• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Confused at people's issue with buying direct from mint

aggiyama

I have been collecting for a year now, I have received some really great advice from this forum. I am still buying fractional gold which works for me alongside 1oz silver coins in differing designs for pure interest. I have followed the guidance of forum members and recently bought a half sovereign to see if I like them. I still prefer the britannias but now I have my first sovereign piece I will of course be buying at least one every year from now on! I have also followed advice to try for larger fractions to decrease premiums; I now have a 1/4 Britannia to add to my 1/10ths and hope to cautiously step up to a 1/2 next year before deciding whether full ounces work for me. all of that is to say I have really listened to what the forum has to say.

however...

I am still buying direct from the royal mint because although I am continually told they are more expensive it just does not seem that way to me. when delivery is factored in (mint is free delivery) and you add in the bonus of quality coin capsules and even great reusable packaging, it seems to me that the mint is actually cheaper unless you are buying very high worth purchases. am I calculating wrong? plus isn't the peace of mind of knowing it is not fake worth something in its own right? any thoughts?

i find the forum members a great source of information and advice but it does not influence what i buy ,what one member likes and collects another does not. so i say buy what you like and enjoy .

You can buy new 1/10, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 oz good Britts and Sovereigns from Atkinsons for example often at a £20+ lower price than the RM. packaging is just as good. Capsule just as good. Safety just as good. Just as reliable as the RM and can save yourself a few bob along the way. 

When you buy next time, take a little look at Atkinsons, and others, for comparison. All safe. 

And of course, buying from the RM is all ok - just a tad more expensive. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

It is perhaps easier to understand the buying via retail, distributor, wholesale. Each group will be buying the same product but different starting perspective on price value.

Hmm can you let me know about the reusable packaging you get from the mint is it that good?

I appreciate your concerns about  the risk factor but it has been a while since I have purchased precious metals from a dealer. My source of Pms for the past 9 months had been theSilverforum and I have managed to benefit from great prices as well as building up a reputation. During the process I have come across some really good peeps here on the forum which is also a plus point. 

I only buy from goldsilver.be  now, even with the postage after roughly 5 coins it's cheaper then uk, especially the RM. I do multiple purchases and get them sent for one postage cost.

Royal Mint Bullion does occasionally have cheaper prices for certain coins than the likes of Atkinsons.  The most recent case in point from my perspective was the 1/4 oz Gold Lunar Monkeys that they were selling in March to May (now sold out).  I  bought one for £256 in March.  

But most of the time Atkinsons are cheaper, and Bullion By Post are usually cheaper too (but generally a little more expensive than Atkinsons).  I have found the service from both these companies to be excellent, and I prefer to deal with them than with RMB - I really don't like their web ordering process and I also prefer UK deliveries by Royal Mail rather than a third party courier (RMB use DHL I think, for most of their gold sales).

For silver if you prefer to buy from the UK and are 'happy' to suffer the VAT, I have found SilverStan and Silver-Trader to be most competitive (usually better than Atkinsons) if you just want the odd small piece or two.  I don't buy enough physical silver to worry too much about the price - the stuff I do buy is to keep for pleasure.

Archived