of RM mintages for bullion and proof coins.

I, and a number of other britannia collectors, have been given the same numbers. I also spoke to him on the phone and he said they are currently going through proof mintages.

Stacker since 2013

i don't think Royal Mint lunars will take off... they will very likely end up like RCM lunars.

I beg to differ Daniel. I think they will do quite well.

Of course, nobody knows yet, so you are just as likely to be right as I am.

Only time will tell.

Stacker since 2013

I beg to differ Daniel. I think they will do quite well.

Of course, nobody knows yet, so you are just as likely to be right as I am.

Only time will tell.

Have to agree with Danny here, looking at the prices for the horses there is already a decent premium, and the proof horse is selling on ebay for about £120+, a big mark up of 40% on the already high price of £85 that the RM sold it for in the first place.

Archived