• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RM Yale proof flaw

Hello

I have received this QB Yale proof 1/4 oz . Seems good except these flaws shown on the picture.  I need your advice if this is acceptable or not for you. The flaw on the inner rim can be seen with naked eyes

Thank you

Yale Proof.jpg

• Founder & Administrator

I would also advise to try to get it exchanged if possible, as it is a proof coin and not a bullion coin.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

No I never would accept a proof coin in that condition. I will request to be exchanged asap.

I don't know where or who sell it to you, but selling that as "Proof" seems a little  false to me... at the least!

Just now, Draconicus said:

but selling that as "Proof" seems a little  false to me... at the least!

it is a proof coin, albeit with a flaw.

"Proof" is a method of minting a coin, not a grade or condition.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Thank you for your first comments. To be fair, the coin looks beautiful in hand, and of course, taking a photo with a magnification highlights the flaws. The dealer from whom I bought this coin replied to me that he checks all the coins and return the "too significant and obviously" to the RM, but cannot garantee PF70 (obviously). I have asked to the dealer if he could change it for another Yale in his stock but he replied to me harshly that I have to send back the coin for a refund, and advises me that he will never sell coins from the RM anymore to me. I have to say that I am a faithful customer for years, and bought all the QB proof gold to him without a glitch and I am a bit surprised by the tone of his answer. It seems that I am a little bit "finicky" for him 😒

For those who would like to guess, no this is not GSBE ! 😏

If you want the perfect coin it would be better to buy direct from the Royal Mint there is no fuss made about exchanging until you get the perfect coin or bale out and get a full refund again without any fuss . Under that kind of magnification 95% of all your proofs would be a fail 😅

The Royal Mint will also cover any return item postage costs .😮

I wouldn't keep or accept this coin.

Send it back, get the refund, and don't buy anything more from them.

They have done you a favour imo showing you how they behave. It's so often only when something goes wrong that you find out what an individual (including on here) or company is really like. No second chances from me with this kind of stuff.

26 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

he replied to me harshly that I have to send back the coin for a refund, and advises me that he will never sell coins from the RM anymore to me. I have to say that I am a faithful customer for years, and bought all the QB proof gold to him without a glitch and I am a bit surprised by the tone of his answer. It seems that I am a little bit "finicky" for him 😒

For those who would like to guess, no this is not GSBE ! 😏

perhaps he's feeling a little shellshocked if he's had loads of RM coins back recently?

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

I wouldn't keep or accept this coin.

Send it back, get the refund, and don't buy anything more from them.

They have done you a favour imo showing you how they behave. It's so often only when something goes wrong that you find out what an individual (including on here) or company is really like. No second chances from me with this kind of stuff.

This is NOT Goldsilver ! 

The dealer should have picked up on this but did not (nor did the Mint unless it occured in transit). Send back and refund 100% and send him this link and a snotty letter after you get your money back explaining a 5 year old could have spotted it.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/coin-collecting/striking-standards/

After striking, each Proof coin is removed from the press by hand and checked for imperfections. The dies are cleaned with air between each coin to ensure that no marks or imperfections are caused during striking

4 minutes ago, Oldun said:

The dealer should have picked up on this but did not (nor did the Mint unless it occured in transit). Send back and refund 100% and send him this link and a snotty letter after you get your money back explaining a 5 year old could have spotted it.

https://www.royalmint.com/discover/coin-collecting/striking-standards/

After striking, each Proof coin is removed from the press by hand and checked for imperfections. The dies are cleaned with air between each coin to ensure that no marks or imperfections are caused during striking

Unfortunately this is only theory for the RM

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

Hello

I have received this QB Yale proof 1/4 oz . Seems good except these flaws shown on the picture.  I need your advice if this is acceptable or not for you. The flaw on the inner rim can be seen with naked eyes

Thank you

Yale Proof.jpg

Looks like the frosting has picked up in the die . 

8 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Unfortunately this is only theory for the RM

To be fair to The RM, they do a pretty good job. In your case, the dealer you ordered through has 100% failed in duty to inspect on your behalf. You could have bought direct from the RM and returned it for a refund without the crappy letter from them. Horrid dealer whoever it us. Well shot of them imho.

1 minute ago, Oldun said:

To be fair to The RM, they do a pretty good job.

Yes, it would have been fair from me to say "sometimes". I have other flawless coins from them. The question is to find the good ones, and the dealers that do their job and consider their customers.  

Review

Dealer failed to spot a with the naked eye flaw. You ask for a refund and they tell YOU your custom is no longer required. Huh ? They failed and are making you pay for it ? In what world is that acceptable ? Next time, video the opening of any package you receive as evidence it is theirs. They have probably been scammed by buyers replacing good  coins with bad and have kneejerked. Having said that, you have been a good customer so to be honest, the dealer has no redeeming qualities in this instance whatsoever.

16 minutes ago, Oldun said:

To be fair to The RM, they do a pretty good job. In your case, the dealer you ordered through has 100% failed in duty to inspect on your behalf. You could have bought direct from the RM and returned it for a refund without the crappy letter from them. Horrid dealer whoever it us. Well shot of them imho.

Not good enough. They shouldn't allow any naked eye flaws out the door, especially to dealers, who shouldn't have to check all their RM coins. It's easy for a retail consumer to check the odd coin but many dealers will be receiving dozens of them.

5 minutes ago, Oldun said:

Review

Dealer failed to spot a with the naked eye flaw. You ask for a refund and they tell YOU your custom is no longer required. Huh ? They failed and are making you pay for it ? In what world is that acceptable ? Next time, video the opening of any package you receive as evidence it is theirs. They have probably been scammed by buyers replacing good  coins with bad and have kneejerked. Having said that, you have been a good customer so to be honest, the dealer has no redeeming qualities in this instance whatsoever.

I sometimes feel that the world is turning upside down.  Where are the values of respect and consideration ? I think there are obviously a lot of unscrupulous buyers, but here, despite the reseller's experience with me, I have the impression that the business boils down to buy, pay and sh..p.
I assume that returning the piece does not pose a problem because there will always be a customer who will buy it , closing his mouth

10 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Not good enough. They shouldn't allow any naked eye flaws out the door, especially to dealers, who shouldn't have to check all their RM coins. It's easy for a retail consumer to check the odd coin but many dealers will be receiving dozens of them.

Disagree. Dealers also have a duty of care to inspect any coins. Problems can also occur after inspection at The RM.

Archived