• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New collector of expensive shiny stuff

SilvergunSuperman

Evening all, recent convert to this expensive hobby of yours  :)

Over the last couple of months or so I've been buying some gold & silver, mixture of coins and bars. Original intention was just to stack the best value metal I could find but it has become a small varied collection already, oops.

I look forward to browsing through the forum and absorbing some good advice  :)

Over the last couple of months or so I've been buying some gold & silver, mixture of coins and bars. Original intention was just to stack the best value metal I could find but it has become a small varied collection already, oops.

LOL...Don't worry, we've all succumbed to some extent to the dark force that is known as collecting... ;)  

Welcome from another ex-stacker, confirmed collector.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

So, how is your stack looking so far? What's your favourite?

So far I have accumulated... a 1/2oz gold kangaroo nugget, a qtr oz Baird gold bar, 2x 2 Rand coins, 2x 1 ducats, a 1/10th oz gold maple and a 1/20th oz Isle of Man angel.

Also, 10x Baird silver 1oz rounds, 20x 1oz Scottsdale 1oz bars and a 250g silver Umicore bar.

I must say the gold nugget is beautiful and definitely my favourite piece so far. I will probably continue to stack 2rands and ducats as they are the best value I can find, while the collector in me will no doubt also occasionally splash out. It can be right addictive though - can see why wars have been started over this stuff  :D

• Founder & Administrator

Welcome to The Silver Forum. How did you find out about the forum?

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

Hi mate , welcome .

I wouldn't worry about becoming a collector as well as a stacker. Personally I think if you buy what you like and you research your purchases so your not paying well over the odds then you won't go far wrong.

I actually think there is sometimes better long term gains to be had in the more collectable stuff rather than your bog standard maples etc

The main problem in collecting I can see is are you really ever going to want to sell all the coins that you really like?

Anyway don't listen to me , what do I know , I've only been here a month myself

Daz

Welcome to The Silver Forum. How did you find out about the forum?

I actually specifically looked for a UK forum to find out the best places to buy silver, in particular hoping to avoid the VAT issue. I've bought all of my gold and silver from either Baird/Goldline or the Gold Bullion Co, but discovering STG and CoinInvest has opened my eyes to other alternatives.

Hi mate , welcome .

I wouldn't worry about becoming a collector as well as a stacker. Personally I think if you buy what you like and you research your purchases so your not paying well over the odds then you won't go far wrong.

I actually think there is sometimes better long term gains to be had in the more collectable stuff rather than your bog standard maples etc

The main problem in collecting I can see is are you really ever going to want to sell all the coins that you really like?

Anyway don't listen to me , what do I know , I've only been here a month myself

Daz

Good point about not wanting to sell your collectibles. I think I will end up going down the route of stacking the best value bullion coins and also treating myself to a few coins I like the look of. As it happens my 1/2oz nugget was cheaper than a 1/2oz bar so I'm always looking out for a bargain. A few quid is often a few %  :D

• Founder & Administrator

Thanks Silvergun Superman, it's good to know how members find the forum so that we can get even more members.

It seems like a lot of members find the forum simply from searches as we have a high google ranking. So expecting the forum to grow a lot as time passes :)

I am liking your display pic of boxing roo nugget! Nice coin!

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

• 2 weeks later...

Archived