• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Flea Bay bidding up of own goods

Stu66

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Xander said:

I don't like that eBay charge you a % to put a reserve on the item. the higher the item costs the more they charge. 

Monopoly manipulation, something they'd drop in a heartbeat if they had sufficient competition, the failings of protected monopolies.

I've been an eBay coin seller for over 21 years.  Although eBay has done a good job of reducing the shill bidders (and other fraudulent activities) over the years, but they still are not at "zero errors" yet.  There are still 2-3 coin sellers here in the US (that I know of) that rely on shills when they have an open auction with no reserve.  eBay's algorithms only look for similar IP addresses for shill bidders.  That worked 2-3-5 years ago, but no longer.  Over the last 2-ish years or so, eBay has concentrated on prohibiting buyers and sellers from communicating outside the eBay protocols.  Even the most innocent message can be rejected by eBay's bot with a stern warning.  Example:  "I'm happy to send you a higher resolution picture of the coin."  If you were buying a $5K coin, wouldn't you like a higher rez picture?

I liked a previous post:  bid to the level you want to buy the item, and no more.  We all know the #1 rule of any auction is to not get emotional and carried away.  Yeah right.  🙂  I bid on many items online (but rarely do I buy on eBay), and I pick my max bid, post it, and then check the next morning to see if I'm the winner or not.  If not, I move on to the next auction. 

50 minutes ago, CoinFinders said:

I've been an eBay coin seller for over 21 years.  Although eBay has done a good job of reducing the shill bidders (and other fraudulent activities) over the years, but they still are not at "zero errors" yet.  There are still 2-3 coin sellers here in the US (that I know of) that rely on shills when they have an open auction with no reserve.  eBay's algorithms only look for similar IP addresses for shill bidders.  That worked 2-3-5 years ago, but no longer.  Over the last 2-ish years or so, eBay has concentrated on prohibiting buyers and sellers from communicating outside the eBay protocols.  Even the most innocent message can be rejected by eBay's bot with a stern warning.  Example:  "I'm happy to send you a higher resolution picture of the coin."  If you were buying a $5K coin, wouldn't you like a higher rez picture?

I liked a previous post:  bid to the level you want to buy the item, and no more.  We all know the #1 rule of any auction is to not get emotional and carried away.  Yeah right.  🙂  I bid on many items online (but rarely do I buy on eBay), and I pick my max bid, post it, and then check the next morning to see if I'm the winner or not.  If not, I move on to the next auction. 

A professional is not the look and bid normal buyers of ebay, I also have years of experience and what I do isn't done by everyone..I have had junk sold to me and returned and had ebay settle the dispute by returning my money but also stopping me from leaving feedback for the seller to warn others who they might try and con next...why has ebay not added even minuses from buyers to help the next unfortunate?...you have to find the cons yourself..a shame really, perhaps one reason other places are gathering market share and ebay losing it, drip by drop.

4 minutes ago, Shinus73 said:

Surely the wisest approach is to simply entire the highest amount you’re willing to pay and then stop worrying about it. You either win it or you don’t, shill bidding or not.

Thats ok but I hadn't got to the point where I was willing to stop, until I got suspicious I was happy to keep bidding. It was only when I studied the bids that made me a little angry and I packed up.

3 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

One guy in the UK was famously convicted for shill bidding on eBay in 2010.  I don't remember hearing of any other convictions.  I don't know why they stopped at him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/10508913/man-fined-over-fake-ebay-auctions

I would send anyone you seriously suspect of shill bidding against you the link to that news article :P

17 hours ago, Xander said:

I don't like that eBay charge you a % to put a reserve on the item. the higher the item costs the more they charge. 

I don’t sell much on eBay but when I do, I put the starting bid as the lowest price I am prepared to sell at. So for a 10oz coin the starting bid may be £160...if it sells it sells, if it doesn’t I dont have reserve fees to pay for...not as attractive a proposition for buyers (starting from a higher base)  but you can’t  have it both ways I guess!.

11 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

I sell a lot on eBay, both business and personal and never use the auction format anymore.  Always Buy It Now with Best Offer switched on.

Does that not mean you have to accept best offer?

23 minutes ago, Xander said:

I don’t think so, as a buyer you get 3 offers within 24hrs. The seller can choose to accept or reject. So If you offer low 3 times and all rejected then you can’t make another offer for 24hrs

26 minutes ago, Xander said:

@Elements is correct as stated above. You are only obligated to sell if a buyer pays your full “Buy it now” price. You can reject any and all offers below your full price. 

I've literally had a crappy ebay experiance today. Bid and won on a couple coins today, I was the only bidder and the guy obviously wasent happy with the price my bid won on( even though he set the starting bid price) he then messaged me and said that the post office wouldn't deliver to me here in guernsey. ( also rubbish as guys on here send me stuff all the time. No different sending here than mainland UK) he then cancelled my order and that was that. 

Just a joke. Never had this lie told to me before 😕 luckily there are a lot of great sellers on ebay just a shame these idiots are left to sell. I have reported to ebay but as usual nothing will happen 

1 hour ago, Goldhooked said:

I sell a lot on eBay, both business and personal and never use the auction format anymore.  Always Buy It Now with Best Offer switched on.

Same and never have a problem... bidding is bs and I stay away from it. Both selling and buying..

1 hour ago, Jamesd said:

I've literally had a crappy ebay experiance today. Bid and won on a couple coins today, I was the only bidder and the guy obviously wasent happy with the price my bid won on( even though he set the starting bid price) he then messaged me and said that the post office wouldn't deliver to me here in guernsey. ( also rubbish as guys on here send me stuff all the time. No different sending here than mainland UK) he then cancelled my order and that was that. 

Just a joke. Never had this lie told to me before 😕 luckily there are a lot of great sellers on ebay just a shame these idiots are left to sell. I have reported to ebay but as usual nothing will happen 

they won't do anything but you will be able to leave negative feedback. as long as you can back up what you put down, you have a good chance of the feedback not being removed if he appeals.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, Xander said:

No, you can decline any best offer.  You can also set it up to automatically decline or accept under/over certain values.

I reckon about 90% of buyers pay full price without making me an offer.  I get a few cheeky low offers but most offers are sensible and I’m more likely to accept the longer an item has been for sale.

38 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

they won't do anything but you will be able to leave negative feedback. as long as you can back up what you put down, you have a good chance of the feedback not being removed if he appeals.

If you get your money back you can't leave feedback, I've tried several times.

21 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

If you get your money back you can't leave feedback, I've tried several times.

It must be a timing issue as I left negative feedback when a seller refused to send an item but I think I got it in before he refunded me?

20 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

It must be a timing issue as I left negative feedback when a seller refused to send an item but I think I got it in before he refunded me?

That might be the case but if it's been resolved then the seller should be able to gave the feedback removed.

Archived