• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Daft question, gold bars or coins

itslikegolddust

Another good entry-level bet, if you want to go for 24 carat gold with that lovely unique yellowish-gold colour (as opposed to the coppery sovereign 22 carat), then check out the 10th ounce gold Britannia coin... Bullion by post has it for around £113 for one coin... which is pretty much as good as you'll get it for 3.11 grams of gold, if you want a brand new coin. That's almost a third cheaper than the quarter sov per gram...

Everything down to your budget, another way is to buy jewelry, wedding rings especially, they don't have any stones to screwup the weight, you can get a gold calculator on Google and then get a price per gram for the item you find on fleabay or in person and then pay less then spot on a lot of occaisions....it kept your outlay down and your fix and investment good...you can find brooches and bracelets that are none stone bound and find things you can even wear for spot.

8 hours ago, mr-dead said:

I agree, about the size of a sim card and pretty underwhelming

You WOULD think that considering the size of the bars you have lol. I think some 1gm bars are gorgeous; pamps for example come in two sizes for 1gm. Chunky small and thin larger. 1gm Emirates are nice too. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

9 hours ago, itslikegolddust said:

Newbie question, Just having a peruse on Bullion by Post and they are selling quarter sovs for £108.80 (1.99g gold) and 1g bars at £43.10 (2g £86.20). Are the coins worth the extra premium? Is it better to buy bars or coins?

Cheers 

1/4 sovs are very high premium for what they are. I have a few, but all bought 2-3% over spot - the only time I would buy them. Buy known coins and stick to lowest premium. Become a premium member on the forum and see deals that are better than retailers. For example I often sell 2.5gm bars at the same price as 2gm bars posted from bullion by post. Sometimes list stuff at spot. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived