• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silversmiths marks

steve6658

1 hour ago, steve6658 said:

Hi, I am a metal detectorist and recently dug up a silver tea/coffee spoon. I'm hoping that a learned member could i.d. the markings for me please.

Thanks for viewing.20190610_161551.thumb.jpg.abfbb4c69f8112fa10d7eb44c15abd52.jpg20190610_161551.thumb.jpg.abfbb4c69f8112fa10d7eb44c15abd52.jpg

20190610_154203.jpg

The TTA has nothing to do with hallmarks. But the lion does indicate sterling silver. The other mark is too rubbed out to say what date letter it is, but if I had to hazard a guess it's the London date letter "g" for 1862  There should be two other marks showing the makers mark and assay office. 

6 minutes ago, steve6658 said:

Hi Tiger, thanks for the imput, there are no other marks on the spoon. I think the TTA must relate to the owner. 

You are correct. But hey, at least you know it's real silver and as such has an intrinsic value. Nice find

I think this predates 1770s - no cursive year marks letters like these exist in the current database (1773 to current)

Also - as you can see the spoon end turns back - dates its to the 1750s ( I first thought it was Hanoverian - but they turn inwards) .

Added 0 minutes later...

The design was specifically called  Old English Pattern

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

7 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I think this predates 1770s - no cursive year marks letters like these exist in the current database (1773 to current)

Also - as you can see the spoon end turns back - dates its to the 1750s ( I first thought it was Hanoverian - but they turn inwards) .

1624, has a very similar g but not quite right.

Check here

http://www.silvercollection.it/ASCASMCKINLEYDATELETTERS.html

I'd bet on it being a makers mark.  Perhaps a GC.

Also from what I can see of the lion it looks like a late 1750s onwards to maybe near the end of the 1700s which would fit with the way the marks are made.

There's a George Camper in my big Jacksons under London 1751 but the surrounding lozenge shape doesn't match up.  Not that means the maker didn't use one like yours as well.

41 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Added 0 minutes later...

The design was specifically called  Old English Pattern

Yes and was popular up until the early 19th century but could still be found into the 20th occasionally.

29 minutes ago, Murph said:

I'd bet on it being a makers mark.  Perhaps a GC.

Also from what I can see of the lion it looks like a late 1750s onwards to maybe near the end of the 1700s which would fit with the way the marks are made.

There's a George Camper in my big Jacksons under London 1751 but the surrounding lozenge shape doesn't match up.  Not that means the maker didn't use one like yours as well.

Aye one other reason I dated it 1750s. I think the letter is a red herring as it wouldn’t be that big enough for it to be half worn. Most likely as you say a makers mark

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived