• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Queen Victoria Celebration Sovereign Strike-On-Day

goldmember44

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I set my alarm in order to get up in time to get into the cue of the Royal Mint (I live in the U.S.) but to no avail. I knew it would sell out fast and apparently it did. Now the coin's price will instantly shoot up to 1000 pounds or more. I love these special sovereigns but they are difficult to collect as well as expensive.

It's a bit  annoying because I ordered one, it went through but confirmation emails just say subject to availability so God knows when they're going to tell us if we actually got one or not 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

29 minutes ago, Kman said:

It's a bit  annoying because I ordered one, it went through but confirmation emails just say subject to availability so God knows when they're going to tell us if we actually got one or not 

Your order will show as "closed" and if you're lucky you'll get an email saying "dispatched".

or if they cancel it, the order will just disappear.😜

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Your order will show as "closed" and if you're lucky you'll get an email saying "dispatched".

I could be wrong but I think it said 2-3 weeks for dispatch, so is it just fingers crossed until then?

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

24 minutes ago, Kman said:

I could be wrong but I think it said 2-3 weeks for dispatch, so is it just fingers crossed until then?

Dispatch mid / late June 

they rang me yesterday  and told me this on the phone 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

39 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

If they cancel it the order can stay open forever until one day u ring up .... bad news

Every day my order remains ‘open’ I’ll live in hope that it’ll be fulfilled- however, I’m not going to hold my breath! 

Having said this, each time orders I have made in the past for popular releases have been successful- my order of the 50 Years of the 50p Silver Proof Set remained ‘Open’ for several weeks after the January release and I didn’t receive the dispatched notice until late March.  

On 25/05/2019 at 02:46, Kman said:

The same thing happened to me with the 2018 sapphire coronation sovereign; I ordered it, it went through and everything then about several hours later I get an e-mail from the RM informing me that it was oversold and they had to cancel my order. Very frustrating.

12 minutes ago, Cornishfarmer said:

I tried the other sapphire  sotd on eBay for £700 and no interest at all so if these go up they should come back in time

What one was that, the 2017 jubilee or 2018 coronation?

if I remember right they had a couple 2017 SOTD that were exactly the same minus the cert, so they just doubled the maximum mintage

The 2018 had the crown? But so did all the proofs so I don't think it stood out too well 

The 2017 SOTD garter plain edge is still doing very well 

This having a plain edge, matte finish and vic cypher I think will keep it very desirable 

It would have been even better and really stood out had they not introduced the other matte one this year but can't have it all 

35 minutes ago, Kman said:

if I remember right they had a couple 2017 SOTD that were exactly the same minus the cert, so they just doubled the maximum mintage

The 2018 had the crown? But so did all the proofs so I don't think it stood out too well

Yes the Sapphire Jubilee and the Platinum Wedding in 2017, though some were graded as varieties either before the second one came out or afterwards if submitted in unopened mint packaging. I wonder if some small difference was also later found to tell them apart, I think I vaguely remember hearing, but may be imagining it.

The 2018 had the crown privy yes so makes a 'set' for me with the proofs and piedfort, the plain edge being the difference.

This one is an absolutely unique thing unto itself, will be fascinating to see how it does! I also wonder what the next matt will be now it's clearly a thing at the mint!

21 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Yes the Sapphire Jubilee and the Platinum Wedding in 2017, though some were graded as varieties either before the second one came out or afterwards if submitted in unopened mint packaging. I wonder if some small difference was also later found to tell them apart, I think I vaguely remember hearing, but may be imagining it.

The 2018 had the crown privy yes so makes a 'set' for me with the proofs and piedfort, the plain edge being the difference.

This one is an absolutely unique thing unto itself, will be fascinating to see how it does! I also wonder what the next matt will be now it's clearly a thing at the mint!

Something to do with the edge milling

Yeah... and there are 7 offered in a listing at £1,249 each. 

There should be little doubt that the price would settle at over £1,000 for this coin eventually... there are not that many available for the secondary market. Sure, there is a handful of flippers who will try their luck, but with this coin I think we have the situation where demand outstrips supply. A mintage of 650 is absolutely tiny for a special sovereign, even in 2019. If it was a Britannia, then sure... but for a sovereign it will have an appreciated resale value. Especially since collectors seem to like everything to do with Queen Victoria.

I'm trying to think when I should put mine up for sale, and for how much. I do need the money myself to plug a few gaps, unfortunately. Otherwise it would have been nice to hold on to.

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

Yeah... and there are 7 offered in a listing at £1,249 each. 

There should be little doubt that the price would settle at over £1,000 for this coin eventually... there are not that many available for the secondary market. Sure, there is a handful of flippers who will try their luck, but with this coin I think we have the situation where demand outstrips supply. A mintage of 650 is absolutely tiny for a special sovereign, even in 2019. If it was a Britannia, then sure... but for a sovereign it will have an appreciated resale value. Especially since collectors seem to like everything to do with Queen Victoria.

I'm trying to think when I should put mine up for sale, and for how much. I do need the money myself to plug a few gaps, unfortunately. Otherwise it would have been nice to hold on to.

There are already a few private trade sold at 1100 pounds and one at 1150 and demand is still there . I sold one of mine yesterday so let’s see how another one goes 

2 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

There are already a few private trade sold at 1100 pounds and one at 1150 and demand is still there . I sold one of mine yesterday so let’s see how another one goes 

Ah, you managed then to get more than one, lucky man :)

Just now, goldmember44 said:

Ah, you managed then to get more than one, lucky man :)

Lucky get two 

but I have a feeling I am selling way too early ..... 

For me this one is a quick flip whilst collectors who missed out seek to gain one, then interest will go down (like the Pistrucci SotD - still doing good things but nothing like it was originally).

In 20-30 years who knows?

I'd sell now for that kind of money or be prepared to sit on these for a good few years (as I am doing with the Sapphire Coronation SotD etc). You pays yer money and takes yer choice!

Archived