• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Flea Bay bidding up of own goods

Stu66

I'm currently bidding on an item on FleaBay and checked the bidding history and noticed that a couple of the bidders have had all their bids to this same seller , obvious to me  it is him bidding his item up. This seller , I thought , is a reputable one … am I wrong or is he taking the p**s. Can I name him on here?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Stu66 said:

I'm currently bidding on an item on FleaBay and checked the bidding history and noticed that a couple of the bidders have had all their bids to this same seller , obvious to me  it is him bidding his item up. This seller , I thought , is a reputable one … am I wrong or is he taking the p**s. Can I name him on here?

I have had it done to me dozens of times by these scumbags, report it to ebay, I have gambled in the past and bid them up and then just stopped, only to be contacted as soon as the auction finished to be informed that one of the other bidders was a time waster, I just said, why dont you block them then, they obviously only bid on your items ;),  never got a reply lol.

Only bid what its worth to you and only go up to that amount in small increments, if you get outbid quickly then leave it to a minute or two before the end, if you lose and they offer you the item say only with a certain % off as they were shill bidding against you.

6 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I have had it done to me dozens of times by these scumbags, report it to ebay, I have gambled in the past and bid them up and then just stopped, only to be contacted as soon as the auction finished to be informed that one of the other bidders was a time waster, I just said, why dont you block them then, they obviously only bid on your items ;),  never got a reply lol.

Only bid what its worth to you and only go up to that amount in small increments, if you get outbid quickly then leave it to a minute or two before the end, if you lose and they offer you the item say only with a certain % off as they were shill bidding against you.

I normally see the private listing as self pumping...I hate the ones more when bidding is done to rob the seller, where they over bid to find the reserve then wait till the last second and bid $1 over the reserve to get the goods for less...reserves are to start the bidding process, not end it.

8 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

I had one car seller actually call me, somehow getting my phone number even though I lost the auction to offer me the vehicle for less then the closing bid but higher then I had led the bidding for until this other bidder drove the price up.

Looks like I will win the item , dont know , but I am happy with the price too.. ...Its the same scenario as ive had a couple of days ago … I bought a new car and both the dealer and I seemed happy with the deal which makes me feel uncomfortable as in that case I think I could have got more for mine... : )

1 minute ago, DarkChameleon said:

I normally see the private listing as self pumping...I hate the ones more when bidding is done to rob the seller, where they over bid to find the reserve then wait till the last second and bid $1 over the reserve to get the goods for less...reserves are to start the bidding process, not end it.

not sure what you mean with this.

a reserve is the lowest price a seller will accept. if there is only one bidder they will get the item for the reserve price full stop.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

a reserve is the lowest price a seller will accept. if there is only one bidder they will get the item for the reserve price full stop.

a reserve is the lowest buy bidding wars can rise things well over that, if someone bids a massive amount over the starting bid it shows the reserve is off and how much that is, then the bidder removes their bid sayjng it was in error but they now have the reserve amount and can wait to see if no bidders reached it and know that a last second bid of $1 over the reserve can win it...it's like when you place your home on the market at a lower price to induce a bidding war but the lower price isn't shown on fleabay,I have cancelled auctions because of these phantom bids meant to find the reserve of my items...I usually find when I let the auctions run their full course that the mystery bidder and the final bidder are from the same town...they don't think much.

8 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

if only one bidder bids at the last second and doesn't know the reserve they can bid under it and not have time to raise their bid to reach it...it's not knowing is what can motivate people to up bids against each other till they cross the reserve and then bid against each other to win...it's like the reserve at irl auctions, the auctioneer doesn't tell everyone the reserve , not just to be a git but to promote multiple people bidding.

a reserve is the lowest buy bidding wars can rise things well over that, if someone bids a massive amount over the starting bid it shows the reserve is off and how much that is, then the bidder removes their bid sayjng it was in error but they now have the reserve amount and can wait to see if no bidders reached it and know that a last second bid of $1 over the reserve can win it...it's like when you place your home on the market at a lower price to induce a bidding war but the lower price isn't shown on fleabay,I have cancelled auctions because of these phantom bids meant to find the reserve of my items...I usually find when I let the auctions run their full course that the mystery bidder and the final bidder are from the same town...they don't think much.

yes i know that rouse, but the scenario you mention doesn't have a bidding war as you are the only bidder willing to pay the reserve.

