• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Gold Confiscation UK ?

scubajunky

Hi all,

Gold has been confiscated in the USA before but I don't think it ever has in the UK.

Could it happen in the UK if the global markets crash and financial carnage ensues, do you think they could confiscate your gold in the UK ? 

I'm a bit gutted I spent over 10k £ in one year on gold because I was asked to then provide my passport details to get my next coin.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm on the radar now, didn't realize there was a limit per year, ordered and paid for a coin then could not get it delivered until I sent my passport details. They said they would only ever share my details if HRMC specifically asked about me personally.

30 minutes ago, scubajunky said:

Hi all,

Gold has been confiscated in the USA before but I don't think it ever has in the UK.

Could it happen in the UK if the global markets crash and financial carnage ensues, do you think they could confiscate your gold in the UK ? 

I'm a bit gutted I spent over 10k £ in one year on gold because I was asked to then provide my passport details to get my next coin.

Kind of.  There was the 1966 Exchange Control Act during which individuals could only hold four gold coins.

There are some posts on here let me find them.............

55 minutes ago, scubajunky said:

Hi all,

It's the same with 10k Euros in the EU thus I think it's based on a EU law. It happend to me with one well known dealer in the UK that they told me "we could not verify your address, please provide a proof of a address or we can't send it." I told them they had a proof of my address as they had delivered to me before and they have two choices, sending me the order or refunding me and paying for me to buy elsewhere should the spot price rise. They sent it then.

That means they do background checks, address lists etc. All for your security of course. Unfortunately, my approach won't work in your case as it's based on a law they need to oblige to. Buy elsewhere.

Edit: Of course this law is in place only to tackle money laundering. It has nothing whatsover to do with our rulers being psychopathic control freaks.

2 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

Edit: Of course this law is in place only to tackle money laundering. It has nothing whatsover to do with our rulers being psychopathic control freaks.

I don't lose any sleep or suffer any paranoia about the state, but it is blatantly clear that the state have so much information on us- and if they choose to pursue us for any kind of unpaid tax so on and so forth- then they probably would know more about my financial position than I do!  

I remember a number of years ago my wife and I scrambled around and sold anything and everything we owned that wasn't nailed down on eBay to raise some capital to go toward a house purchase- my eBay account got blocked and to unblock it, I received some kind of declaration form asking for information surrounding the sales- in the name of money laundering- nosey controlling Bastards...

3 hours ago, HelpingHands said:

This is quite a shock to most of the UK stackers here - that following WWII there were controls on gold for decades. The controls in the 1960's were mocked in Parliament b/c there were virtually no cases of the restrictions being applied but it shows the UK criminal cabal have been willing to bring in their unlawful rules. i wonder if this forum is watched and who says what and puts what on the forum is being recorded. It doesn't affect me as i lost my job recently and had to sell off all my coins. It broke my heart but needs must when the Devil drives.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

2 hours ago, richatthecroft said:

my eBay account got blocked and to unblock it, I received some kind of declaration form asking for information surrounding the sales- in the name of money laundering- nosey controlling Bastards...

How is selling stuff on Ebay money laundering? Money laundering is laundering cash not second hand knick knacks. The more i know the more i know these internet monopolies are simply there to monitor what we think, say, buy, sell..... The internet has become a Gestopo karzi.  

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

How is selling stuff on Ebay money laundering? Money laundering is laundering cash not second hand knick knacks. The more i know the more i know these internet monopolies are simply there to monitor what we think, say, buy, sell..... The internet has become a Gestopo karzi.  

There are some interesting ways to do it

61F25812-AC73-4ECF-9AEB-B9463B74EC4C.png

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

7 hours ago, sixgun said:

This is quite a shock to most of the UK stackers here - [...] it shows the UK criminal cabal have been willing to bring in their unlawful rules. i wonder if this forum is watched and who says what and puts what on the forum is being recorded. It doesn't affect me as i lost my job recently and had to sell off all my coins. It broke my heart but needs must when the Devil drives.

A series of most unfortunate events. First your boating accident with your silver bars, then this. You won't believe it but something similar happened to me, too. All I'm left with is some worthless fiat money

8 hours ago, sixgun said:

There were visions of something like the internet in the 1950s - but with only one gigantic computer and everyone accessing it via an interface. Only one central sever of course makes 1984 real in that sense that whoever has control of his server can control the internet (and all records on it and therefore change events in the collective memory, at will). In the early days the internet wasn't like this, so this had to be remedied with CIA fronts like Fakebook and Google that were created to spy on everyone. I don't know about Ebay though. The "cloud" is clearly a further attempt to centralise the internet. It will fail though, it's just too doable to decentralise even the whole internet address system and also social media by replacing the existing platforms with social media that are based on the blockchain where thus information is stored on many different servers (the data of one of which can't be altered without the attempt showing up at all other servers) and thus can't be practically censored. Currently there are two such alternative social media in the making, Akasha Eterium and EOS/Voice, the latter one being a more developt version of Steem the existing content of which will continue to run as EOS/Voice.   ...Sorry for getting off the topic a tiny bit.

When gold was confiscated in the US rare or collectable coins were exempt.

This is why my guru Andy Gause (RIP Andy) recommended slabbed and graded numismatic coins rather than bullion.

52 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Well, that probably explains some of the prices I've seen for items on eBay...

Indeed - i have wondered why widgets and things are listed at $100 000. Richard must have been overestimating the value of his tat. @augur i am still suffering PTSD from that tragic boating accident - it was a burglary not a boating accident - my dog was half kicked to death and i was knocked unconscious.

2 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Indeed - i have wondered why widgets and things are listed at $100 000. Richard must have been overestimating the value of his tat. Good to hear Highland Tiger is busy laundering his cash on ebay. 

No wonder he complained that eBay was down 😂 

It happened in the UK in 1914 in order to fund the war effort. The public were asked to hand in their gold sovereigns.... and I believe they collected 100 million sovereigns, and also withdrew the sovereign from circulation. That was the end of circulation currency gold sovereigns... 

2 hours ago, goldmember44 said:

It happened in the UK in 1914 in order to fund the war effort. The public were asked to hand in their gold sovereigns.... and I believe they collected 100 million sovereigns, and also withdrew the sovereign from circulation. That was the end of circulation currency gold sovereigns... 

How "intelligent" can someone be to hand over money to the government deliberately?! Ending the gold standard was a very welcome side effect, of course.

Also today, in this case Germans can "donate" to make the national debt smaller and there are actually people doing this. 😑

15 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

How "intelligent" can someone be to hand over money to the government deliberately?! Ending the gold standard was a very welcome side effect, of course.

Also today, in this case Germans can "donate" to make the national debt smaller and there are actually people doing this. 😑

They were given treasury notes in the place of their gold. But still.. it just isn't the same. If it was, why did the government need the gold then to pay off their creditors and fund the war? 

May I ask, why do you think ending the gold standard was a good thing? :)

17 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

They were given treasury notes in the place of their gold. But still.. it just isn't the same. If it was, why did the government need the gold then to pay off their creditors and fund the war? 

May I ask, why do you think ending the gold standard was a good thing? :)

I don't think it was a good idea. It was welcome by the powers that be

Archived