• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Provident metals

MikeG1978

It is hard to imagine there being a massive surge if they opened up shipping outside of Canada and the US. The shipping rates would bring up the per/oz cost massively then you'd get slapped with VAT upon import (at least in UK and possible other parts of Europe). Once you add up all the fees you'd have to pay it really wouldn't be an attractive option.

I really think there is a general misconception with regards to silver cost in the US vs EU. You can get cheap silver here - it isn't as elusive as people would have you believe. I've done a check numerous times seeing where I could get the cheapest tube of Silver 1oz Maples and between checking main US & Canadian dealers against Goldsilver.be and the European Mint. The European Mint consistently comes back as the cheapest. You will have to pay shipping - though joining the group order offsets this - but for just the silver cost they come out cheaper.

The big difference is there seems to be greater selection in the US and a lot of the bars that command a premium here don't there so I guess it comes down to what you want. The US  & Canadian dealears also offer free shipping above a certain threshold which the big EU silver dealers don't. If you just want to stack weight though it can be done here at similar cost.

40 minutes ago, MikeG1978 said:

True what if I go on holiday and bring it back 😎

I have successfully brought back a few ounces of PM from the US. Kept the receipts in my hand luggage incase required. But wasn’t stopped so have every confidence in doing it again. I guess if one is too greedy .... 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

And here is a comparison for you - as I needed a distraction from work this morning 😂. I compared the cost of three main 1oz coins - Silver Maple, Silver Eagle, Silver Britannia. I compared the cost for each coin if you bought just one or bought 25 (though you can get away with the lower cost on the ASE at 20 vs 25). The values I used are the cash/bank transfer values and I took each native currency and converted using xe.com. For the sake of the comparison I picked 2 US dealers, 2 Canadian dealers and the 2 popular EU dealers. As you can see the price for the silver only is cheaper at both the EU dealers than the US or Canadian ones. Free shipping offered by US dealers to US customers will make the grand total cheaper but that is only of benefit to US customers and again using the group order will bring UK shipping substantially down.

coins!.jpg

25 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

I compared the cost of three main 1oz coins - Silver Maple, Silver Eagle, Silver Britannia.

I always thought that the European Mint is very competitive with price of standard Silver government minted bullion but have had the opinion dealers in the US were were slightly cheaper. Thanks @AppleZippoandMetronome for carrying out the comparison. Factor in eBay bucks and flash promotional deals in the US and only buying at these times then US more competitive in price.

16 minutes ago, tallthinkev said:

Think I'm right in thinking that if you bring back Brittiania's you can get round any import tax. As there are from the UK and have a real face value. My well be wrong though.

Nope. They are still taxed

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

41 minutes ago, Abyss said:

I always thought that the European Mint is very competitive with price of standard Silver government minted bullion but have had the opinion dealers in the US were were slightly cheaper. Thanks @AppleZippoandMetronome for carrying out the comparison. Factor in eBay bucks and flash promotional deals in the US and only buying at these times then US more competitive in price.

The US definitely still has some advantages like those mentioned as well as spot price deals that seem to come up regularly from dealers there. That being said I have heard of new taxing in certain states though admit I don't know enough about that to comment further. I think it is good to compare common items though and when done you can see that we have access to silver at very competitive prices. Though of course for those of us in the UK this will only last as long as we are able to buy from the EU dealers without having to pay import fees. The UK dealers as we all know are completely uncompetitive for silver.

On the note of importing silver when flying to US - you can bring back silver coins/bars but they are counted as general goods and their value (actual value as in what they cost you vs face value) is counted towards your general goods allowance which is £390 at the time of writing. Bring back coins/bars worth in excess of £390 and you are liable to pay VAT on top.

There is no exemption for silver Britannias or any silver coins minted in the UK. If there were you wouldn't be charge VAT to buy those in the UK. They are counted the same as any other silver coin and you'll still pay VAT if you go over your allowance.

6 hours ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

And here is a comparison for you - as I needed a distraction from work this morning 😂. I compared the cost of three main 1oz coins - Silver Maple, Silver Eagle, Silver Britannia. I compared the cost for each coin if you bought just one or bought 25 (though you can get away with the lower cost on the ASE at 20 vs 25). The values I used are the cash/bank transfer values and I took each native currency and converted using xe.com. For the sake of the comparison I picked 2 US dealers, 2 Canadian dealers and the 2 popular EU dealers. As you can see the price for the silver only is cheaper at both the EU dealers than the US or Canadian ones. Free shipping offered by US dealers to US customers will make the grand total cheaper but that is only of benefit to US customers and again using the group order will bring UK shipping substantially down.

coins!.jpg

you can check live prices here https://findcoinonline.com/compare-prices

bulk prices also included as well as free shipping and payment options

8 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

Has anybody seen their prices so cheap

I was gutted to see USA and Canada are the only shipping addresses I reckon if they did overseas they would be inundated 

Silver.com and SD Bullion are the two lowest priced dealers in the US mate, and probably the world given their scale and the lack of a VAT/GST on silver in the US. They're significantly cheaper than Provident. Not sure about their international shipping.

Lately, Silver.com wins more often than SD Bullion as far as absolutely lowest price, but it's worth checking both.

I have an article up on getting the best prices. The specific prices from that article are of course no longer current, but the relative standing of various American dealers is fairly stable, so it's worth taking a look and at the spreadsheet that is linked in the article: https://medium.com/@ValidScience/pay-less-4b6482263c6e

BOLD Precious Metals, JM Bullion, and Gainesville Coins are also worth a look. BOLD and Gainesville are generally cheaper than Provident. It's a closer call with JM Bullion, but sometimes JMB has a good price. JMB owns Silver.com, so they're like Good Cop / Bad Cop, where Silver.com cements its place for the best prices and JM Bullion sells at slightly higher prices with more selection.

11 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Cross state sales tax seems to be on the increase as well. Does this apply to silver?

Depends on the state. Arizona is extremely enlightened on precious metals so I pay no sales tax.

Provident often has extremely good deals. Generally Bold and SDBullion will be cheaper on most items, but Provident often has sales that are much lower. I got some more 2 oz. Koala Piedforts for just 1.69 over spot. Monument Metals is also very good.

17 hours ago, MikeG1978 said:

Go for it. I recently visited Florida and brought back 40 oz. I got taken to the side by security and was asked if I had coins in my bag. A quick check of what I had and I was on my way. Paid an average of $1 over spot. Will definitely be buying again next time I'm in the States.

On 07/06/2019 at 04:10, MikeG1978 said:

Then your be trying to avoid taxes and not good...if someone brought it over for you then they'd be assisting you in avoiding taxes and duties...onky way around it is if you were american and bought something for gifts then your fine...but there's a limit to the amount if gifts value you can bring to a country before you get hit with taxes and duties at the airport, it's like cigarettes.

Archived