• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Which Royal Mint £2 and 50p cupro-nickel coins have "potential"?

I've been collecting the RM silver Christmas coins for the last few years, and have recently started wondering which of the special edition/anniversary BU £2 or 50p coins issued by the Mint might be worth picking up with an eye to tucking them away as longer term investments.

The coins that I am thinking of are usually offered at £10, in a carded presentation pack; whilst on the face of it, they might not seem to offer much potential for future capital growth, you need only look at some of the prices achieved that the fabled Kew Gardens 50p on eBay! Some of the ones in their original card and Royal Mint sealed polythene packaging have gone for between £180-£200+

The question is, which other ones might be worth picking up and tucking away for a few years? The RAF collection strikes me as one possible candidate, as do The Armistice and D-Day £2 coins.

Your thoughts please, ladies and gentlemen.......

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread

The main reason for the kew BUNC price is hype but also demand due to mintage. According to https://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-coins/circulation-coin-mintage-figures/2009-dated-uk-collector-coin-sales/ i would say there were 179,000 gold, silver, proof, bunc etc and then 210,000 in circulation. Also i'm thinking in that time, there was no change checker carded BUNC coins.

So which ones for the future? I'm thinking the coins that dont go into circulation like the Gruffalo and Snowman 50p. Maybe the Austen and Aviation £2 coins and the RAF ones too. But until mintages are released, we wont have any idea really. Also the fact that cheaper blue carded BUNC versions are available for all of these might affect future appreciation?

Well, I've taken the (not-too-expensive) plunge into the unknown and have started collecting a few of the commemorative coins issued over the last few years, mainly with a military theme (The Armistice, RAF Centenary, D-Day 75th Anniversary, etc.).

I've opted for the BUNC coins in the special Royal Mint sealed packs, as opposed to the ChangeChecker blue-carded versions - hopefully the more aesthetically-pleasing packs will be reflected by better value growth in the years to come (or not! I'm dabbling in an area of collecting that I really know nothing about!). Some of the artwork on these presentation card packs is really quite beautiful, and definitely adds to the enjoyment of collecting a series (similar to collecting cigarette cards was in days gone by).

Looking back at what prices have done over the last few years, @h103efa may well be right about the WW1 Aviation coin, and I'm going to start a bit of research on the Jane Austen coin(s)

What I can say so far is that I'm having a lot of fun looking into the various series and finding a few bargains on eBay and elsewhere - and I'll keep you posted as to how things progress as my little collection grows :)

Well, three more £2 commemorative coins arrived in the post this morning - the newly-released second coin in the Captain Cook series, the D-Day 75th Anniversary coin, and "Shoulder to Shoulder" (focusing on the role of the Army in the Great War) marking the 100th Anniversary of World War One.

And I have to say that I'm absolutely thrilled with them, especially the presentation cards that the coins are in - as mentioned in my post above, the artwork on each card is simply superb and really does add an extra dimension to collecting these BUNC coins (in fact, I probably wouldn't be nearly as enthusiastic if I was just collecting the coins on their own!)

I know that I'm not going to make any money with these BUNC coins (unless I'm very fortunate with one or two of them!), but that's not really the point for me now - I'm really just collecting them for the sheer pleasure they give me (and at around £11-£14 each, it's a great deal of pleasure for very little outlay :))

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Due to the fact that mintage figures are not released until after the event, it's very difficult to predict which coins could potentially prove profitable.

Almost guaranteed to increase in value are any coins that are minted to order. Once in a while RM will advertise coins and will only mint the amount that are actually pre-ordered by the public. The 'Blue Peter' Olympic 50p was one of them, at the time they were the sold for £2.50 (i sold one recently for £120).

Over the last couple of years the only coins i'm aware of that were minted to order for a very limited time were the 2018 & 2019 Queens Beasts Lion of England cupro-nickle £5. Issued at £13 and i have seen for sale at £35+ (not bad for a coin less than a week old).

Archived