• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

assistance needed

Mark10110

hello,
I have stacked silver only strictly for about 2 years my videos linked here...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7bvleXzMdY

I want to start getting gold but I am torn on if i am best getting .999 or sovereigns and if I am being honest i am severely uneducated in gold.

My reason for getting gold is the same reason I get silver, 50% private secret Pension and 50% security.

I don't have interest in collecting high premiums but I will pay slightly more if there is a change they will get better value over time like with the queens beasts series in silver
but I don't buy for any super serious premiums.

do you guys have any information to help me as youtube is a maze of conflicting information and am I right thinking Atkinsons is the best place to buy new uncirculated coins?

Thankyou in advance and I am looking to buy a 1oz new coin or 4 sovereigns based on your information for my next unboxing.

Over the long term if you’re just after close to spot I wouldn’t limit yourself to either. Some good deals can be had on here for both.

4 sovs would be my preferred choice then one or all can be sold as opposed to having to realise the whole value with the 1oz.   The 1oz may take longer to find a buyer too.

4 minutes ago, Elements said:

Over the long term if you’re just after close to spot I wouldn’t limit yourself to either. Some good deals can be had on here for both.

4 sovs would be my preferred choice then one or all can be sold as opposed to having to realise the whole value with the 1oz.   The 1oz may take longer to find a buyer too.

I didn't really think about the selling of the 1oz till you just mentioned it, selling a whole oz could be troublesome if I was to try and sell it in 20 years if inflation has its way with it, who knows I may end up trading it for a chomp and a curlywurley  at the rate they are gaining lately.

Sovereigns and or fractional Brits. I wouldn't worry about them being brand new, uncirculated. Whatever is cheapest! Just beware the sovereign addiction, before you know it you will be looking out for specific dates etc, it really is a slippery slope!! You have been warned :D

Just buy cheapest new bullion Sovs from reputable dealers like Atkinsons who will have them straight from the mint, imo.

Then you don't have to worry about being sucked into the semi-numismatic side of things, getting the collecting bug etc. I have a lot of respect and love hearing and seeing from the members here about historical sovs, but by sticking to modern sovs there is much less thinking involved!

Can you guys order from any US based bullion dealers? I mean, I love a gold sov like anyone else, but as far as gold goes I would be buying full 1 oz eagles or maple leafs. I can get either for only $20-$30 over spot all day long.. Does our US pre-33 gold carry a hefty premium over there? 

The selling argument (Sovereigns versus a full ounce) has a weakness in my eyes - if you buy gold regularly over a long time. Once you want to sell (when you will have reached your pension, lets say), you want a particular amount in fiat currency and you need to sell the same weight of bullion gold, either way. If you want to sell for example ca. one ounce per month to get a better pension, you would also need to sell 4 sovereigns, per month. Of course I see the point of this argument but the more gold you accumulate, the less it is valid.

Also, it might be easier to sell one Sovereign at once but selling 4 Sovereigns at once might be more of an effort than selling one ounce at once, as you might need to deal with up to 4 buyers.

In any case I would buy both Sovereigns and one ounce gold coins and start with Sovereigns - the less gold you have, and you start with zero, the more the argument for having smaller pieces is indeed valid.

3 hours ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Get deals when you can. Harrington £229 sov deal is still on.

Ok I am going to get 3 of these as a start and then maybe get a half oz brit a little later. Thanks for advice guys.

1 minute ago, Mark10110 said:

Ok I am going to get 3 of these as a start and then maybe get a half oz brit a little later. Thanks for advice guys.

Good choice- if I receive a new Sovereign and show it to my wife she’s mightily unimpressed- a Double Sovereign or a half oz draws her attention- size does matter. 

Hi, It depends on where you live on what you buy. I live in western USA and out here sovereigns do not sell that well, I think its because the public does not know the gold content. I talked to coin dealers who say they like the maples, panda, koala or brits better. One thing I do know is if your new to buying gold buy ngc or pcgs graded coins. I have seen lots of fake gold coins over the years and nothing spoils your day faster than buying a fake gold coin.