15 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Spot on. The way I look at it, eventually the item will reappear at a price I'm willing to pay. I'm in no rush 

if only one bidder bids at the last second and doesn't know the reserve they can bid under it and not have time to raise their bid to reach it...it's not knowing is what can motivate people to up bids against each other till they cross the reserve and then bid against each other to win...it's like the reserve at irl auctions, the auctioneer doesn't tell everyone the reserve , not just to be a git but to promote multiple people bidding.

if i'm interested in an item with a reserve, i will usually message the asking asking what it is. They almost always tell me.

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

yes i know that rouse, but the scenario you mention doesn't have a bidding war as you are the only bidder willing to pay the reserve.

What if you knew before an auction began what the reserve was for a car at barret jackson...then you  old watch the smaller bidders run each other out at half the reserve and instead of bidding it up and running out yourself at under reserve with no bidder to get you there..just wait till the last second and bidding the exact reserve...try getting Barret Jackson or any auctioneer to let you in on the next auction day...like seeing the picture cards at blackjack...nobody likes someone with insider knowledge on anything.

5 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

Then people should start the bidding at that price instead of a much lower one. Stop faffing about with bids starting at 99p

Then it kills off a lot of bidder who can get caught up in the competition of the auction...auction houses don't start off at the reserve and they don't end the bidding the second the reserve is reached.

Well I didn't win it , the 2***s guy won it  but that doesn't help me , he could have been unhappy with the price he was getting and bid up. ..or am I just too cynical... will be keeping an eye out for it relisted at a later date... it is slabbed so will keep the number.

3 minutes ago, DarkChameleon said:

What if you knew before an auction began what the reserve was for a car at barret jackson...then you  old watch the smaller bidders run each other out at half the reserve and instead of bidding it up and running out yourself at under reserve with no bidder to get you there..just wait till the last second and bidding the exact reserve...try getting Barret Jackson or any auctioneer to let you in on the next auction day...like seeing the picture cards at blackjack...nobody likes someone with insider knowledge on anything.

car auctions and ebay are two completely different animals

Then it kills off a lot of bidder who can get caught up in the competition of the auction...auction houses don't start off at the reserve and they don't end the bidding the second the reserve is reached.

yeah but ebay is not like an auction house. There is a time limit on ebay. Auction houses carry on until everyone stops bidding. On ebay, the time limit can actually stop an item from possibly reaching a higher price.

4 minutes ago, Stu66 said:

Well I didn't win it , the 2***s guy won it  but that doesn't help me , he could have been unhappy with the price he was getting and bid up. ..or am I just too cynical... will be keeping an eye out for it relisted at a later date... it is slabbed so will keep the number.

We see that all the time, check completed listing from that seller and you can see an item sold a few times but mysteriously never paid for, even though the bidders are not zero feedback,often having hundreds of feedback because they are a seperate account used for that very purpose but has to have feedback numbers so we don't see them stand out like a sore thumb...I will sometimes check a seller's completed items to see if the same item has sold multiple times before and still listed again which screams pump and dump selling.

5 minutes ago, HighlandTiger said:

yeah but ebay is not like an auction house. There is a time limit on ebay. Auction houses carry on until everyone stops bidding. On ebay, the time limit can actually stop an item from possibly reaching a higher price.

But ebay promotes itself as the online auction site because you have that ability, if you choose to set a price then you can do it but people like it for its ability to get people to bid against each other with a set time...as sellers we love it when that happens and we get more or much more then we envisioned before hand and the swings and roundabouts of paying too much when we buy at times.

Archived