• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hundreds of notifications/posts by ChrisSilver?

Has anyone else had this today? I follow @ChrisSIlver so I'm getting hundreds of notifications that he is commenting on and then closing sales threads.

The front page doesn't work for me (Firefox, Windows PC) so I generally rely on the Activity section and my notifications to use the site, but both have been 'spammed' all day by this activity.

I've PMed @ChrisSIlver but received no reply. I haven't been able to find any thread or notification about this, apologies if there has been, please point me in the right direction! I'm a bit concerned that with no notification something 'a bit odd' is going on when it makes the site pretty unusable. Or is it perhaps something in my settings?

@morezone @HelpingHands @barney

I'd be grateful to know what's going on here! Thanks in advance :)

2 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

It'll be because of this...

Many thanks!

Surely there is a way to do this without making the forum basically unusable for a day though @ChrisSIlver and my notifications being spammed, or am I the only one affected? :wacko:

5 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Many thanks!

Surely there is a way to do this without making the forum basically unusable for a day though @ChrisSIlver and my notifications being spammed, or am I the only one affected? :wacko:

Anyone who follows @ChrisSIlver would have experienced the same. I am guessing the posts were auto-generated so perhaps there is a way @ChrisSIlver can stop auto-generated posts from creating notifications for followers?

14 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Anyone who follows @ChrisSIlver would have experienced the same. I am guessing the posts were auto-generated so perhaps there is a way @ChrisSIlver can stop auto-generated posts from creating notifications for followers?

Thanks! It's the Activity tab for me too which is the best/only practical way to use the forum for me as the front page with the categories doesn't work/never has...

• Founder & Administrator

Yes, sorry about that. I didn't realise it would make a load of notifications for people following me. It has also made a huge list in the activity feeds etc. 

I have already emailed the developer to see if it is possible to hide those, basically I need the auto comment that goes in a sales topic before it is closed to be put in silently, this will be done in the future, the developer is good but just takes a while to get back to me.

In the meantime, this should all go away in a day or two once it has finished marking old topics has closed, there are several years of old topics that it needs to get through. After that the closed topics won't show so regularly in the activity feed, and eventually won\t show at all once it has been made silent.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

30 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Thanks! It's the Activity tab for me too which is the best/only practical way to use the forum for me as the front page with the categories doesn't work/never has...

What do you mean by this? Please can you submit a separate error report in the error forum section and I will look into it.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers

50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

I have updated the info here to keep you updated: 

Discounts / Offers

22 hours ago, ChrisSIlver said:

What do you mean by this? Please can you submit a separate error report in the error forum section and I will look into it.

Sorry Chris (but you'll be relieved to hear no problem!), I've 'investigated' and it was my fault on the settings. For some reason I had the main forum page set to 'fluid' which was pretty useless as it just showed me a list of topics I wasn't very much interested in (mainly support/technical ones). I have now found the 'table' format button alongside which is the default (I must have accidentally switched soon after joining, hence me relying on the 'activity' tab). That's the one that properly shows all the forum sections and sub-sections on the homepage, so all good again :) 'Activity' though still will always be crucial to the way I use the forum though and I'm sure I'm not alone there.

Interestingly, I've been a member of many forums for very many years, and the PM system works rather uniquely on this software compared to anything I have previously come across. A couple of issues have cropped up recently that highlighted some possible problems if members don't know exactly how it works (and it seems many don't). Is there already a guide to this or should I make a post somewhere to let folks know (I think it's important info) or would you like to?

6 hours ago, kimchi said:

A couple of issues have cropped up recently that highlighted some possible problems if members don't know exactly how it works (and it seems many don't). Is there already a guide to this or should I make a post somewhere to let folks know (I think it's important info) or would you like to?

Feel free to make a post/guide about this, sounds like it could be very helpful. If you have any ideas about how it can be improved please do PM me and I can discuss any possible improvements with others, if the ideas are very good there is a strong likelihood (depending on the limitations of software and development costs) that they will be rated upon in the future and improvements made.  

Discounts / Offers

Are all these posts gonna be auto-deleted from my activity line or do I have to go through each one - humph.

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

47 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I have always found the notification system difficult to get to grips with, is there a guide to this somewhere?

Isn’t a guide but I should make at least a simple one showing members how they can adjust their notification settings and how each of the main settings affects how notifications are received.

Discounts / Offers

25 minutes ago, KitboyE17 said:

Are all these posts gonna be auto-deleted from my activity line or do I have to go through each one - humph.

You won’t need to delete them, or even click on them to read. The activity feed doesn’t give totals for amount of unread topics, new topics created show at the top so they will replace these ones anyway.

If you do however want to mark them all as read you can simply mark the sales forums as read, if you need help doing that please send me a PM and I will show you how to do it. 

Discounts / Offers

Archived