• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Date error/mistrike half sovereign

Stu66

I've seen a half sovereign for sale which I think is 1893 but the 9 is completely missing, not great photos but you can see it's not there at all. Would this make it worth a lot more than normal.

Screenshot 2019-06-07 at 09.26.19.png

Whilst I cannot pass judgement on this coin (not enough clarity on the photo), my experience is that when asking for a clearer picture....

You get one and a polite reply when the coin is genuine or the seller thinks it is genuine

You get little back if there is an attempt to pass something off as genuine when it is not

Just my experience on eBay. 

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Sounds about right , I saw another half sovereign with a picture of it on scales and weighing 5g, I sent the seller a comment about it and not had any reply, his item is still the same with a few bids on it too. Should be able to tag fake items to warn buyers.

8 hours ago, Stu66 said:

I've seen a half sovereign for sale which I think is 1893 but the 9 is completely missing, not great photos but you can see it's not there at all. Would this make it worth a lot more than normal.

If it were genuine then yes. I have never seen nor heard of a die error that was missing part of the date. As these coins were legal tender and circulating coinage at least up until the early part of the 20th century, I would imagine such a coin would be illegal to own. They would have been spotted early on in production and the die pulled. In fact the faulty die would have been spotted and pulled in QC.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 minutes ago, silenceissilver said:

You clearly have never been to Australia, that's exactly the colour of the Big Yellow Perth Kangaroo.

If that s the case I will bid twice value and throw in an extra 30 % to be sure..

… you did say it was rare .. didn't you..

10 minutes ago, Stu66 said:

That's true , I thought roos were red

Urban legend

8 minutes ago, Stu66 said:

If that s the case I will bid twice value and throw in an extra 30 % to be sure..

… you did say it was rare .. didn't you..

It's so rare, there is not more than one. To be honest, there is a guy that has already bid more.

Archived