• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Questions about 2019 Silver Proof Britannias

goldmember44

I notice that this year, 2019, there is for the first time a brilliant uncirculated one ounce silver that matches the design of the proof coin, rather than looking like the bullion coins. This is interesting to me. Anyone else noticed? And what is the value of this brilliant uncirculated coin above the bullion ones? Certainly the lower, limited mintage of course. But it already comes at a hefty premium at £52, and the proof version at £85. 

Now I'm also intrigued about the 2019 silver proof coin range... because it seems to be selling much faster than the 2018 coins -- many of whom are still available for sale on the Royal Mint site. Perhaps it's the lower mintages? Or is it a more attractive design with the inclusion of the lion? I do find it attractive... 

Anyone here collecting silver proof Britannias? It seems to me that £85 is a hefty price tag... and it's anyone's guess whether it will appreciate in the future. But yes I know they are not normally looked at as investments, but rather a pretty keepsake I guess... any thoughts on the matter?

Here are the images of the brilliant uncirculated and proof 2019 coins:

br19agn-the-britannia-2019-one-ounce-silthe-britannia-2019-uk-one-ounce-silver-p

4 minutes ago, GrahamDiamond said:

Brilliant Design, I have the Six coin Silver Proof set and the Quarter Ounce Gold. Check out my Videos to see the coins close up Coinster !!!

Aha! Just found your channel, will check it out.. thanks!

This rendition does nothing for the design, which IMO is washed out. I have one in the designer frame, which is nice (overpriced though!). I have tried to get these but think the 52 quid admission price too steep for what it is.

Lately the RM seem to be adding extra (in my opinion unnecessary) extra detail to the coin fields which seem to clutter the coin. I'd be tempted by this if they removed the 'clouds' and 'sunbeams' and whatever the horizontal lower field squiggles are supposed to be.

Oh, and if the price were realistic.

This isn't the first Brit to be issued as BU, they all used to be when the RM had a little integrity...

2 hours ago, TeaTime said:

Lately the RM seem to be adding extra (in my opinion unnecessary) extra detail to the coin fields which seem to clutter the coin. I'd be tempted by this if they removed the 'clouds' and 'sunbeams' and whatever the horizontal lower field squiggles are supposed to be.

Agree, stylistic flourish that doesn't add anything to a great main design, and may put some off.  I note the Perth mint doing similar with the Kook, so i expect this to be a trend for a few years.

11 hours ago, STONE said:

Who is currently carrying these?

I am looking to get the proof, and also the 2018 and 2017 silver 1oz proofs, all still available at the Royal Mint ... I'm actually surprised these are still not sold out, the mintages are not that large. That can only mean that there are not that many collectors of the Britannia series. And this is probably one of the best known and consistent silver coin series in the world. What does that say about proof coin collecting in general? Lovely coins, iconic designs even patriotic...but it still doesn't sell well.

1 hour ago, goldmember44 said:

I am looking to get the proof, and also the 2018 and 2017 silver 1oz proofs, all still available at the Royal Mint ... I'm actually surprised these are still not sold out, the mintages are not that large. That can only mean that there are not that many collectors of the Britannia series. And this is probably one of the best known and consistent silver coin series in the world. What does that say about proof coin collecting in general? Lovely coins, iconic designs even patriotic...but it still doesn't sell well.

It says everyone is waiting for them to appear on the secondary market at a more reasonable price.

I think they are still popular coins (except the 2017 perhaps).  I just wish they'd go back to putting the proof design on the regular version as well.

20 minutes ago, Seasider said:

It says everyone is waiting for them to appear on the secondary market at a more reasonable price.

I think they are still popular coins (except the 2017 perhaps).  I just wish they'd go back to putting the proof design on the regular version as well.

The thing is, if only a small number of people buy them from the Mint, it will also mean not many even reach the secondary market...or that the secondary market is small enough to account for only a fraction of the overall mintage. That in itself is also a negative sign for Britannia collecting. 

Regardless, I am going to buck the trend and take a gamble on getting them at the Mint. I much prefer getting coins from the Mint, because if they are not perfect I can send them back for replacements. When you buy on the secondary market there are no such guarantees, it is more of a gamble whether you will land a perfect coin or not (buying online). At best you can get your money back, not an exchange for a better coin.

BTW I actually like the 2017 version, it's different and unique :)

10 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

The thing is, if only a small number of people buy them from the Mint, it will also mean not many even reach the secondary market..

Which you could see as a positive.  The fewer there are the higher the prices are likely to be when they come on the market, justifying buying them from the mint.  Who doesn't wish they had bought the 2017 sovereign at RM's issue price?  In a few years maybe we will be saying the same about the 2017 Britannia.

• 1 month later...

Archived