• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Forum advice please

Fathallazf

Hello all,

I am planning to buy half an ounce of gold, i am mainly interested in britannia’s because simply i like pure gold coins. 

I am struggling to make my mind between either (Five 1/10oz), (Two 1/14) or (One 1/2oz). 

I had the 1/4oz in the past and hence i know their size but i never seen the other two options in hand. I would like to have the 1/10 because they will look plenty in the box rather than just few in larger denominations. (Also I dont mind paying the premium for smaller coins). 

I would appreciate your thoughts and advice! 

I also would appreciate if someone can show me the size options beside each-other in their hand, just for me to imagine how small is the 1/10th and how big is the 1/2oz comparing to the 1/4oz 😊

Thanks! 

If you buy direct from RM then

5x 1/10 will cost £582.25

2x 1/4 will cost £561.28

1x 1/2 will cost £558.65

of course you can buy cheaper elsewhere  (Atkinsons, HGM etc)

a 1/10 is roughly the same size as a contact lens - very small and even in large quantities wouldn’t look like you have a lot of coins  

personally I would go with 1/4’s for that ‘treasure chest’ effect if that is what you are going for

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/half-gold-britannia - one in stock @ £541 + postage

For an idea of the relative sizes - a 4 coin set - 1oz, 1/2oz, 1/4oz 1/10oz

2004britannia4coingoldproofsetboxed400.j

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

11 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

2x 1/4 will cost £561.28

1x 1/2 will cost £558.65

a 1/10 is roughly the same size as a contact lens - very small and even in large quantities wouldn’t look like you have a lot of coins  

personally I would go with 1/4’s for that ‘treasure chest’ effect if that is what you are going for

I think you have changed my mind.. if its that small, i guess better go with the 1/4! And honestly i thought the premium wont be that high, i haven't even calculate it. 

Thank you for your reply 

@Fathallazf 

That can have its advantages - the advantage of sovereigns and half sovereigns - 

A full sovereign is 22mm - a UK penny is 20mm - hard to spot in a purse.

British one penny coin 2016 obverse.png 

download (2).jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

39 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

2x 1/4 will cost £561.28

1x 1/2 will cost £558.65

I call the 1/10's shirt buttons...that's a good comparison.

You know that a double sovereign isn't a half ounce of gold, if you want a half ounce then you need to get a set 1/2 ounce with .999 gold...if you want maximum weight age for your money then buy less pure gold, I buy jewelry at 14k, 18k, etc...if you want a coin then go full sovereigns or even half sovereigns for more coins...you can also make a selection of countries coinage in gold with a smaller size and purity, people will buy 90% pure gold in old coins...I've never seen them left alone in the counter at coin shops for long.

If you are investing to get as much gold for the lowest premium then I would go for the 1/2 oz as it has a lower premium compared to the other fractional sizes. Alternatively, continue to save and go for a 1oz which will have yet lower premium and has a real weight feel.

when it comes to sell, 1/4oz or sovereigns are a lot easier to sell.    had a member back along, he could have sold sovs times over but the 1/2 brits stayed for ages.   someone will tag his if they can remember.     unless you are looking at pandas or pre 33 gold they can sell quickly.

I can only think of these reasons to buy a 1/10 ounce bullion coin of gold: To have a complete set, to use it as money during an economic collapse or if you can't afford more and it would take you a very long time to buy a full ounce. You want to have more than one piece and if you buy 1 ounce in two years it arguably takes too long till you have a few and it also ruins price-averaging, if you buy bigger pieces.

1 hour ago, silenceissilver said:

I can only think of these reasons to buy a 1/10 ounce bullion coin of gold: To have a complete set, to use it as money during an economic collapse or if you can't afford more and it would take you a very long time to buy a full ounce. You want to have more than one piece and if you buy 1 ounce in two years it arguably takes too long till you have a few and it also ruins price-averaging, if you buy bigger pieces.

I buy 1/10th every month. Not saying how many, but I know i can sell them easily and quickly.  I still can make a profit on them. More than i can with anything else.  

Thank you all for your advice and comments! I will buy two quarters as most recommended. Yet i will also get one 1/10th just to see its size comparing to the 1/4. If i didnt like it, i will sell it for spot in the forum (just kidding 😁

6 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Personally I prefer 1/10s. But then I like 1/20 and 1/25s too lol. They also retain premiums better than larger coins. 

Some of my micros: 1/10 Kruger, Dos Pesos, 1/25 Commemorative series 

AF027337-2660-4B61-A562-F11B4E4DCF19.jpeg

4A0D405D-B3C5-4903-9066-9065CD7971D2.jpeg

EE4C732B-C403-4C67-9F13-A0BEA1642CC0.jpeg

Lovely coins! Looks nice in bulk 😅 i really dont know why i dont just collect cheap stuff like many people.. but ya, i cant change it, i love gold and i think if it was cheap, i wont be interested in it anymore 😂

20 hours ago, silenceissilver said:

I can think of another reason to buy a 1/10th of gold. You find it for sale at around spot price, and snap it up. I have several 1/10ths in my stack. I purchased a 1/10th IOM angel this week for only 1% over spot delivered. If you find a bargain, it doesn't matter what size it is.   

10 hours ago, HighlandTiger said:

I can think of another reason to buy a 1/10th of gold. You find it for sale at around spot price, and snap it up. I have several 1/10ths in my stack. I purchased a 1/10th IOM angel this week for only 1% over spot delivered. If you find a bargain, it doesn't matter what size it is.   

True, didn't think of that reason

Archived