• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What happened to the Trade Dollar series?

FFkook

The serie continues. The proof versions, silver and gold are released first. The third coin, the Chinese TD  has been released at the beginning of march ahead of the BU that will not take too long to come.

Next to come in the following months will be the Japanese TD, and the fith and last one will be the French TD (Piastre), probably released at the end of the year or maybe beginning of 2020.

Chinese proof TD

Silver-Chinese-TD-Reverse-2.jpg

I noticed the gold chinese one before, thought they may have stopped with the bullion version and only continued with proofs, like the Dutch mint did with the lion dollar(which is stupid by the way).. 

21 minutes ago, FFkook said:

I noticed the gold chinese one before, thought they may have stopped with the bullion version and only continued with proofs, like the Dutch mint did with the lion dollar(which is stupid by the way).. 

The Dutch mint is not the EIC mint and this is just speculation from you, I got the US TD proof, way before the BU version was released.

When I started out, I wasn't especially keen on coins that depicted dragons, etc. - but I coming round more and more, and that Chinese Trade Dollar really ticks the box!

5 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

The Dutch mint is not the EIC mint and this is just speculation from you, I got the US TD proof, way before the BU version was released.

No speculation, 2017 was the only year they struck bullion Lion Dollars, they didnt strike them in 2018 and neither will they in 2019.

What I meant was, I hope the EIC won't stop with the bullion versions like the Dutch mint did with the Lion Dollars. 

3 hours ago, Fastnick said:

When I started out, I wasn't especially keen on coins that depicted dragons, etc. - but I coming round more and more, and that Chinese Trade Dollar really ticks the box!

The dragons seem to be a better quality coin, more detail seems to be put into them generally...maybe as the chinese are demanding with them, the way the Americans are for eagles and the brits are for G & TD....lol.

• 1 month later...
On 12/05/2019 at 13:02, FFkook said:

No speculation, 2017 was the only year they struck bullion Lion Dollars, they didnt strike them in 2018 and neither will they in 2019.

What I meant was, I hope the EIC won't stop with the bullion versions like the Dutch mint did with the Lion Dollars. 

Here we go !

https://goldsilver.be/fr/divers/2716-1-oz-silver-chinese-trade-dollar-st-helena-2019.html

Just bought myself 3.it looks nice and I'm a sucker for coins with dragons on them.i have them on a bulk order so it'll be close to Xmas before I get them in hand.hopefully someone will stick up a few in hand photos which always seem nicer than the advertising picture.

• 10 months later...

Started to see the latest (and last) of this series up for grabs, this is the French one. These are the St. Helena coins, I think there’s a similar set for Nieu.

Edited to add that I’ve just read on another thread that the Nieu ones are the proof coins.

29C6A857-D214-4771-AC8C-6AD3463D768A.png

Archived