Im a fan of buying a mix, mainly because at some point I would like to travel to South Africa, China, Canada,USA.  if I plan to go and visit China for example buying a 1/10 oz Au Panda could potentially help aid the finance of the trip or provide some spending money in the local currency. 

6 hours ago, Mark10110 said:

Just make sure to opt out of all marketing mail and if they call you trying to sell you expensive proofs tel them flat out you're not interested :)

17 hours ago, kimchi said:

Just buy cheapest new bullion Sovs from reputable dealers like Atkinsons who will have them straight from the mint, imo.

Then you don't have to worry about being sucked into the semi-numismatic side of things, getting the collecting bug etc. I have a lot of respect and love hearing and seeing from the members here about historical sovs, but by sticking to modern sovs there is much less thinking involved!

Agree, it’s just a pity about the colour!

I’ve went and bought a couple of older Sovs just to have a bit of yellow stuff in my life. 

My new and ‘cheap’ Sovs look like new pennies 🙄

On 01/05/2019 at 06:35, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Get deals when you can. Harrington £229 sov deal is still on.

I placed my order for the 3 Billion sovs and I had a phonecall today from someone at Harrington trying to encourage me to buy proofs instead?

He was saying something about how Sovs have stayed the same price for over 500 years and proofs have doubled and blah blah blah and to be honest he has kind of made me feel like I should have avoided Sovs altogether. 

Can someone shed some light on this because I didn't expect a dealer to phone me to get me to change my order before.

1 minute ago, Mark10110 said:

I placed my order for the 3 Billion sovs and I had a phonecall today from someone at Harrington trying to encourage me to buy proofs instead?

He was saying something about how Sovs have stayed the same price for over 500 years and proofs have doubled and blah blah blah and to be honest he has kind of made me feel like I should have avoided Sovs altogether. 

Can someone shed some light on this because I didn't expect a dealer to phone me to get me to change my order before.

See the recent threads on here about this company - they are selling cheap sovs so they can get your details and then try to make you feel like you're committing financial suicide if you don't buy their overpriced proofs. I did warn you about 'the phonecall'!

Just now, kimchi said:

See the recent threads on here about this company - they are selling cheap sovs so they can get your details and then try to make you feel like you're committing financial suicide if you don't buy their overpriced proofs. I did warn you about 'the phonecall'!

I did check the box saying "no marketing or offers"

I think I will avoid this company in the future, nothing like someone phoning you telling you "yea that stuff you are buying from us? bad investment" to make you feel a bit upset.

4 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

Ignore them and ask to take you off mailing list.

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

9 minutes ago, Mark10110 said:

I think I will avoid this company in the future, nothing like someone phoning you telling you "yea that stuff you are buying from us? bad investment" to make you feel a bit upset.

It absolutely sucks eh? If you search the forum for their name you will find lots of recent posts about them with this deal. Not only are they very persuasive scumbags imo, their sales rep lied to me I believe (details on the Gold Deals thread iirc). You need to be very firm with them on the phone or they'll start sending you letters too despite opting out of marketing. I've just sent my first desist letter.

You got a good deal on Sovs you will never lose money on unless you sell at the wrong time, enjoy your fine purchase :) While some proofs do much better it is true, most don't, and certainly not at the prices this lot want you to buy at.

1 hour ago, Mark10110 said:

I did check the box saying "no marketing or offers"

This just reminds me of the trouble Mr Ratner got into with an after dinner speech and the new company they formed afterwards to get them out of the mire.  It was called Parcon.

You just have to read it backwards😀

I uploaded my unboxing of the Sovereigns, Also have a bit of a warning in the video about Harrington and Byrnes sales tactics.

https://youtu.be/3LzTcZlOUzM

I am impressed with how they package the items but still feel pissed at how they had the nerve to phone me to say how I am wasting my money buying bullion and not high premiums. 

Torn about if I will use them again at the minute but my next unboxing will be silver then I will focus on gold only as I am expecting Brexit by that point.

On 02/05/2019 at 12:45, Mark10110 said:

I placed my order for the 3 Billion sovs

3 Billion!! No wonder they want to sell you more, how much money have you got!! :D

Seriously though, it's them that are truly pissed for a lost sales lead, don't take it to heart, you got a good deal!

Archived